Strange 1/72 Airfix absences?

AndrewCJ50

Recent releases would suggest that Airfix only aims for two versions from a kit, so the Beaufighter (standard and thimble noses) and Gladiator (Mk I and Mk II) are spoken for. The Hurricane also came in two boxings, one of which had fewer parts.

I agree somewhat that Airfix has missed a trick with some of the models, leaving out some important versions which could be provided with relatively few new parts, but that seems to be their modus operandi. I'd love them to do the earlier Beaufighters (and straight-winged Lightnings!), but I think we are left with the aftermarket sector to deal with our needs.

The Hurricane is more difficult than simply providing a new set of wings, but the new Arma kit has made every other metal-winged Mk I redundant.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Blackbird Models did produce. a Sea Gladiator conversion, in fact I think I have one somewhere. It's been out of stock for some time but perhaps the re-release will spur another batch of conversion parts.

Edge

Just now, Welkin said:

If the two-versions rule applies we should be OK for a high-back Spitfire XIV in 1:48. 👍

Airfix have announced a new variant of their Me 262, the A-2a, so that makes it the third 262 to be released.