Airfix 2020

jenko

Although not my era, l am surprised that no one has mentioned the other Avro aircraft............ the Anson of course. It would be an ideal size in 1/48 an so many variants.

Robert

• Like 2

Not a lot of interest for me this time only the BUCCANEER and maybe another Bulldog!

Talking to someone on the Stand at Telford was told  Helicopters did not sell when asked about doing a Whirlwind!

Steve

5 minutes ago, Rafdec said:

Not a lot of interest for me this time only the BUCCANEER and maybe another Bulldog!

Talking to someone on the Stand at Telford was told  Helicopters did not sell when asked about doing a Whirlwind!

Steve

Sadly they don't, the Lynx and Merlin kits were a major failure, much as I would like Whirlwind, Puma, Scout and Wasp it is. Just not going to happen with Airfix, I can even get them Puma and Scout to scan.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Although not my era, l am surprised that no one has mentioned the other Avro aircraft............ the Anson of course. It would be an ideal size in 1/48 an so many variants.

Robert

I'd raise you an Anson C21 as no-one IIRC apart from Aeroclub has ever done one.... lots about in Museums... TT

6 hours ago, chris57 said:

Hi Dennis  Airfix did a Scottish Aviation Bulldog ages ago, kit number 061. In fact a guy in Germany is listing some on THAT auction site at the moment. cheers Chris

I mean not covered recently. They did Chipmunk, Tucano (both older tools), Vampire, Gnat, Hawk, JP. BTW there is also a piston Provost to cover.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

One thing I'd like to see from Airfix in 2020 are instrument panels with proper instrument detals moulded in place for their 1/72 kits !

It's the kind of detail that I can accept from cheap kits (up to a point...) but not in something like a 6 series kit with a £25 price tag.

If they feel that decals are better for beginners fair enough, add both a flat and a detailed panel like other companies do. If Zvezda can do it on their snap-fit kits, why can't Airfix ?

Couldn't agree more Giorgio, personally can't abide decals for instrument panels and consoles, as you rightly point out, others manage to provide moulded details or flat panels for decals.

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

The latter can be either some equivalent of this year MiG-17, an aircraft widely used around the world. A Mirage III ? SH is doing one, so maybe something different would be better for me. Another MiG ? Or why not an F-84F ?

Plenty of users around the world for the Thunderstreak, lots of lovely Cold War colour schemes.  Can't help but think it would be the prey in a dogfight double with the MiG-17 though!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wez said:

Plenty of users around the world for the Thunderstreak, lots of lovely Cold War colour schemes.  Can't help but think it would be the prey in a dogfight double with the MiG-17 though!

There is even a famous incident:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_F-84_Thunderstreak_incident

F-84 Thunderstreak incident

A F-84 Thunderstreak of the German Air Force(Luftwaffe)

Date: 14 September 1961

Result: West German fighters landed safely

Belligerents:  West Germany, Soviet Union

Commanders and leaders: Siegfried Barth, Ivan Konev

Units involved: JaBoG 32, Western Group of Forces

The 1961 F-84 Thunderstreak incident, occurring on 14 September 1961, was an incident during the Cold War, in which two Republic F-84F Thunderstreak fighter-bombers of JaBoG 32 of the German Air Force(Luftwaffe) crossed into East German airspace because of a navigational error, before landing at Berlin Tegel Airport. The two planes successfully evaded a large number of Soviet fighter planes by finding cover in a heavy layer of clouds,[1] but also by the actions of an airman at the United States Air Force air route traffic control center at Berlin Tempelhof Airport who ordered the planes on to Berlin rather than forcing them to turn around and face the pursuing fighter planes.[2] The event came at a historically difficult time in relations between the two Germanies. Only a month before, the Berlin Wall had been built, which completely cut off West Berlin from surrounding East Germany and from East Berlin. It also came three days before the West German federal election, held on 17 September 1961.[1]

Aftermath

Upon arrival at Tegel, the two planes were immediately hidden in hangars and journalists were prohibited from taking pictures of them.[2] For years after, it was believed that the two planes had been repainted as aircraft of the United States Air Force and returned to West Germany by USAF pilots, or that they had been disassembled and transported back to the West in pieces.[4] The arrival of two massive Douglas C-124 at Tegel from Frankfurt am Main also fuelled speculations that the two F-84s would be transported back in these aircraft.[2] Another theory (which turned out to be true) held that the two aircraft were hidden by the French authorities at Tegel and, later, buried at the airfield, where they were accidentally rediscovered in the 1970s.[7]

In an exhibition at the Luftwaffenmuseum Berlin-Gatow in 2006, pictures of the two buried and then rediscovered Thunderstreaks at Tegel were shown, finally clearing up the question of what became of the two planes.[2]

The pilots of the two Thunderstreaks, Pfefferkorn and Eberl, were banned from flying and transferred to the ground crew at Lechfeld.[3] The F-84F Thunderstreak, in service with the Jagdbombergeschwader 32 since inception of the unit on 22 July 1958, was phased out of service on 13 July 1966, the Geschwader having accumulated over 80,000 flight hours with the planes.[8]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sniperUK said:

Sadly they don't, the Lynx and Merlin kits were a major failure, much as I would like Whirlwind, Puma, Scout and Wasp it is. Just not going to happen with Airfix, I can even get them Puma and Scout to scan.

Im wondering if this applies to 1/72nd as well? 

I have the Merlin in the stash and see why it would not be as popular as hoped, but i also have several Lynx and would have thought similar sized helicopters would be ideal to be considered in 1/48th.

Arabest,

Geoff.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 8:10 AM, Grey Beema said:

1/48 Seafire III would be nice as a development of their new tool Spitfire I.

1/48 Martlet IV would also be good, surely just an upscale of the 1/72 version and whilst they are at it if they want to hit their Phantom with the same upscale ray I wouldn't complain.

Upscale Ray,.....haha,....love it!!! I totally agree with you, Seafire III would be very nice.

12 hours ago, Robert said:

Robert

Been saying this for ages - a 1/48 Anson would fill a hole in the market, in much the same way their Walrus did.

If I were to put together a realistic wish list, I'd have

New Tools

1/72 Mosquito

1/72 B-24 Liberator

1/48 Avro Anson

1/48 Blenheim Mk.IV

New version (current tooling/minor options)

1/72 Mig-17 Middle East versions

1/72 Wellington GR.Mk.XIV 

1/72 P-51 Mustang "Foreign Air Forces"

1/72 B-25 "Foreign Air Forces" (RAAF, Dutch East Indies, USSR)

1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIV - SEAC / Belgium

On 1/8/2019 at 7:53 AM, jenko said:

Ok. I started the 2019 thread, so to keep with tradition lets start the 2020 thread.

1/48 Gannet 

and for Trevor a Balliol 

Dick

Is this likely to happen? I hope so I'd love to do an Indonesian Navy one

Well the MiG-17 and Bucc are coming out in 1/72, so my wish list has been adjusted to:

1/72 Vulcan

1/72 Sea Vixen

1/72 Mig-19

1/72 Javelin

1/72 SA Pioneer

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Great news on the Bucc, so now...

1/72 Meteor family

1/72 Hunter family

1/72 Lightning F1/F3

Thats all!

SD

You forgot 1/72 Canberra B.2/6!

• Like 4

My wish list, dominated by Bristol types.

1/72 - 1/48 Beaufort

1/72 Bristol Freighter (Aerospace Bristol have one in big bits!)

1/72 - 1/48 Beaufighter MkII

1/72 - 1/48 Hampden

1/72 Boston

1/72 Oxford

Matt

My list one for Mr. Airfix...

1/72

Vulcan (NEW TOOL) with options for variants

Sea Vixen FAW.2

Javelin series

Sea Venom series

Hornet/Sea Hornet series

Gannet series

Wyvern
Defender AL.2

Trilander

Hunter series

Wasp series

MiG-19 series

HH-43 this has been needed for WWWAAAYYY to long!!!

HH-3 series -  a real Jolly Green not the older (but still serviceable Aurora/Revell kits)

HH-52 (as long as we're dreaming)

B-47E/RB-47H options

1/48

Reissue the Javelin

Hunter two seater
Wasp series

Wyvern

Whirlwind series

HH-3 series (I know I'm dreaming but it would be nice)

Any of the above would be really nice.

Edited by Grayhawk
  • Like 1

This is more like Airfix up to 2025!

A few points:

- Helicopters don't sell

- There has to be a extant example or designer's fabrication drawings so no Sea Hornet

- They have yet to scale anything down (' All that lovely detail would be lost' I was told at Telford) so no Javelin, Sea Vixen or 1/72 Hunters etc.

- Any choice has to be either capable of reissue in different variants (so no Wyvern, B-47) or for users of different nationalities such as Sea Fury and perhaps MiG 17

- That a subject has 'needs retooling' or has been 'long awaited by modellers' is irrelevant.  I suspect a fair proportion of sales are to non-modellers.

Dream on.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

I would love a new 1:48 early Skyhawk family.

I believe Hasegawa is set to re-release their 1/48 A-4C quite soon. It will be interesting to see how they price it! 

Cheers. Dave 

2 minutes ago, Denford said:

I suspect a fair proportion of sales are to non-modellers.

What exactly is a ‘non modeller’? Why go through al the trouble of investing in Lidar and spend all that time in researching ‘said’ subject if the majority of sales are not targeted towards modellers like us? I find it hard to believe that your typical Auntie Maud would choose to buy the 1/48 Walrus for her young nephew Johnny!! If that was the case they just need to tool three to four subjects that are everyday household names, and I dare say that the Walrus is probably not one of those. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Denford said:

- They have yet to scale anything down (' All that lovely detail would be lost' I was told at Telford) so no Javelin, Sea Vixen or 1/72 Hunters etc.

Begs the question why Tamiya did 'scale down' quite some 1/48 kits, the 1/72nd version even now still being considered the trade standard (P-51D, P-47, ... ) 🤔