Airfix 2020

jenko

7 minutes ago, jenko said:

For the record the 1/24 Vulcan is in next years Ikea catalogue together with 6 chairs, and comes in a variety of finishes.

Will there be a table to go with the chairs?  That way we could reproduce in diorama form when a table and chairs were allegedly found in the tanks of a Vulcan during major servicing.

Could it be a pattern or just wishful thinking?? 

2015 - Whitley V

2016 - Whitley in Coastal Command

2017 - Blenheim IV bomber variant 

2018 - Wellington IC

2019 - Wellington in Coastal Command

2020/2021 - Hampden???? 

• Like 3

1/350th  HMS Queen Elizabeth (aircraft carrier)

1/96th  Mary Rose

1/35th Churchill AVRE with SBG Bridge

1/35th Queen Mary RAF recovery tractor and trailer

1/35th Bedford RL 3 tonner

1/35th Bedford MK 3 tonner

1/72nd Highball Mosquito

1/72nd Lincoln

1:1 Enigma Machine (mixed media)

1/10th scale 3-rotor Bombe  and Colossus Mark II

On 1/7/2019 at 3:09 PM, trickydicky210 said:

I guessed the Tiger Moth, so thats my luck gone so wont suggest anything here, other than some more 1/35 vehicles/tanks that got missed with today's announcement.

Yes, Airfix forgot the early mid-production Tiger I, the late mid-production Tiger I, the late early-production Tiger I, the early early-production Tiger I, the early late-production Tiger I, the mid late-production Tiger I and the late late-production Tiger I. Other than that, I think they don't have any gaps in their Tiger I coverage.....

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Plasto said:

Hi,

What you come to realise is that this annual thread typically runs to about 40 pages before it gets locked. So in some ways the sooner we get there the better.

Along the way it’ll be populated with guesses, insights from folk who have some connection with some museum or other where Airfix have scanned this or that. More guesses. The odd whinge and whine about prices. Assertions that Airfix absolutely must do this or that. 

This is or that is in the wrong scale.

It’ll drift off topic a bit then there will be more guesses. When the show season arrives someone will pin a poor unfortunate Airfix employee in a corner of a display tent and report back that.

’When I said 1/24 Vulcan He went slightly pale’

This will then be discussed as proof that a 1/24 Vulcan is on the way..

Ultimately the thread is bourne out of the hope that someone at Airfix is reading it and collates the wishes / guesses into must do tooling list. I think we all know this probably doesn’t happen as the Model kit industry runs on a different product selection methodology. 

But the ‘fun’ is guessing. Somewhat like an Adult Santa’s wish list...

Ultimately it harmless but shows the affection the BM membership has for Airfix.  That’s it’s true value..

Take it easy

Plasto

Well I know they scanned a Vulcan

13 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Well I know they scanned a Vulcan

Yes - but we might end up with a 1/12 Spock figure instead of the 'obvious' Vulcan!

Cheers.. (a pointy eared) Dave

Why break tradition? I'll play along again😛

Since it seems Airfix are abandoning WW2 topics in 1/72 I suspect 2020 will be another lean year for the one true scale for those of us who do admire WW2 a/c. But here's my guesses in 1/72 anyway:

Ju88a to fill the gap in their BoB line up. 

B24 consolidated liberator to finish off the allied 4 engined heavies. 

HP Hampden, to close the 2 engined gap. 

And maybe, just maybe a Lysander, seeing the nicely restored one now at Duxford, although I suspect if recent form is anything to go by Airfix will opt for 1/48😣

And here's what I'd also like to see in 1/72 from Airfix:

The magnificent 1/48 scale walrus down scaled to 1/72!

Hawker Tempest, mk II and V

New tooled Spitfire MkI-yep, why not

And while we're at it, did I mention the walrus? 😁

Edited by RussellE
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RussellE said:

Why break tradition? I'll play along again😛

Since it seems Airfix are abandoning WW2 topics in 1/72 I suspect 2020 will be another lean year for the one true scale for those of us who do admire WW2 a/c. But here's my guesses in 1/72 anyway:

Ju88a to fill the gap in their BoB line up. 

B24 consolidated liberator to finish off the allied 4 engined heavies. 

HP Hampden, to close the 2 engined gap. 

And maybe, just maybe a Lysander, seeing the nicely restored one now at Duxford, although I suspect if recent form is anything to go by Airfix will opt for 1/48😣

And here's what I'd also like to see in 1/72 from Airfix:

The magnificent 1/48 scale walrus down scaled to 1/72!

Hawker Tempest, mk II and V

New tooled Spitfire MkI-yep, why not

And while we're at it, did I mention the walrus? 😁

Why the spit mki? There are no major issues with the current kit as far as I'm aware...

Surely a bf109g retooling would be better as their 1/72 one is more like a toy than a scale model

All in 1/72 unless otherwise noted

Cold War resupply set with tanker, ammo and fire truck as well as RAF regiment armoured car and troops manning a Rapier battery to protect a forward based Harrier   

Desert Storm resupply set with ground crews in MOPP suits loading up a Buccaneer with LGBs and Wimik LandRovers surrounding the area.

C-130J including stretched version

T-6 Texan / Harvard, later to be done in 1/48 as well

Junkers Ju 88A - both the 1:1 ones in Norway are getting close to finished and ready to be LIDARed

F-35A/B - if accessible 

P-8A Poseidon - just have to wait until the RAF get them delivered 

Junkers Ju 52/3m - we have an original one they can measure up in Norway.

Heinkel He 115 - we have one they can measure up in Norway.

Short Sunderland - rebox of Special Hobby whenever they have it ready

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I metal wing - rebox of Arma

AW101 - rescue and assault versions

Sikorsky S-92 HM Coast Guard SAR helicopter

AW 139 HM Coast Guard SAR helicopter

Dogfight doubles:

Harrier vs Argentina Skyhawk

MiG-17 vs USN Skyhawk

Buccaneer vs Torrey Canyon

Fairmile D vs E-boat

Fairmile D MTB followed by MGB

Other scales:

Reboxings of some of Zvezdas 1/144 airliners in BA and other British markings

QE & PoW carriers in 1/350

Edited by LN-KEH
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Why the spit mki? There are no major issues with the current kit as far as I'm aware...

Surely a bf109g retooling would be better as their 1/72 one is more like a toy than a scale model

Well, while they're at it, why not retool the 109 as well? Would make sense to have new tools of each at around the same time 😀

Panel lines on the spit are huge BTW 😎

The problem with trying to create a list like this is separating out what I think Airfix will do from what I want them to do. Nevertheless, I will try:

New Tool

1/72 HP Hampden

1/72 Grumman TBF-1c Avenger

1/72 DeHavilland Mosquito FB.VI

1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109F-2

1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc

1/48 Westland Lysander

1/48 HS Harrier GR.I

New Variant

1/48 Hunter FGA.9

1/72 Buccaneer S.2B/S.50

1/72 Wellington Mk.II

1/72 Wellington Mk.III 

1/72 PBJ-1D Mitchell

1/48 Blenheim Mk.I Bomber

Here's what I'd like from Airfix:

1/72 Avro Vulcan

1/72 Avro Anson

1/72 Bristol Beaufort

1/72 DH Comet 4C

1/72 Douglas A-20 Havoc/Boston

1/72 Douglas SBD-3/4/5 Dauntless

1/48 Lockheed Hudson

1/48 DH Vampire series

1/48 DH Venom series

1/48 Avro Lancaster

1/48 HP Halifax series

1/48 Short Stirling

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

Given Airfix interest in WWII subjects in service both in the UK and the US Avenger, Mosquito, Corsair and Thunderbolt in 1/72 I think are safe bets. Not mandatory in 2020 but should be on the cards sooner or later.

Lancaster-Whitley-Blenheim-Shackleton-Wellington series should be continued with Halifax for sure. Not so sure about Hampden or Stirling though. 

Series of US bombers seem can be logically continued with Liberator, Boston and maybe Catalina. Again all in service in both US and UK.

I think all the above is a good plan for next 5-7 years. What goes ahead difficult to say. Given fewer new tools for WWII period in 2019 I would expect couple in 2020 - maybe a fighter and a medium bomber - Mosquito and Thunderbolt?

Airfix has some omissions in the German WWII range too Ju-88 being the most noticeable one so should be coming shortly as well. 

Edited by Dennis_C

No Stirling as there's no reliable data - this old chestnut keeps cropping up along with others such as Do 217, He 177.

Thunderbolt and Corsair: Tamiya have near-definitive kits which Airfix  (or anyone else for that matter) would have to surpass in Quality and/or Price.

Luftwaffe: I'm not sure how well Hasegawa covered the Ju-88 range.  Again would have to surpass in Quality: no trouble on Price!  To me a surprising omission is the Me410 of which there is no quality kit available, yet a very 'accessible' example at Cosford.

3 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Lancaster-Whitley-Blenheim-Shakleton-Wellington series should be continued with Halifax for sure. Not so sure about Hampden or Stirling though. 

Fairey Battle is missing there. Apart from the potential of a new tool Hampden, the Battle is missing from the early WW2 Bomber Command lineup. 

• Like 1

One thing I'd like to see from Airfix in 2020 are instrument panels with proper instrument detals moulded in place for their 1/72 kits !

It's the kind of detail that I can accept from cheap kits (up to a point...) but not in something like a 6 series kit with a £25 price tag.

If they feel that decals are better for beginners fair enough, add both a flat and a detailed panel like other companies do. If Zvezda can do it on their snap-fit kits, why can't Airfix ?

Oh, and I'd also like to see the Javelin and Sea Vixen scaled down to 1/72... ok, I know this isn't going to happen. Let's then say that I'd be happy to see something similar to thuis year's choices in 1/72: a British cold war type seriously needing a modern kit and something a bit less usual for us but very important nonetheless.

The former could be anything, I'm not fussy: a Scimitar, a Jaguar (Ok, there are decent kits of this around), the aforementioned Javelin and Sea Vixen, a Venom land or sea based... any of these would be fine for me.

The latter can be either some equivalent of this year MiG-17, an aircraft widely used around the world. A Mirage III ? SH is doing one, so maybe something different would be better for me. Another MiG ? Or why not an F-84F ?

Or maybe if we look at the MiG-17 as an adversary for some other type in their catalogue, what about an accurate MC.202, since none exists ?  Or maybe they could replace their ancient G.50 with a new one, I'd buy it for sure.

What will they actually issue ? I have no idea ! New variants of a couple of recent kits would sound logical, like a 1/48 Hunter FGA.9 or an RAF 1/72 Buccaneer. No idea about the rest though, I have my own ideas of what I'd probably do in their place but it's their company, not mine... 😁

(and before anyone asks, don't be too excited, if I had to choose subjects I'd stick mostly with classics.. but I like the Me.410 idea ! )

• Like 3

Oh, and I'd also like to see the Javelin and Sea Vixen scaled down to 1/72... ok, I know this isn't going to happen. Let's then say that I'd be happy to see something similar to thuis year's choices in 1/72: a British cold war type seriously needing a modern kit and something a bit less usual for us but very important nonetheless.

The former could be anything, I'm not fussy: a Scimitar, a Jaguar (Ok, there are decent kits of this around), the aforementioned Javelin and Sea Vixen, a Venom land or sea based... any of these would be fine for me.

Airfix is gradually issuing cold war era British subjects but in 1/72 seem to be sticking to more popular subjects including V-bombers + trainer aircraft.  

That gives hope for Hunter and Meteor downscaling, Jaguar, Vulcan, maybe Venom or Sea Venom. Sea Hawk? On trainers side - can we wait for Scottish Aviation Bulldog? I think that is the only massively used type not yet covered by Airfix. 

Harrier GR1/3 in 1/48th

Jet Provost in 1/48th

Hunter T7/8/12 in 1/48th

Swift in 1/48th

Vampire single seater, (Sea) Venom,Scimitar, Attacker and Sea Hawk in 1/72 or 1/48th

Re-issue Banshee, Skyray, KGV, and Stingray.

Thunderbird 1/2/3/4/5 please? Gerry Anderson's son is now i/c licencing and I'm sure he would be up for it.

Edited by Plastic Bonsai
Forgot the V's

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Fairey Battle is missing there. Apart from the potential of a new tool Hampden, the Battle is missing from the early WW2 Bomber Command lineup. 

Airfix don't issue subjects merely to 'complete a line up'.  It has to sell, and sell well to enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike.

To most the Battle is known for the horrendous losses and the bravery of the crews.   Excluding conversions to trainers, target tugs or engine test beds, there were essentially no variants.   Though seeing limited use by others (eg Belgium, Greece), there's little in the way in variety of markings apart from Squadron Codes and letters.  Any tooling would perforce have to be a one-off without follow on different users/variants.  Not the way Airfix operate.

4 minutes ago, Denford said:

Airfix don't issue subjects merely to 'complete a line up'.  It has to sell, and sell well to enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike.

That’s understood. It’s a shame, though, as the old tool is a bit of a dog's breakfast.

I suppose I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for a Special Hobby Battle. :waiting: