Airfix for 2019

Julien

I think it's a pretty good selection, there's between 10 & 20 there I'd certainly like to buy. I also like reading threads like this as I find the negative ramblings of the seekers after obscurity or the elitist "there's nothing good enough for me as I have 400 Hasegawa kits & none of this looks any better so I won't be buying any of it", as if any of us are that interested.

That said some Arma quality late mark Hurricanes in 72nd & 48th would be most welcome.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AlCZ said:

Total disappointement... Still: No Hurricane Mk.IIC 1/48, still no long nose Blenheim, still absence of New tool Vulcan. MiG-17 - niice, but only 1 variant 😕 Quarter scale Tiger Moth - very good - but that is really all ?! I hope in another quarter scale RAF bomber...and nothing ! Hornby don't need a £ ?

You could also write in ALL CAPS - that's also a very popular fashion of getting your point across... 🙄

I'm very sorry for you. I hope, in all your disappointment, you can spare a thought for all those poor forum members who have been hoping for a brand spanking new tool Farley Fruitbat in their one favourite scale and who are now filling up the psychiatric emergency wards once again. Also for the poor souls who wanted a new mainstream Buccaneer in 1/72... wait, strike that! 😁

Edited by ivand
avoiding ad hominem replies
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7

Wondering if the F-15/16/18 starter sets might be someone elses mould seen as there is a possible tie up with Academy for the 1/35th stuff?

Arabest,

Geoff.

I sincerely hope so, because the old Airfix tools don't warrant the announced prices after we've been submerged by a couple of new generations of kits of the 'teen series' fighters that are, frankly speaking, superior.

(But I doubt they resisted the temptation to beat some life out of their old molds again - I really appreciate it when they do this with the Heron, Jetstream, Dominie and other pretty unique subjects, but I think no one is waiting for an obsolete F-15, 16 or 18)

Edited by ivand

Well, that was a dud in 1:72, though I can't say that it will ruin my day. The Czechs and Russians are really the ones supplying most 1:72 these days, and their output will keep me more than occupied in 2019. And there is that 1500+ kit stash to consider....

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

It has Luftwaffe scheme? I now suddenly want one

Now if only they'd scale it down to 1:48 without the engine, I'd buy one. A Typhoon in RLM 71 and 04 would be a fine addition to my collection.

Initially a bit disappointed, but I have to admit that it seems Airfix have picked a good range of new releases, and the 1/35th armour won't hurt them assuming it's Academy.

Plus it looks like the P-51, B-25, 1/72 Blenheim and Wellington are going well judging by the updated boxings (number 4 for the P-51 in 48th and likewise for the Blemheim IIRC).

Certainly enough for a few purchases throughout the year. A few in my local IPMS are already eyeing off the Mig-17 for the annual group build.

2 hours ago, TheBeardedOne said:

I certainly find the Airfix Classics range alluring, particularly the WWII British Army and RAF Personnel SETS (definitely more so than when Airfix announced the first bunch) Surprised that the 'leaked' Wellington II wasn't in there instead of the VIII as that seemed like a dead cert 

Well they're not going to release all the versions at once. I'm thinking there are still the Mk.II, Mk.III and even possibly an early Mk.I still on the cards based on the various flashed over areas and mold lines on the Ic kit.

First thing. I am mostly a 1/48th builder (well part-builder). That said I think this is a pretty decent effort for a company that is still in difficulties. After giving my friend a good listening to I'm really coming round to a Tiger Moth even. I think the Classic releases are well thought out as many were fetching silly money from dealers and eBay sellers. Now many more people will be able to get one, with (hopefully) usable decals, and have cash to buy more. Profits to Airfix to keep things going. What would be a sows ear to one person can be a silk purse to another. I have ideas for that 1/144 Concorde prototype.   

At last, a 1/24th TSR2 with full weapons load!!!..... oh, no, wait.....😥😥😥

But there are some there that will tempt me, Typhoon in Luftwaffe markings, prototype Concorde, the all-black Phantom and Buccaneer (wrong scale of course, but, hey, what the heck!). And the Apollo stuff.

The 1/72 figures. Are they now in proper plastic or still in the hideous rubbery stuff?

Graham

10 hours ago, Julien said:

A08017A Boeing B17G Flying Fortress - New Schemes 1:72 Jan-19 £30.99

Can someone point me to a link of this release. I've been searching the Airfix 2019 pages all day and cannot see this particular listing.

Cheers.. Dave

10 hours ago, Col. said:

There seems to be a current fashion to decry any new release as boring or a missed opportunity or the wrong scale or whatever else anyone can possibly find to moan about but I can honestly say I'm delighted by this. It's going to be an expensive but highly enjoyable year for me :) 

Hear, hear. I think it's a cracking line-up for Airfix this year. I wish I had a tenner for every time I've said (or heard said) 'I wish they'd re-release the Dominie and Jetstream'. 

• Like 6

My thoughts for what they are worth. With the balancing act that is Hornby/Airfix, this is a very reasonable statement of intent for this year and most likely there will be something for everyone. But I would like to suggest that for instance the Hunter 4/5 (having just got a new F6!) is a logical way to go as that period in the aircrafts history was probably the most colourful . That said , multiple purchases should logically follow spurred on by the decal trade , Extradecal etc. Likewise the Prototype Concorde , remember all those airlines punting models in their colours such as Braniff, Pan Am ,Japan Airlines etc. Thanks to suppliers such 26 Decals and others multiple purchases may result yet again, that is money for Airfix's sustained future. Releasing old "classics" such as the Heron , Bulldog and Jetstream although not state of the art , they will sell and again generate after market products. We all at sometime buy something of a lesser quality because the subject is of interest to us and thus allow a little slack on the manufacturer and the opportunity to acquire these hard to come by subjects is a big plus for me. Thankfully we are all different and what one will embrace another will not, such is the hobby we enjoy. Whoever you are ,enjoy your modeling and keep your eye on the horizon. Oh, if you really want to build that Phatbucket Mk6 ,do what Jonners and many others do.....scratch it!

Keith.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Col. said:

There seems to be a current fashion to decry any new release as boring or a missed opportunity or the wrong scale or whatever else anyone can possibly find to moan about but I can honestly say I'm delighted by this. It's going to be an expensive but highly enjoyable year for me :) 

Agree totally Col.  But it has always been the case I think - it's just that in todays ultra-connected world, the disappointed have a much larger pram from which to throw out their dummy :)

I'm sure when Sir Tim Berners Lee et al came up with the web concept, they expected it to be a place for the exchange of ideas and information- to benefit and enrich all: Not a whinging shop for those with bugger all better to do. :)  We all do it, because we are all human - but perhaps we should all try to not do it.  It's perfectly possible to not do it - it's called think twice, type once, and if you haven't got anything better to say - then don't. 🤔 😁

Cheers

Jonners

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

They are going for moulds that can be changed to give multiple versions; both the Buccaneer and the MiG-17 are likely be released in several iterations over the years to come.

Two new cold war kits, but only variations of earlier WW2 releases this time.

I am personally happy enough as the 1/72 Buccaneer and MiG-17 alone are IMHO worth the wait. The 1/48 new offerings are also interesting, although by now the Spitfire had already been announced and the Hunter is "only" a new version of an existing tool. The 1/24 Hellcat may have already be known but sure is an important new kit.

I have mixed feelings about the many older tool re-released in 2019, some are interesting, others are kits better forgotten, in any case everybody reuses their old catalogue to make some quick cash, makes sense to do it.

Don't know about the tanks, they sure fill a market segment in which Airfix was absent, in some markets Airfix is more easily available than Academy and this benefits both companies, in other markets having an Academy kit in an Airfix box may or not be good depending on the relative pricing of both companies. In any case it's a cheap way to add subjects to a catalogue, Italeri and even more Revell have been doing this for years with no problem.

At the same time I can understand how many modellers may feel disappointed as Airfix had in the past released many more actual new tools every year while this year these aren't really that many. This may or not be related to the parent company financial troubles, in any case it's also understandable that after a few years at full steam Airfix may need to calm down for a while. When the "new" Airfix started issuing new kits they had a catalogue with kits that were mostly desperately outdated, they had to sort this as soon as possible and immediately started churning new kits every year. Now they have a comfortably large catalogue of new tools, that can be updated with new decal options every now and then. Maybe there's no need anymore to issue 15 totally new tool kits every year.

In any case, since it's not our job as modellers to deal with whatever may drive a company decisions, yes, the number of new issues wasn't that great and some favourites are still missing from Airfix catalogue, reasons why I can understand the disappointment of many

• Like 2

Well, I wasn't expecting that! 

As an armour fan I was initially overjoyed to see the range of 1/35 armour kits, somehow imagining they were newly tooled! Slowly I came to realise this would not be the case... But I am pleased nonetheless. The specific nature of these kits' naming schemes leaves me hoping for some well-researched schemes from the box. 

I feel like every Airfix range announcement will always be accompanied by a chorus of disappointment; in this hobby, there are so many diverse and obscure tastes that surely not everybody can be pleased. Personally I would love to see a new tool 1/72 Westland Wapiti, Wyvern, Lysander or other obscurities, but how many would that please? We also have to remember what a good year 2018 was for new aircraft releases in 1/72 and 1/48. We are still waiting to receive some versions of the Mustang and Sea Fury announced back then.

New 1/48 Tiger Moth and 1/72 Buccaneer are sure to please most. Classic British planes which lack any decent, widely available competition in their scales.

A re-released SM.79 is an exciting prospect. The kit is beastly but the aircraft is extremely interesting to my knowledge it has been long enough since anybody issued one widely that the plane is hard to come by. This boxing will certainly be cheaper than the much better tooled Italeri offering which can sometimes be found. I'm excited to see what schemes Airfix chooses as this plane has so many exciting options. 

Echoing others above, it would surely be wise for Airfix to re-work some of their new tool 1/48 kits (e.g. Walrus, Sea Fury) down to 1/72. 

Either way, I am too poor and too saturated by stashed kits to justify much Airfix spending this year. Much as I'd love their new armour kits they might pass me by for a few years at least...  

17 minutes ago, mahavelona said:

Well, I wasn't expecting that! 

As an armour fan I was initially overjoyed to see the range of 1/35 armour kits, somehow imagining they were newly tooled! Slowly I came to realise this would not be the case... But I am pleased nonetheless. The specific nature of these kits' naming schemes leaves me hoping for some well-researched schemes from the box. 

I feel like every Airfix range announcement will always be accompanied by a chorus of disappointment; in this hobby, there are so many diverse and obscure tastes that surely not everybody can be pleased. Personally I would love to see a new tool 1/72 Westland Wapiti, Wyvern, Lysander or other obscurities, but how many would that please? We also have to remember what a good year 2018 was for new aircraft releases in 1/72 and 1/48. We are still waiting to receive some versions of the Mustang and Sea Fury announced back then.

New 1/48 Tiger Moth and 1/72 Buccaneer are sure to please most. Classic British planes which lack any decent, widely available competition in their scales.

A re-released SM.79 is an exciting prospect. The kit is beastly but the aircraft is extremely interesting to my knowledge it has been long enough since anybody issued one widely that the plane is hard to come by. This boxing will certainly be cheaper than the much better tooled Italeri offering which can sometimes be found. I'm excited to see what schemes Airfix chooses as this plane has so many exciting options. 

Echoing others above, it would surely be wise for Airfix to re-work some of their new tool 1/48 kits (e.g. Walrus, Sea Fury) down to 1/72. 

Either way, I am too poor and too saturated by stashed kits to justify much Airfix spending this year. Much as I'd love their new armour kits they might pass me by for a few years at least...  

Not sure about the SM.79... it's an ancient kit, seriously inaccurate and with very little detail. Also features a number of very odd solutions, like heavy riveting on wooden covered wings...

The Italeri kit is not currently in their catalogue but is not that hard to find, at least in continental Europe. Price for the Italeri kit varies from €15 to €18, Airfx have set the price of their rebox at £ 16.99, not bad a price in general for a bomber of that size but IMHO not competitive for the quality offered.

Of course many will not notice the inaccuracies, and I've seen very nice models made from this kit, check for example what Martian Hale is currently doing in the WIP section with this one. Still, I feel that investing some time in chasing the Italeri kit is a better option for anyone seriously interested in this subject

Edited by Giorgio N

The buccaneer is a welcome highlight, and I’m sure I’m going to pick up the redecalled kits, puzzled by the classic jet starter sets, off all those they could pick they go for ones that are superceded by far superior kits

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Outstanding news on the Buccaneer, and a Wellington is always welcome.  Shame there's no new tool Hampden in any scale, and, personally, I would have preferred a Hart to a Tiger Moth, but that's just me.

What did surprise me, rather, was the announcement of a 1/72 Willys Jeep Starter Set, for pre-order.  Isn't this the kit we've all been buying cheap from Aldi?