Year of Doom - The Aircraft

Had a bash at attaching the lights to one wing, the outer one is quite secure - not so sure about the other one. Some bad seam action as well but we won’t speak of that.

46791740664_4ab67eaac1_b.jpg

Things have been even slower than normal due to a trapped nerve in my shoulder/neck but that seems to be sorted now. In other news and especially for @BIG X - this arrived today

40557314533_6605dd66f0_b.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Avereda said:

Had a bash at attaching the lights to one wing, the outer one is quite secure - not so sure about the other one. Some bad seam action as well but we won’t speak of that.

46791740664_4ab67eaac1_b.jpg

Things have been even slower than normal due to a trapped nerve in my shoulder/neck but that seems to be sorted now. In other news and especially for @BIG X - this arrived today

40557314533_6605dd66f0_b.jpg

WOO HOO!!!

C'mon City - C'mon City - C'mon City....

Sadly I'll be sat on the couch - but metaphorically I'll be right by your side.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now standing on its own three wheels. A bit of touch up here and there and it’s on with the gloss coat and decals at which point the finish line will be in sight. Full of mistakes but I think I can live it, probably better if I leave the scratch building to those who know how in the future.

33736640678_8b8fde51f8_b.jpg

33736640708_33dbb53aaa_b.jpg

• Like 4

The decals look like being troublesome, the insignia are out of register and the code is a bit damaged. I fear this is going to be a bit of a crawl to the finish line.

33781892458_4c0ecd5477_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 21/04/2019 at 17:33, Avereda said:

I fear this is going to be a bit of a crawl to the finish line.

Nice progress with the Mustang, you’re closer to the finish now! 👍

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

I think I'd live with the 'worn' codes but that out-of-register roundel is a pita.

Yes, not so big problem. The roundel looks not so good, but not so much bad - I would prefer to finish the model and move forward.

Cheers! 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2019 at 1:57 PM, Courageous said:

I think I'd live with the 'worn' codes but that out-of-register roundel is a pita.

Stuart

I think it’s recoverable

On 4/22/2019 at 4:25 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Nice progress with the Mustang, you’re closer to the finish now! 👍

Yes, not so big problem. The roundel looks not so good, but not so much bad - I would prefer to finish the model and move forward.

Cheers! 🙂

Thanks, in a rush of excitement after attending the Salisbury IPMS show, the canopy is on. Starboard decals, gloss coat, propeller, light weathering, appropriate varnish and we’re there.

47980419323_61f737c6c3_b.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Avereda said:

Thanks, in a rush of excitement after attending the Salisbury IPMS show, the canopy is on. Starboard decals, gloss coat, propeller, light weathering, appropriate varnish and we’re there.

I’m glad to see your progress here! 👍

I think every modeler has a "shelf of doom". I could tell you stories of my Accurate Miniatures Dauntless, but my therapist recommends I leave that particular memory repressed. Same for my Fujimi Bf110, which I (re)scribed, then rivited by hand with a needle, only to have the Humbrol paint crinkle when I hit it with Testors flatcote.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 8:40 PM, Johnny_Sokko said:

I think every modeler has a "shelf of doom". I could tell you stories of my Accurate Miniatures Dauntless, but my therapist recommends I leave that particular memory repressed. Same for my Fujimi Bf110, which I (re)scribed, then rivited by hand with a needle, only to have the Humbrol paint crinkle when I hit it with Testors flatcote.

Ouch, the 110 would have been straight in the Bin of Doom if that had been me.

• 3 weeks later...

And we’re done, briefly. I snapped the aerial off before the photos and it has gone to a better place but I’m still calling it done. The metallic touch up is unpleasant so don’t zoom in too close, there was also bad pooling of the satin varnish. If you zoom in on anything try the pilot which was about the only thing that pleased me.

48114887921_0d06eeb591_b.jpg

48114924803_ca25507ec8_b.jpg

Next up a metal wing Hurricane Mk.I that dived to doom in the Britmodeller 10th Anniversary GB.

48114924823_9771bd411a_b.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Love seeing you finish off these doom shelf sitters, it gives me hope! 

Carry on the cracking work!

Rob

Cheers, I’m hoping to get at least another three done before the end of the year

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 9:26 AM, CedB said:

Very nice Mustang John, like that a lot :) 

Thanks Ced, much appreciated. The Hurricane is starting to take shape, undercarriage attached and on with Mr Surfacer 1500.

48220974406_26e8410f75_b.jpg

48223503551_751290c232_b.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Avereda said:

This is going to painted in a Desert Scheme by the way, much useful input was provided by @Graham Boak and @dogsbody in the original GB thread.

The scheme is the top one pictured here

27164945698_860d4f8c08_b.jpg

I’m a fan of the scheme, I like the spaghetti hurricanes. Looking good so far! Interested as to how the paint work goes

Rob

On 7/8/2019 at 1:26 PM, rob85 said:

I’m a fan of the scheme, I like the spaghetti hurricanes. Looking good so far! Interested as to how the paint work goes

Rob

The scheme may be a bit speculative, I’ve seen one photo from the rear which has left me none the wiser. I’m planning to follow the decal scheme to an extent, replacing the yellow nose and spaghetti base colour with aluminium.

Here’s an up to date report. Pilot and controller in, the gun sight had been knocked off a while back so I scratched something which came out sort of ok.

48273415092_ee5631f7ed_b.jpg

Canopy on, a bit musty but it will have to do. Canopy masking to follow when the mood takes me.

48273415082_c1ce3f0316_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I’ve gone for a self mixed light blue for the undersides using iModelKit for the mix ratios. The photo makes it look a bit darker than in the flesh but I think it could still have been a touch lighter. The mix could probably have been thinned a touch more as well, all part of the learning process I suppose.

48551807972_3f565862b3_b.jpg

The mix numbers for anyone who’s interested 

48557925506_8e90c97c4b_b.jpg

• Like 2

A mass of masking, not massively interesting but I discovered podcasts while doing it. It took approximately 2 hours of English Civil War podcasting, specifically this set on the Revolutions podcast site https://www.revolutionspodcast.com/2013/09/001-the-kingdoms-of-charles-stuart.html, to get me through the masking. Highly recommended as a way of maintaining masking mojo.

48586133117_e2ecb65a10_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It can be a cruel game sometimes. I was happily going to report the addition of Dark Earth and the readiness for decals but when I pulled out the decal sheet something didn’t look quite right.

48694193643_1bb0efb8f1_b.jpg

I’ll have a little drink and a think before I get back to this one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...