Airfix 2020

jenko

1 minute ago, Robert said:

Wonder if they have considered the Douglas Skyraider. They could do the AD-4W to start with as the AEW.1 version then have US markings as well then do the AD-6 version, providing the necessary conversion parts in 1/72 of course.

Robert

I'm sure they have considered it: we know that Airfix rejected (and so must have considered ) the Scimitar.

Airfix will surely have considered every type in their preferred time span and from it drawn a up a 'short list', although more probably a 'long list', of subjects that meet their criteria for tooling.

After that it's down to the budget, in-house resources, and providing a variety of subjects.  All of course liable to alteration from, for example, unexpectedly good (or poor) sales, competitor toolings etc.

Not sure that one of the most large-scale-produced, longest-serving combat aircraft, with extensive Vietnam usage and literally dozens of air arm users around the world, and many examples in private hands in the USA, including on the display circuit, counts as a left-field choice, especially given that Airfix has done its little brother the -15 twice, and several of its big brothers too (-21, -29 and a re-pop of someone else's -23)

On 1/18/2019 at 5:04 AM, Stew Dapple said:

I don't want to rule it out, it might be wishful thinking on my part, but it's a good-looking aeroplane with a rich, if rather tragic, combat record and the old kit sold well enough to keep it in the catalogue regularly over the years. I don't know how relevant it is, but there is no real competition for it either, maybe Special Hobby will, eventually, release their long-promised new tool of the Battle, maybe not - it's been in the 'Future Releases' section of Hannant's website for at least five years now. I understand the Hendon Battle has a cobbled-together centre section but there are a few other survivors or restorations going on... plus everything @Dave Fleming said above :) 

And while I'm indulging my wishlist, a new Lysander and Anson would not go amiss, I know Dora Wings are rumoured to be doing a Lizzie but let's face it. you'd buy the Airfix one in preference, wouldn't you? 

Cheers,

Stew

I reckon the Battle would suit Special Hobby's profile better than Airfix's, if it ever happens of course, but didn't MPM produce a range of Battles a few years back? Totally agree with your other suggestions.  I didn't know about the Dora Wings rumour.  I got up close and personal to the ARC's recently restored Lizzie at Goodwood this year.  It's a beauty and certainly re-piqued my interest in the type.  A new Anson would be great too but I'd really like a C.19.

Edited by Meatbox8
Extra info
  • Like 1

If Arma Hobby could be persuaded to do a Lysander, I'd probably buy it in preference to either Airfix or Dora! Pretty sure a couple of Polish squadrons flew them...

Hudson, Mosquito, Anson, Battle, P-38, P-47, Corsair, Ju-88 and Canberra all seem plausible options in 1:72, but I'm beginning to give up hope that the Meteor, Sea Vixen or Javelin will be downscaled!

Edited by Vulcanicity
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Vulcanicity said:

If Arma Hobby could be persuaded to do a Lysander, I'd probably buy it in preference to either Airfix or Dora! Pretty sure a couple of Polish squadrons flew them...

Hudson, Mosquito, Anson, Battle, P-38, P-47, Corsair, Ju-88 and Canberra all seem plausible options in 1:72, but I'm beginning to give up hope that the Meteor, Sea Vixen or Javelin will be downscaled!

I asked about (Airfix) downscaling at Telford and was told, with a slight note of regret 'But all that lovely detail would be lost'.

However I see a slight (though rather unlikely) possibility.  The Researcher is overloaded to the point that he can't provide the required service for all the proposed subjects.  Solution: drop one or more of the subjects and fill the gap(s) with Downscales for which the research will have already been done.

Airfix must produce a good 1/72 (or possibly 1/48, if crisply moulded and well fitting) Avro Vulcan for the international market. 

They can put it in an obscenely large red box for shop sales and do an intelligent, smaller, plain wrapper version designed for mail order.

A pity they have ruled out (claim Aerocraft) a T.7 or other twin-seat 1/48 Hunter. Beautiful colour schemes, from all the high speed silver liveries to the Breitling tiger, with potential for the FAA types too. Maybe the Shoreham tragedy has put them off.

(C'mon Revell, get the T.7 etc out in 1/32 scale. We've been waiting twenty years.) 

A 1/48 Hunting Jet Provost 3/3A, DH Vampire T.11 and, of course, the Supermarine Scimitar would be nice. But probably outsiders. Another such subject, sadly, is the true Westland Whirlwind - the canary-coloured egg beater. In any scale. 

Willbe great to see the 1/72 Buccaneer. Will go nicely with the F-4K. Now just need a Gannet AEW with a folded wings option (sorry Sword, it just looks too ugly with the wings unfurled).

Tony

7 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Now just need a Gannet AEW with a folded wings option (sorry Sword, it just looks too ugly with the wings unfurled).

That's right because every ugly aircraft looks better with its wings folded...   ...or is it just that they hide the ugliness?

8 minutes ago, Wez said:

That's right because every ugly aircraft looks better with its wings folded...   ...or is it just that they hide the ugliness?

Good you are all thinking along my lines.

Well done ...gold stars all round

Dick

8 hours ago, Viper15 said:

I'd love a twin seat Hawker Hunter

13 minutes ago, tony.t said:

A pity they have ruled out (claim Aerocraft) a T.7 or other twin-seat 1/48 Hunter. Beautiful colour schemes, from all the high speed silver liveries to the Breitling tiger, with potential for the FAA types too. Maybe the Shoreham tragedy has put them off.

(C'mon Revell, get the T.7 etc out in 1/32 scale. We've been waiting twenty years.)

Tony

I think your right about the Shoreham factor, Tony, particularly considering the vitriol that appeared in the papers afterwards. I think it will be a very, very long time, if ever, before Airfix or Revell even consider tackling the T.7 in any scale just in case they get pilloried by elements of the UK press.

Mike.

2 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Sadly, me too.  Particularly the Sea Vixen and Javelin.  I wouldn't be surprised if we get at least one fighter from WW2 each year.  Sure fire sellers I would have thought which will appeal to enthusiasts, the casual builder and youngsters.  They have always had them in their range but most of them are pretty long in the tooth and they have, slowly been replacing them.  A new Dora 9, P-47, P-51B/Mustang III (seems a very popular choice on this forum), P-38, Hellcat, Corsair, P-39, Tempest and maybe something slightly left field like a Seafire III. 

36 minutes ago, Wez said:

That's right because every ugly aircraft looks better with its wings folded...   

Apart from the Barracuda which got even uglier. So ugly it’s beautiful. Can I have one in 1:24 please.

• Like 3

Airfix appear to release at least one British post war aircraft each year in 1/72 so maybe there is still hope for a Javelin, Sea Vixen, Meteor, Scimitar, Vulcan, Tornado, Venom, Sea Venom etc😈

Robert

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Robert said:

Airfix appear to release at least one British post war aircraft each year in 1/72 so maybe there is still hope for a Javelin, Sea Vixen, Meteor, Scimitar, Vulcan, Tornado, Venom, Sea Venom etc😈

Robert

Just so there’s no confusion, the obvious aircraft family subject choice has been identified and highlighted. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I doubt the Shoreham accident has any factor, the press would look at the type, not mark, so a Hunter is a Hunter, and there is no fuss so far. (If they did the actual aircraft then maybe)

Much more likely is the fact the design of the kit means you would need a complete new kit. Each one of the four sprues would have to be different. Fuselage obviously, wing upper surface would need the fat spine and you would need a whole new cockpit set and transparencies. Airfix have been pretty innovative in the design to cope for most single seat versions, but a two seater would really be a whole new kit. Even incorporating the parts in the design ( e,g, drop in parts) would push the kit costs up.

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Robert said:

Robert

You could add a Canberra to the list!  They don't all have to be jet, so you could add a Lincoln too.

• Like 1

I'm actually curious to see what direction Airfix go now - they have covered WW2 quite extensively,, and given the post-war period a bit of coverage too. I suspect the lack of WW1 subjects post Fokker and Be2C (In spite of my efforts in stocking up on the latter) means those were not great sucesses.

What they haven't really done is the modern era -  as I recall, their last new kit was the 1/72 Harrier GR9. I half expected a new Tornado this year, but there is also scope to replace their ancient Typhoon, to say nothing of their YF22 kit.

The new types entering UK service (Prefect/Phenom/T6) probably don't have enough recognition in the public eye yet.

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

I'm actually curious to see what direction Airfix go now - they have covered WW2 quite extensively,

This is only true, and then only partly true, if one takes into account earlier releases no longer in the catalogue. Mosquito and Spitfire Vb have recently been mentioned, but there are many types that have long been out of production eg Halifax, Hampden, Invader, Boomerang, Hellcat, P-38, Storch, Ju-88 and of course my own especial wish, the Avenger.  Of variable accuracy and none up to modern standards of tooling.  Some have limited availability, but at a price (hello Hasegawa)

There's also a surprising number never tooled by Airfix even though examples still exist!  Me410, Ar234, Beaufort, Tempest, Albacore, Seafire, Fulmar, P-51A, B & C, 2 Stage Mosquito to name but a few.

My guess it that they will continue to 'drip feed' these golden oldies back into the market either through re-release or re-tooling.  But which and when: impossible to guess.  Thanks to Britmodeller one can, so to speak, dream out loud.

• Like 1