Airfix 2020

jenko

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I believe Hasegawa is set to re-release their 1/48 A-4C quite soon. It will be interesting to see how they price it! 

Cheers. Dave 

Yeah, but I was talking about an A-4P in 48 nicely priced.

On 1/8/2019 at 8:22 AM, Caerbannog said:

1:48 Hampden

1:48 DH 88 Comet

1:48 Sea King

1:48 Buccaneer

1:48 Vampire

1:48 Spey Phantom

1:144 new tool Space Shuttle (will never happen...)

1:24 Lunar Module Eagle (well - did not happen this year - will never ever happen ever sadly. Would be such an impressive sight)

Oh how I keep threatening to scratch build a 1/24 lunar module🖒I have the old Monogram 1/48 one as a basis for taking measurements from.

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 6:36 PM, Plasto said:

Hi,

What you come to realise is that this annual thread typically runs to about 40 pages before it gets locked. So in some ways the sooner we get there the better...

...Ultimately the thread is bourne out of the hope that someone at Airfix is reading it and collates the wishes / guesses into must do tooling list. I think we all know this probably doesn’t happen as the Model kit industry runs on a different product selection methodology. 

But the ‘fun’ is guessing. Somewhat like an Adult Santa’s wish list...

Ultimately it harmless but shows the affection the BM membership has for Airfix.  That’s it’s true value..

Take it easy

Plasto

I love the annual Airfix thread for next year.

It's like the pennies in the jar at the village fair, I never win, I always play, it wouldn't be Britmodeller without it now.

Oh,

I'm in for a 1/72 Vulcan, just like every year!

• Like 2

Does anyone else besides me find it more than a bit tragic that the Corgi range for 2019 has nice renditions of a Halifax B.III and a Ju 88A-5 but the Airfix range doesn't? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Does anyone else besides me find it more than a bit tragic that the Corgi range for 2019 has nice renditions of a Halifax B.III and a Ju 88A-5 but the Airfix range doesn't? 

I was looking at that the other day, surely they will come in due course.

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

They're fairly old tools now, I know I've had both Corgi types in my collection for a good few years now.

However, Corgi and Airfix clearly do share data and release the same types in their respective materials, evidenced by the Gladiator, Lightning, the recent UK Phantom and a good number of others so you never know!, keep on hoping.....

On 1/9/2019 at 4:47 PM, sniperUK said:

Sadly they don't, the Lynx and Merlin kits were a major failure, much as I would like Whirlwind, Puma, Scout and Wasp it is. Just not going to happen with Airfix, I can even get them Puma and Scout to scan.

Interesting to hear this, it confirms a feeling that I've had over the last few months: I've had an Airfix 1/72 Army Lynx helicopter for sale for a while, I was expecting this to sell quickly considering that it's been outside the catalogue for a long time and yet it took me a few months. All while several threads saw people asking for more helicopters. Now I understand why that kit has not been in the catalogue for a long time and why the same occurred to the Puma.

P.S. now my Lynx has found a happy new owner, while my interest in the Puma has been temporarily satisfied by a 1/72 die-cast model bought at the local flea market... it's not as good as a proper kit, but it's not that bad either... and the same guy also had a Sycamore and a Belvedere, two types that I don't think Airfix will ever do as new tools

Edited by Giorgio N

I suspect the issue with helicopters is partly that they’re not as glamorous as pointy grey things, and partly that the rotors either need to be folded or they take up a large space. I had the MRC 1/48 CH-46 and CH-53 until I reluctantly accepted that I’d never have anywhere to put them when built...

Not sure where that leaves Italeri, mind, who seem to like their choppers..,

best,

M

On 11/01/2019 at 02:01, Radpoe Spitfire said:

Oh how I keep threatening to scratch build a 1/24 lunar module🖒I have the old Monogram 1/48 one as a basis for taking measurements from.

Check Vincent Meens Shapeways shop: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/spacemodels

Every now and then I check his store there is something new. I really need to win the lottery.

I really wished Airfix would put Vincent Meens on their payroll 🙂

On 1/10/2019 at 7:18 PM, Wez said:

You forgot 1/72 Canberra B.2/6!

Let's hope Airfix don't...! 👍

... not sure about all the points made above but who could deny Airfix's penchant for cold war RAF /RN aircraft subjects (and the Canberra served in 50+ RAF squadrons;  OK not all with B2/B6s 😉).  

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grayhawk said:

Helicopters don't sell?!  Tell that to Airfix, Revell, Hasegawa, Italeri, Special Hobby, etc. etc....  Sorry but I don't by it but I do BUY them.

I buy them , lots of them, Airfix told me when I was showing their researcher the Puma and Scout they could scan when they were scanning the Buccaneer.

11 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

I buy them , lots of them, Airfix told me when I was showing their researcher the Puma and Scout they could scan when they were scanning the Buccaneer.

Wow!

I wonder if they did a scan... I don't suppose you can tell, so I won't ask... :whistle:  But just imagine a Puma and Scout in 1/48: I'm in! :thumbsup:

Edited by RichG

All 1/72nd scale

Now the Buccaneer is planned and provided a RAF boxing will follow... 

* Sea Vixen FAW.2

* Sea Venom

* Javelin 

Would be great.

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, RichG said:

Wow!

I wonder if they did a scan... I don't suppose you can tell, so I won't ask... :whistle:  But just imagine a Puma and Scout in 1/48: I'm in! :thumbsup:

They didn't and there is really little to no chance they will ,shame really but choppers don't sell in the numbers needed.

1/48 RAF Puma please

1/72 new tool Tornado GR.1/4 and F.3 - they'll all be in museums so plenty material to LIDAR 😢

Eng

Now that the wish list outpourings have subsided it’s time to take a rational look.  Dreamers stop reading here.

Airfix will have already chosen and even now be working on their choices for 2020 and beyond.  Look at their current choice criteria to see what might or might not be.

- There MUST be either an extant example or Manufacturers’ fabrication drawings.  So despite repeated requests, no Wellesley, Stirling, Do-215, Hornet and a host more.

- Helicopters don’t sell, and seemingly WW l doesn’t either.

- As ‘reissuing’ is the norm, it is near-essential to have other variants.  Many examples such as Beaufighter, Blenheim, He 111, MiG-17.

- Where there are basically no other variants eg Walrus, Sea Fury, Tiger Moth, there has to be a worldwide variety of users and colour schemes.  Merely repeating different squadron codes on the same background isn’t enough, so no Scimitar, Battle for example.  However a Dragon Rapide is entirely possible.

Don’t look where top grade kits are already available eg Bf-110, F6F from Eduard, F4U or P-51 from Tamiya, unless much better and/or cheaper.

So what does that leave?  Well, an ocean of types that are hard to find, expensive (hallo Hasegawa), or for which no tooling to current standards exists.  I’ll cite Boston\Havoc, (Sea)Venom, Beaufort and lots more.  Personally I’m hoping for an Avenger with folding wings.

• Like 1

Denford,

I expect that most people realize that, for new tools at least, Airfix know what they are working to release for next year already. What is wrong with a wee bit of fun in second guessing what is coming out along with a bit of wish listing along with it? Sniper has helped beef out the facts a wee bit when he mentioned Nov 17 for the Buccs LIDAR visit and Feb 18 for the tooling visit. However, the Hellcat from what i remember was put back a couple of times but there seems to be a bit of a change in tact that i think will be successful. For that reason, i think the development guys have re-scale projects ready to go, 2 year projects they know people want, and background projects that some of us dream about!

Not sure what you are getting at with no other variants. I dont see the Sea Fury and Walrus as having enough of a worldwide variety of users, but the Walrus must have been a first run success as they put out another run quite quickly. The Tiggie on the other hand, i just wonder why it took so long. My 2 1/72 kits will now be OOB with the 48th built as one i have had the pleasure of working on! Back on track, we have had the Sea Vixen, so why not a Scimitar, or Attacker for that matter? We have had a Walrus, so why no Battle? We have had a Javelin, so why no P-61? 

And what is wrong with Airfix trying to get in amongst the supposed top echelon of kit producers? I might be wrong, but isnt the 1/48th P-51D up there with the best? Next up for the Airfix treatment for me is the P-47 in 1/48th, even though i mainly build 1/72nd.

The ones you cite, well i have my Boston on the shelf, dont know what the Venom or Vampire have been missed and i have very little interest in the Beaufort. To that end, i only see a Hunter FGA9 and a rebox of the Bucc with RAF marks.

Arabest,

Geoff.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 10:36 PM, Plasto said:

Hi,

What you come to realise is that this annual thread typically runs to about 40 pages before it gets locked. So in some ways the sooner we get there the better.

Along the way it’ll be populated with guesses, insights from folk who have some connection with some museum or other where Airfix have scanned this or that. More guesses. The odd whinge and whine about prices. Assertions that Airfix absolutely must do this or that. 

This is or that is in the wrong scale.

It’ll drift off topic a bit then there will be more guesses. When the show season arrives someone will pin a poor unfortunate Airfix employee in a corner of a display tent and report back that.

’When I said 1/24 Vulcan He went slightly pale’

This will then be discussed as proof that a 1/24 Vulcan is on the way..

Ultimately the thread is bourne out of the hope that someone at Airfix is reading it and collates the wishes / guesses into must do tooling list. I think we all know this probably doesn’t happen as the Model kit industry runs on a different product selection methodology. 

But the ‘fun’ is guessing. Somewhat like an Adult Santa’s wish list...

Ultimately it harmless but shows the affection the BM membership has for Airfix.  That’s it’s true value..

Take it easy

Plasto

You missed ‘they won’t do that because someone else is doing, will do, has done it’...

On 1/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, Grayhawk said:

Helicopters don't sell?!  Tell that to Airfix, Revell, Hasegawa, Italeri, Special Hobby, etc. etc....  Sorry but I don't by it but I do BUY them.

Well, Airfix after the acquisition by Hornby issued 2 1/48 kits and 1in 1/72. Hasegawa in their 50 or so years on the market has issued what, 5 helicopters ? Maybe 6 ?
Revell issued a few but several kits in their catalogue came from... Italeri ! That is really the only company to have constantly issued new helicopter kits. Fujimi did several in the past but their more recent helicopter mould is probably 30 year old

So I'd say that yes, if we tell them that helicopters don't sell, Airfix and Hasegawa will simply agree.

There seem to be a few exceptions, the all yellow Sea King is one and the Wessex seems to be another one, as Italeri has kept this pretty much constantly in their catalogue. Attack copters sure attract some more attention, but the rest...

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

A new Harvard or Texan in 1/48 would be Nice. 

I'd agree in 1/72nd, whilst the 1/48th Occidental/Italeri version doesn't make any money for Airfix, it is still a serviceable kit.  However, in 1/72nd, whilst the Academy Texan, again not making any money for Airfix, is also a nice kit, there is a big gap for a modern kit of a long canopied Harvard such as a IIb.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

On 1/11/2019 at 4:02 AM, VMA131Marine said:

Not that it is for me, particularly, but there is a gaping hole in their catalogue that is Ju 88 shaped.

• Like 1