Airfix for 2019

Julien

21 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Outstanding news on the Buccaneer, and a Wellington is always welcome.  Shame there's no new tool Hampden in any scale, and, personally, I would have preferred a Hart to a Tiger Moth, but that's just me.

What did surprise me, rather, was the announcement of a 1/72 Willys Jeep Starter Set, for pre-order.  Isn't this the kit we've all been buying cheap from Aldi?

Yep sure is and if you wait until next December you will probably be able to pick it up cheap from Aldi again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't think that this has been raised and apologies if I have missed it but when did the free shipping threshold for UK orders rise from thirty pounds to fifty , hardly likely to encourage customer loyalty ?

16 hours ago, Col. said:

There seems to be a current fashion to decry any new release as boring or a missed opportunity or the wrong scale or whatever else anyone can possibly find to moan about but I can honestly say I'm delighted by this.

Ok, that's one person that's happy.  Any advance on one? :)

There's not much point in the  "I don't like/they should have done/it's a wasted opportunity" comments when it's a done deal.  I'd make your feelings known in a nice, polite manner to Airfix, and if enough people want XXXX or YYYY, they might schedule one.  I'm only really interested in their 1:48 kits, so it's a couple of kits this year for me, but I'm not dissatisfied.  I'd rather make the most of what's coming, rather than lament what isn't. ^_^ We're back to the old "glass half full/half empty" outlook though.  For my 1:24 Milk bottles of the world collection however, it's a 1:24 empty glass and someone's spat in it :crying:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

There's not much point in the  "I don't like/they should have done/it's a wasted opportunity" comments when it's a done deal.  I'd make your feelings known in a nice, polite manner to Airfix, and if enough people want XXXX or YYYY, they might schedule one.  I'm only really interested in their 1:48 kits, so it's a couple of kits this year for me, but I'm not dissatisfied.  I'd rather make the most of what's coming, rather than lament what isn't. ^_^ We're back to the old "glass half full/half empty" outlook though.  For my 1:24 Milk bottles of the world collection however, it's a 1:24 empty glass and someone's spat in it :crying:

Generally quite happy with the schedule, Bulldog is a great kit (need one or two) , Buccaneer means I can stop rescribing my current (now stalled) project.

the Demon is a nice to have as I can now build one again (nostalgic reasons) and would not mind  a re-release of the original Hurricane mkIV (this is the first kit I ever built way back when) and P40E (this was the first kit I ever saw way back when) (this getting old thing and nostalgia is a bitch).

Would love it if Airfix would re-release some of their other classics, I need a Cessna O2, their Avro 504 (need a couple) Dh-4 (retool to DH-9 would go down well) and Sopwith Pup are rather good.

Yes like others there is a long list of new tool kits I would also like to see but other manufacturers are keeping that side supplied (have to keep H and Royal mail fed) but there is a limit as to how many (0) I can build in a year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mahavelona said:

Personally I would love to see a new tool 1/72 Westland Wapiti, Wyvern, Lysander or other obscurities, but how many would that please?

The Trumpeter/Monochrome 1/72 Wyvern is a really excellent kit and not that expensive. It really would be a waste of resources for Airfix to do one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Des said:

Don't think that this has been raised and apologies if I have missed it but when did the free shipping threshold for UK orders rise from thirty pounds to fifty , hardly likely to encourage customer loyalty ?

Late last year! The threshold for free shipping to the US went from £100 to £200. It just means bigger orders less frequently for me.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Not sure about the SM.79... it's an ancient kit, seriously inaccurate and with very little detail. Also features a number of very odd solutions, like heavy riveting on wooden covered wings...

The Italeri kit is not currently in their catalogue but is not that hard to find, at least in continental Europe. Price for the Italeri kit varies from €15 to €18, Airfx have set the price of their rebox at £ 16.99, not bad a price in general for a bomber of that size but IMHO not competitive for the quality offered.

Of course many will not notice the inaccuracies, and I've seen very nice models made from this kit, check for example what Martian Hale is currently doing in the WIP section with this one. Still, I feel that investing some time in chasing the Italeri kit is a better option for anyone seriously interested in this subject

The Italeri kit, to my knowledge, is rarely available for less than £25-30 in the UK. I've not seen one in a model shop for some time. A lot of the eBay listings for it are coming from the continent and have about £15 postage on top of the price. 

Certainly the Italeri kit is far, far superior to the Airfix offering, which requires a lot of work. But in the UK at least, the new Airfix offering is likely to be available for around half the price that a British modeller might find the Italeri SM.79 where it is available. Personally I think £17 is a little steep to pay for the Airfix offering due to its lacklustre quality but I'm sure it will be available for a few pounds less very soon after release; that seems to be the pattern. 

Of course, I am the modeller who opted to spend £10 on the Airfix Catalina and wrestle with it all summer rather than plump for the more expensive Academy or Revell offering - whilst I know many other modellers would rather purchase the more expensive and vastly superior kit.

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Trumpeter/Monochrome 1/72 Wyvern is a really excellent kit and not that expensive. It really would be a waste of resources for Airfix to do one.

They seem to go for £23 cheapest on eBay. Do you view that as cheap or expensive? For me, that is fairly expensive for a single engine 1/72 plane although I know others may disagree and that the price of kits has been rising. I'll grant you that I would not expect an Airfix offering of the same plane might end up costing about the same though!

I think in part the releases show that Airfix are learning from the Revell way of doing things - ie bang something in the catalogue for a year then retire it then wait for demand to build up again (hopefully having recouped the expensive tooling costs from the first 'pressing') with new decals etc. Drawing on the classic tool bank for stuff going for bonkers money on ebay - release them at a sensible price (no tooling cost?) with new decals... bosh. You watch all the Jetstreams and Dominie appear on Ebay now!

Also using other manufacturers tools isnt 'wrong'  - they did it years ago with mixed results but presumably outlay isnt too huge. Revell do it regularly - I am surprised at how many 1/35 vehicles (including the tractor!!) have been announced considering they are effectively 'testing the market' in a red box and the kits arent chump change for what is already a crowded field. I do hope they havent committed loads of quids to the range, I really do.... am sure they could place a decent order with Arma for their basic Hurri too...

I have no problem with Airfix releasing other tools in red boxes with Cartograph decals  - they can be selective and do limited runs after all.

I'll be having the Jetstream, Hunter and maybe a Wimpey- possibly a Heron and deffo a Tiger Moth - I am weak and may go for a Spit too.

I think its great - it shows confidence in the brand - hopefully a canny business brain hasnt overextended the cash expenditure. Inevitably a civil boxing Tiger in Brooklands markings will come out as the varnish is drying on the first one I've made though...

Bravo the 'fix!

TT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm fairly happy, new me262 boxing that I'll probably get. Might get a gladiator as well. Sea Vixen and Spitfire are both likely ones to get. The buccaneer is not a favourite, but it's certainly nice.

1 hour ago, mahavelona said:

They seem to go for £23 cheapest on eBay. Do you view that as cheap or expensive? For me, that is fairly expensive for a single engine 1/72 plane although I know others may disagree and that the price of kits has been rising. I'll grant you that I would not expect an Airfix offering of the same plane might end up costing about the same though!

It's a pretty large single engine plane. I've seen one on ebay for $16.99 not including shipping. Cheapest US price seems to be $23.

There's also LuckyModel out of Hong Kong: https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TP01619

18 hours ago, AlCZ said:

Total disappointement... Still: No Hurricane Mk.IIC 1/48, still no long nose Blenheim, still absence of New tool Vulcan. MiG-17 - niice, but only 1 variant 😕 Quarter scale Tiger Moth - very good - but that is really all ?! I hope in another quarter scale RAF bomber...and nothing ! Hornby don't need a £ ? 

I probably buy a one Tiger Moth and car scale Hellcat, maybe Griffon powered Spit... 

Think outside the box.  The 'total disappointment' is to yourself and yourself alone.  Others have varying degrees of pleasure as other postings will show..

I can't assess another Hurricane (when they they already have one), heard at Telford there would be no long nose Blenheim, and why retool the Vulcan when it's the only one available ?

Hornby Hobbies are in the business to make money, not to satisfy the whims of individual modellers who think their own personal preferences are sales goldmines.  Airfix, and Airfix alone know what sells and what doesn't.

For myself (strictly 1/72), I'll probably not buy anything from Airfix this year, but I'm happy if a little disappointed.

Why?  a) Others appear happy - particularly Buccaneer fans b) Airfix/Hornby Hobbies seem to be 'on the road to recovery' producing world class kits.  We should all be grateful for that.

• Like 6

New tool Buccaneer and Mig-17F in 1/72 will do me! The RAF boxing of the Phantom FG.1 is a nice bonus.

My only criticism would be the re-used marking options in the re-popped A6M2, Blenheim Mk I and Hawk 81A-2 in contrast to the 1/72 Typhoon and Skyhawk which get new ones. Other than that, no real complaints.

Mike.

Hurricane Mk.IIC is important version. Yes, make it Hawa & Italeri, but Hawa is no longer available and Fix BoB Hurri is much better as Italeri offer. But - when it don' t make Fix make it cannon Hurri (or Hurribomber and other variant) our little Ed.... In future...

Long nose Blenheim is one of important bomber of first phase of WW2. And in small scale Airfix long nosed Blenheim have...

And yes, i wait for quarter scale "Rider on the Sky" - aka Wellington. Their 1/72 is very nice. 

Ancient (in Czech language we say "old murder")P-61 is too niiice. Big ugly "Spider" in new tool be a most better choice... And He-219...

Victor exist before releasing of new Fix too (from Matcbox). Airfix Vulcan is 40 years old kit... and new be better...

Re-box of Academy AFV....  yes, in UK is Airfix a Toyshop suppler, but from adults modeler - who can bought a Academy AfV- then have it. Nothing interess. But i understand - this is for Kids...and Toyshops... Abrams, Hetzer, Škoda Lt-35, T-34 family and Panzer IV are excellent kits. And now prepare Academy Late production "Garfield"- i curious ! Tiger I, Königstiger and M-10 are better choice from another companies... (Tiger I from DML, maybe now HobbyBoss, King from Meng and Takom and Wolverine from Tamiya...)

AIRFIX is British company - so curious i waiting from him a BRITISH types...

1/48 Lancaster & Halifax & Boeing & Liberator.   

And Superfortress/Washington/Bull ! 1/72&1/48. 

1/48 new tool Lanc (minimal) must be a Gold Mine !  In 1/72 we have fron last Decade three new tool kits - expect Airfix, in 1/32 - TWO (Uggh)and in 1/48 venerable Tamiya only...

Edited by AlCZ

11 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I have ideas for that 1/144 Concorde prototype.   

:lol:I have ideas for about 4!! Including the Greater Nazi Reich SST which featured (albeit briefly) in the TV series Man in the High Castle!. This is one reissue I am delighted to see. I have one each of the original BOAC and Air France versions but, I was loath to cut them up!!

Allan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mahavelona said:

The Italeri kit, to my knowledge, is rarely available for less than £25-30 in the UK. I've not seen one in a model shop for some time. A lot of the eBay listings for it are coming from the continent and have about £15 postage on top of the price. 

Certainly the Italeri kit is far, far superior to the Airfix offering, which requires a lot of work. But in the UK at least, the new Airfix offering is likely to be available for around half the price that a British modeller might find the Italeri SM.79 where it is available. Personally I think £17 is a little steep to pay for the Airfix offering due to its lacklustre quality but I'm sure it will be available for a few pounds less very soon after release; that seems to be the pattern. 

Of course, I am the modeller who opted to spend £10 on the Airfix Catalina and wrestle with it all summer rather than plump for the more expensive Academy or Revell offering - whilst I know many other modellers would rather purchase the more expensive and vastly superior kit.

I just ordered two of the Italeri kits from Jadlam Toys and Hobbies for the princely sum of £13.38 each! Free postage too ! Personally, I think Airfix has a bit of a nerve expecting us to pony up £16.99 for a much older and, vastly inferior kit.

Allan

• Like 1

As with others I am happy now i have been able to see the list proper. Won't want them all abut a fair few of them.

Incidentally, not sure if its been mentioned re the 1/35 stuff, Airfix did do a range of soft skinned vehicles to this scale in the 1970's I don't recall the origins someone like ARII or Nichimo I don't know.

8 minutes ago, occa said:

A08017A Boeing B17G Flying Fortress - New Schemes 1:72 Jan-19 £30.99

^^ That one doesn't show up anywhere on their site, am I blind ?

Possibly planned at one stage but now quietly dropped due to some supply uncertainty or other issue. 

11 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

I just ordered two of the Italeri kits from Jadlam Toys and Hobbies for the princely sum of £13.38 each! Free postage too ! Personally, I think Airfix has a bit of a nerve expecting us to pony up £16.99 for a much older and, vastly inferior kit.

Allan

Oh wow! That is superb. Cheers for mentioning that. I must admit I rarely, if ever, venture beyond eBay and my LMS for buying models so I was not aware you could get this kit at that price. I am very tempted... And much less excited about Airfix's offering!

Do you happen to know if the current 'sale' price of £13 is a permanent thing or has it only happened recently? 

A new Buccaneer is god news. And maybe it makes ways for an 1/72 Scimitar?

A new Mig 17 was a surprice. Hope it is better made than the not so old Mig 15. And I still want an Mig 19.

An reissue of the BOAC prototype Concorde is interesting. But is it ok these days as a kit? The latest Airfix 1/144 BOAC 707-436 are almost unbuildable.

The Graf Spee and HMS Belfast was two of the best Airfix 1/600 scale ships. The best is still the Prinz Eugen.

And for sure I would get the 1/72 Gladiator this time. 

Cheers / André

Ps.

Hope that Airfix makes an 1/72 J 34 Hunter as well!

2 minutes ago, mahavelona said:

Oh wow! That is superb. Cheers for mentioning that. I must admit I rarely, if ever, venture beyond eBay and my LMS for buying models so I was not aware you could get this kit at that price. I am very tempted... And much less excited about Airfix's offering!

Do you happen to know if the current 'sale' price of £13 is a permanent thing or has it only happened recently? 

Honestly have no idea  but, there are a couple of other SM 79 kits available at prices in the £15-£16 range . I actually found the kits I ordered on Ebay - Jadlam has an ebay shop. Worth a look at any rate!

Cheers

Allan

• Thanks 1