Airfix for 2019

Julien

58 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Which scale would that be then?

He can't name it, that would be like transgressing the unwritten rule!

• Like 1

I’m not sure why any 1/72 scale modeller would feel hard done by looking at Airfix’s releases of recent years... Wellington, B-17, Mitchell, Phantom, Me262, Whitley, Sea King, Gladiator, Fokker E.11, Be2c, He 111, Beaufighter, Kate, Swordfish, Victor, Valiant, Shackleton...

You try being a 1/24 car modeller and liking Airfix...

best,

M.

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:57 PM, Jazzie said:

Denford,

Despite wanting to agree with you, i think the P-61 is up there with the Sea Vixen and Javelin as being one of those aircraft that are a bit left field, but would sell, especially if the Hellcat makes enough of a financial return in the US to invest in kits like the P-61. Depending on what the production run is, if they sell all of the Classic P-61s, would that not be encouragement to produce a new state of the art one at some point in the next 5-10 years.

Sort of agree with you too.  Hannants list it at £15.29 vs £22.99 from ? Hobby Boss ? - should have checked before typing this!

If it sells well would it show there was a demand for a quality kit, because it is cheaper, or for more US types ?  Make a theoretical comparison with the Hudson.  Again an old tool, which could justifiably be replaced,  yet might also reappear.  However, unlike the P-61, there are a wide variety of Users, Paint Schemes and Insignia.  Would it not be a more 'worthy' choice than the P-61?

I don't think Airfix tools kits merely to satisfy a particular region, in this case US.  Others have said, with what justification I know not, that the bulk of their sales are in the UK.  And if the Hellcat sold in US beyond projections, would that show a demand there for US types or because it was beautifully detailed and/or 1/24?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Probably more related to the Airfix 2018 thread than 2019, however has anyone seen the box artwork for the RAF Mitchell kit number A06018? Looks like it’s available direct via Hornby, however have not seen any evidence of this on the Airfix website, workbench forum or online sales. If anyone has one, a quick photo would be nice. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

49286305_2246912315328247_11963569168931

Via Mark's Models FB page

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has been a great thread (so far) for this vintage modeller. I enjoy a good rant. Thanks to all the contributors.

I'm as delighted with the projected prices of the 'Classics' as I am with the re-visited subjects, because at those prices I'll be buying multiples of each - Jetstream, Dominie. Heron, Demon, Bulldog plus, plus - so ensuring success for the range, then next year we'll maybe see the return of Islander, Skyvan, SAL Bulldog and others. It wont be long till the likes of two-six decals give us alternative schemes (hint - they already do!).

On the nostalgia-deniers who think young 'uns will only buy 'moderns', my first kit was a Sopwith Camel in 1958. I was six years old. The full-size Camel was 40 years old.  Nostalgia? I'd reckon, today's young 'uns first up-close-and-personal experience with aeroplanes will be in a museum. Airfix's Classic range will be in every air museum in the UK - for kids and dads - at pocket money prices.

Airfix have just cleverly sown up both ends of the model market!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Denford said:

Sort of agree with you too.  Hannants list it at £15.29 vs £22.99 from ? Hobby Boss ? - should have checked before typing this!

If it sells well would it show there was a demand for a quality kit, because it is cheaper, or for more US types ?  Make a theoretical comparison with the Hudson.  Again an old tool, which could justifiably be replaced,  yet might also reappear.  However, unlike the P-61, there are a wide variety of Users, Paint Schemes and Insignia.  Would it not be a more 'worthy' choice than the P-61?

I don't think Airfix tools kits merely to satisfy a particular region, in this case US.  Others have said, with what justification I know not, that the bulk of their sales are in the UK.  And if the Hellcat sold in US beyond projections, would that show a demand there for US types or because it was beautifully detailed and/or 1/24?

Sorry bud, when i tried to imagine the box artwork, i think the Hudson circling over its U-boat prey is defeated by an 8 guns blazing P-61 Black Widow ripping some bombers a new one!

On the Hellcat, i think its an assault on the US market to maximize the return on development and tooling with the UK sales being the cream for the profits. I do wonder if US sales of the 48th P-51D had any bearing on the Hellcat getting its place in the catalogue?

Arabest,

Geoff.

Just been looking through the SAM edition featuring the Dominie/HS125 from waay way back, there's a lot of interesting schemes in there so I was just wondering if anybody has plans to release any decals, brass or resin bits in the near future?

Same goes for the Jetstream, Heron, Bulldog & Demon.

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 2

Yeah, I was almost thinking the same. Modeldecal sheet 108 has some very nice Hart family decals including a few Demons.  Xtradecals may re-release this. Would be nice to see some AM parts to convert the Demon back to a Hart / Hind and hopefully it will sell well enough so that a new tool kit may be considered. Perhaps Airfix are testing the waters with this release. 

If I’m right,  I believe Model Allliance had a HS Dominie AM decal sheet and t’wod be great to see some new engines to go with the Jetstream. I’ve got the Dominie in the stash however have never laid eyes on the Heron or Jetstream, so I might add those too. Sure they are not state of the art kits, however are different and can be quite fun if you don’t stick to close to accuracy. 

Cheers.. Dave

2 hours ago, Julien said:

Can we pls keep this to Airfix, not what other aftermarket compainies are doing, will do etc.

Yup.... sorry, i kind of started that. Which was a a bit disingenuous since I rarerly buy aftermarket decals or resin detail, and have never bought thoe brass etched thingies! My 'original' modelling career 50 years ago was devoid of any of that stuff - a sheet of generic roundels and the occassional vacform conversion kit were welcome innovation, so I'm usually happier whittling bits of sprue or spares to add detail. But then, I'm easily pleased. Each to his own.

• Like 1

The Jetstream is  ideal for Sci-Fi modellers ,as the Garrett engine prototype in US markings featured in the opening scenes of the initial episode of Gerry Andersons UFO "Identified" just add a Rolls Royce and a couple of police motorcycles ;)

On 1/11/2019 at 2:12 PM, tempestfan said:

You will most likely be right, the boxes will State „Made in Korea“ like on the B-17 from the same source. Interestingly, the workbench doesn’t name Academy but refers to them as „one of our modelling associates“. A hint to an intensified cooperation? A two-way deal may well make sense.

This has already happened, Academy market the Airfix 1/48 Naval Lynx kit with S Korean markings

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12289-rok-navy-super-lynx--208725

I find some of the comments about the old airfix kits quite amusing. I grew up in the 1970's and built loads of Airfix and Matchbox kits without any real problems. Filler wasn't a big concern ( at least in the early days ), neither was cockpit detail, or dockyard rivets or raised panel lines, or to start with, painting canopy frames, or even the exact correct shades of paint if my pocket money wouldn't stretch to another 40p or what ever it was for a tinlet!

Even back then there was flash on the models to be trimmed, sanding to get bits to fit etc., but I still enjoyed making and painting them. I've built old kits since and yes, they need a bit of effort but still turn out a nice model in the end. It seems that far too many "modellers" these days are actually jigsaw assemblers, and less so being modellers!!

When you're 10 and buying a kit, you don't care if the outline is slightly off, or the trailing edges are too thick or the panel lines are raised, you just wanted exciting subjects that you saw in your Commando comics, and bring them to life with a few fingerprints, paint runs and imagination.

The Airfix dH88 Comet is somewhat old and ill-fitting, and yet with just a little effort, builds into a very nice model. Roll on more Vintage Airfix releases, and I hope they sell really well for them!!

dh88_2017_001.jpg

dh88_2017_002.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 13

54 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

The Jetstream is  ideal for Sci-Fi modellers ,as the Garrett engine prototype in US markings featured in the opening scenes of the initial episode of Gerry Andersons UFO "Identified" just add a Rolls Royce and a couple of police motorcycles ;)

Oh wow! I didn't remember that - great subject for the Group Build on 'screen' subjects. Must look on utube for that - it was probably the British-registered (instead of US serial) prototype. I built that subject when the kit was new - i might even still have it!

G-AWBR !

Edited by alancmlaird

8 hours ago, spaddad said:

Just been looking through the SAM edition featuring the Dominie/HS125 from waay way back, there's a lot of interesting schemes in there so I was just wondering if anybody has plans to release any decals, brass or resin bits in the near future?

Problem with the Dominie is that it's a very specific version, there is a bit of conversion work to turn it into any other early 125 (Mainly removing the bulge under the forward fuselage) or later versions (Rear fuse changes). Now if Revell would re-release the MB one, there are some cross kitting possibilities! And yes, it's a minor obsession!

In terms of colour schemes for the Dominie, you are looking at silver/dayglo or Red/White/Grey (with add on bands for Cranwell aircraft)

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

. Roll on more Vintage Airfix releases, and I hope they sell really well for them!!

Couldn't agree more. I'm getting a little bored with all the negativity regarding these kits. We all know they aren't state of the art but, that is scarcely the point. In any case, those that turn their noses up at them are under no compulsion to buy. I question some of the releases - the SM 79 kit for example  is pretty poor and I certainly wouldn't buy it when the greatly superior Italeri kit is available. However, aside from that and the P-61 I have pre ordered all of the Vintage Classic aircraft. I am especially delighted with the 1966 Concorde.

I think Airfix has been quite canny this year. They have recognised a market and tapped into. Those whining about releasing "crappy old/ancient kits" instead of "new tools" might like to consider that shiny new tools need shiny new money. Something that is in short supply right now at Hornby Hobbies. Both these and, the reissues of more recent kits more than compensated (for me anyway) the paucity of new items. I am more than happy to put a bit of effort into these old kits. I find them more enjoyable than many current shake'n'bake kits. However, that's just me

The collaboration with Academy is a welcome surprise! One hopes that some of their aircraft kits might find themselves in shiny new red boxes! Another bonus of course is that these kits will put paid to the silly prices currently being demanded for these second hand.I expect to see more than a few appear on sale at somewhat reduced prices . Certainly looking forward to the next batch of Vintage Classics. Beagle Basset, D H C Beaver, B N Islander, F-80C Shooting Star, F-2H Banshee, F-86D Sabre anyone?

Allan

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Albeback52 said:

The collaboration with Academy is a welcome surprise! One hopes that some of their aircraft kits might find themselves in shiny new red boxes! Another bonus of course is that these kits will put paid to the silly prices currently being demanded for these second hand.I expect to see more than a few appear on sale at somewhat reduced prices . Certainly looking forward to the next batch of Vintage Classics. Beagle Basset, D H C Beaver, B N Islander, F-80C Shooting Star, F-2H Banshee, F-86D Sabre anyone?

Allan

I'd certainly take the second and third ones! The Bassett, not so sure as they did say it wasn't being done again when they did Kitstarter (and I bought 4! :-)) but if it led to some alternative decals....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alancmlaird said:

Oh wow! I didn't remember that - great subject for the Group Build on 'screen' subjects. Must look on utube for that - it was probably the British-registered (instead of US serial) prototype. I built that subject when the kit was new - i might even still have it!

G-AWBR !

You'd also need a USAF officer figure with VERY blond hair.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Army_Air_Force said:

I find some of the comments about the old airfix kits quite amusing. I grew up in the 1970's and built loads of Airfix and Matchbox kits without any real problems. Filler wasn't a big concern ( at least in the early days ), neither was cockpit detail, or dockyard rivets or raised panel lines, or to start with, painting canopy frames, or even the exact correct shades of paint if my pocket money wouldn't stretch to another 40p or what ever it was for a tinlet!

Even back then there was flash on the models to be trimmed, sanding to get bits to fit etc., but I still enjoyed making and painting them. I've built old kits since and yes, they need a bit of effort but still turn out a nice model in the end. It seems that far too many "modellers" these days are actually jigsaw assemblers, and less so being modellers!!

When you're 10 and buying a kit, you don't care if the outline is slightly off, or the trailing edges are too thick or the panel lines are raised, you just wanted exciting subjects that you saw in your Commando comics, and bring them to life with a few fingerprints, paint runs and imagination.

The Airfix dH88 Comet is somewhat old and ill-fitting, and yet with just a little effort, builds into a very nice model. Roll on more Vintage Airfix releases, and I hope they sell really well for them!!

I remember buying Airfix kits (the old bag and header kits) purely on the basis of the 'stickers' which were included.  I distinctly remember being in a real quandary over which markings to apply to the Airacobra.  Russian red stars or US white.  I don't think the fit of the kit ever really bothered me in those days (or paint for that matter).  Just so long as I could get it dogfighting as soon as possible. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Couldn't agree more. I'm getting a little bored with all the negativity regarding these kits. We all know they aren't state of the art but, that is scarcely the point. In any case, those that turn their noses up at them are under no compulsion to buy. I question some of the releases - the SM 79 kit for example  is pretty poor and I certainly wouldn't buy it when the greatly superior Italeri kit is available. However, aside from that and the P-61 I have pre ordered all of the Vintage Classic aircraft. I am especially delighted with the 1966 Concorde.

I think Airfix has been quite canny this year. They have recognised a market and tapped into. Those whining about releasing "crappy old/ancient kits" instead of "new tools" might like to consider that shiny new tools need shiny new money. Something that is in short supply right now at Hornby Hobbies. Both these and, the reissues of more recent kits more than compensated (for me anyway) the paucity of new items. I am more than happy to put a bit of effort into these old kits. I find them more enjoyable than many current shake'n'bake kits. However, that's just me

Allan

I quite agree.  Some of those rarer kits like the Jetstream and Heron can make go for silly money on auction sites. I recently built the Dominie without any major issues, even with my rather poor skill levels and patience. 

I wonder what Academy's P-51B/C is like.  That and their Tempest would fit Airfix's profile pretty well, I would have thought.  Having said that I'd prefer a new tool Tempest.   

Anyway, I'm made up about the Buccaneer so Airfix can do no wrong at the moment, in my book.  The Kipper Fleet Wimpy is very welcome as well.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:09 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Probably more related to the Airfix 2018 thread than 2019, however has anyone seen the box artwork for the RAF Mitchell kit number A06018? Looks like it’s available direct via Hornby, however have not seen any evidence of this on the Airfix website, workbench forum or online sales. If anyone has one, a quick photo would be nice. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/north-american-mitchell-ii-1-72.html

• Thanks 1