Year of Doom - The Aircraft

Taking my cue from other multiple build threads, those curated by Beard, stevej60, 06/24 and azureglo spring to mind, I thought I’d impose one of mine upon you all. The seed was sown for this approach about half way through 2018 while I was having a disastrous run of GB entries, as I watched the drawer of doom steadily fill I began to think that some form of self-control was required. The answer to my laxity was to steel myself for a year of self admonishment and thus this year will be the year of doom (fear not fellow travellers, this has nothing to do with Brexit, Trump, climate change etc but an opportunity to put right the modelling wrongs of the previous year). 

The stash of failures currently cluttering the bench are as follows: Amodel DH60 Gypsy Moth, this one did a Devon Loch just before the finish line of the Prototypes GB; Airfix Gladiator in Swedish markings, a bad experience with Mr Hobby Aqueous and Decalfix caused this one to fail in the Britmodeller 10 GB; Revell Sea Hurricane, got off to a decent start then fizzled out in the Carriers Ahoy GB; Hasegawa Hurricane Mk I, never really got going in the BM 10 GB; Airfix Mustang in Swiss markings, (Single Kit GB) went together nicely then stopped when I hit the scratch-building point; Airfix Musketeer, lost the plot when it came to the belts and bags; Airfix Dinah as a captured plane in TAIC livery, the most recent failure and another decal disaster - this will probably be the first in line as it’s technically still on the bench but will have to pulled from the Pacific GB due to a change of markings; HobbyBoss Wildcatfish, I’ll save this for the Floatplanes II GB, simply ran out of time first time round - a first foray into airbrushing enamels may also have been a contributory factor. Revell Halifax, intended as a winter build a couple of winters ago this has languished for far too long and has caused the greatest amount of guilt. Matchbox Beaufighter, I ended up with two kits but still couldn’t cobble something together, I’m blaming the Airwaves PE for the failure.

I also failed with a Valentine in the GB GB, but let’s not talk about that.

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 3

C'mon mate, don't beat yourself up - look at the great modelling you have done so far - these are 'in progress' builds, not failures. Pick up and continue any one of these and your BM mates will be with you to the glittering finish. My suggestion is keep on with your latest plan for the Dinah and get some inspiration for the others from that. Happy modelling! All the best. Mike.

• Like 4

I like the idea of the thread.  But on further thought it does appear a bit masochistic.  Might appeal to the completer within you or clear some shelf space, but you do have to ask the question if it isn't fun why are you doing it? 

For example  I'm a big Dr Who fan but I have a part built Dalek that's been sitting all alone  on the shelf of shame since 2008 (well not entirely the Kit has 2 Daleks in it, but you get what I mean), but TBH I'm going to leave it because much as I love Daleks the work necessary to finish them is a total pain as it involves carefully painting black lines on about a hundred  parts that attach to the sides of said Dalek, hence it will probably never get finished, although there is a vague possibility it might get finished some day in an alternate less annoying scheme (it came quite close to getting converted to a Victory of the Daleks Dalek last year, but when it came to it I still passed on finishing it :) )

So rambling aside I'd probably send the Shelf of doom to the spares box/Recycling center and go pick some subjects you love to model.

Edited by Marklo
  • Sad 1

@Ventora3300 @Marklo

You may, understandably, have detected a slightly melancholy tone in my original post but it shouldn’t give you cause for concern. Trust me, I do enjoy the hobby but this year I’d really like to finish some ongoing projects and it suits my purpose to present them all in a single thread.

Ideally I’d like to complete all my models within the limitations of forum group builds as I enjoy the participation but if I carry on with this approach I’m going to end up with a cupboard full of partly-finished kits.

Anyhow, thanks for comments and the implicit support - I’m off now to do battle with the Dinah again.

• Like 2

You may, understandably, have detected a slightly melancholy tone in my original post but it shouldn’t give you cause for concern. Trust me, I do enjoy the hobby but this year I’d really like to finish some ongoing projects and it suits my purpose to present them all in a single thread.

That's ok, Last year I completed a number of projects that had sat on the shelf of doom for 30 years and got great satisfaction from doing so.

Let’s get cracking then. First up the Dinah, the colour call outs on the decal sheet suggest either blue, red or grey for the rudder and elevators. I’ve gone for red for no other reason than it’ll brighten things up a bit.

39714749773_c44361ecdd_b.jpg

Hopefully I can push on towards weathering at the weekend

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Avereda said:

Trust me, I do enjoy the hobby but this year I’d really like to finish some ongoing projects and it suits my purpose to present them all in a single thread.

All the WIP I started here helped me finished the builds: something like «monkey say, monkey do» for me - I just can’t leave it unfinished here.

Looking forward for your progress!

Cheers! 🙃

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

…can you add as a preface what the 'fail' was...just an idea to help my addled mind.

I second that request please John - I can't see much wrong with that Dinah…

Nice idea for a thread too - I'm in :popcorn: 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2019 at 3:43 PM, clive_t said:

Watching with interest to see how this goes. Good luck!

Thanks Clive, nice to have you aboard

On 1/9/2019 at 7:25 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

That looks quite good in those markings!

Good luck with your plan.

What will you buy with the money you'll save by not buying new models?

The money will go towards removals to Orkney, no really

On 1/9/2019 at 8:53 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

All the WIP I started here helped me finished the builds: something like «monkey say, monkey do» for me - I just can’t leave it unfinished here.

Looking forward for your progress!

Cheers! 🙃

Thanks Nikolai, hopefully it’ll work out

22 hours ago, Courageous said:

A good start.

If your intention is is to work through your 'doom' list, can you add as a preface what the 'fail' was...just an idea to help my addled mind.

Stuart

16 hours ago, CedB said:

I second that request please John - I can't see much wrong with that Dinah…

Nice idea for a thread too - I'm in :popcorn: 

Ced, Stuart - The Dinah failed to make the finishing line in the Pacific at War GB, additionally I messed up the decals relating to its time in the Pacific theatre so I’ve had to use the ones for its later incarnation back in the US.

• Like 5

Rest of the decals on but then got slightly ahead of myself and added the matt varnish before a bit of light weathering. I’ll try and address this error during the week.

46003862784_b38e31866e_b.jpg

• Like 6

Resurrection complete. The undercarriage and canopy are awful but I’m fairly happy with the rest.

46064636734_1408fe3652_b.jpg

Remarkably my plan seems to be working so next up will be the Swiss Mustang that came to grief in the Dedicated Kit GB

• Like 16

Mate, by the standards of most of the builds on this forum, the ones I finish are all failures, so I wouldn't worry about your unfinished ones! I still love the hobby though and just do my best, and no-one can do more than that. 

• Like 3

Looks great so far. The thing all you youngsters aboard need to realize is that there are NO bad model builds. We of a certain refer to these as stepping stones!

I can almost guarantee that very few things that work out exactly right the very first time  -- for anybody. (There may be a few blessed individuals out there, but I am not one of them).  Why do you think most of us "old-timers" have a seemingly endless bin of spare parts and old decals?  These in fact represent the builds that either didn't make the grade, and get taken apart later, or with  pieces removed for conversions, or even used as "paint" mules.  The attitude to hang on to is "I can't do that --- YET"!

As some famous Brits once said "You gotta pay your dues if you wanta play the blues, but you know it don't come easy"....

Carry on,

Ed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dude! At least you've started some and finished some. I'm still on my Airfix Hurricane that I started a year ago and haven't finished. I haven't started anything else either. I have fondled other plastic, though.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments about the Dinah and the general modelling encouragement. Said encouragement has geed me up to get the Mustang going again. I’ve added the blue anti-glare patch, next I need to rectify some of the mistakes on the underside and scratch the training lights (circled in the final photo).

45992642365_e7ace43a0f_b.jpg

46907219821_6f16fb322b_b.jpg

46907219561_cf1d5e6d55_b.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Nice metallic finish, which kit is this please?

The kit is the Airfix 1/72 Mustang IV starter set, if you want to see more builds of the same kit there are a load in the Dedicated Kit GB- which is where this one came to grief. The metallic finish is Vallejo Metal Color Duraluminium which sprays very nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tiny, tiny bit of progress. I’ve corrected some of the underside mistakes, I think some zinc chromate/interior green might be required though. I’ve fiddled about with ideas for the training lights - the current scheme is pictured. Hopefully I can push on a bit now I’ve finished replacing some tiles in the bathroom...

40139017993_af865d153c_b.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

A bit slower than the previous post anticipated and only a half step forward but this is where I’m up to. I fancied interior green in the undercarriage wells (which may well be incorrect) and I also fancied trying out my new Molotow masking fluid pen. The results were not entirely successful, removal of the masking fluid has brought the Mission Models white with it and I think the green is wrong.

46434917815_95998ef526_b.jpg

On the upside I nearly have four training lights of dubious accuracy

47349876771_f7c629025c_b.jpg

• Like 4