S.A. Vautour - late arrival from the 60s NATO GB ++ FINISHED ++

CliffB

My second KUTA build is this 1/100 scale Heller Vautour.

P1100514.jpgy

A pretty horrible kit really, with lots of coarse raised detail, poor parts fit and overly soft plastic which makes sanding a chore.  

Still, the moulds date from 1964 and it's one of the more unusual subjects available in 1/100 scale, so I should probably count my blessings!

In the photo, the wings and engine nacelles are still loose, and there's a bit more trimming needed before I can break out the cement.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Col.  In fact, I decided to concentrate on getting this Vautour finished - it's been hanging around far too long.

So here it is - finished :yahoo:

P1100530.jpg

It may be hideous 1964 plastic (well the moulds anyway), but fortunately the decals are pure 2013.  They work really well and look great.  

Another thing that works surprisingly well is the cockpit (or rather the lack of it).  Can you tell there's nothing there, not even a hole?  No, me neither :winkgrin:

I'll post a couple more photos in the Gallery, but in the meantime thanks to all who helped this KUTA to happen.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice result. I always liked this aircraft but never built one.

Is it me, or does it look like a Hunter that got the Gerry Anderson treatment?

Thanks Pete.  Yes, I know exactly what you mean about its looks :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi,

great finish! Congrats.

I did build this kit when I thought that reaching 20 would take me several life times... Silly bottom I was!

I loved this kit, but I remember that I had brushed Humbrol 11 as thick as butter in places... It still looks great in my mind. Unfortunately the decals were the original ones designed by Michelangelo...

I love it, and thanks for the memories!

JR

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jean said:

Hi,

great finish! Congrats.

I did build this kit when I thought that reaching 20 would take me several life times... Silly bottom I was!

I loved this kit, but I remember that I had brushed Humbrol 11 as thick as butter in places... It still looks great in my mind. Unfortunately the decals were the original ones designed by Michelangelo...

I love it, and thanks for the memories!

JR

Hi Jean and thank you for your kind words.  I glad that this brought back happy memories for you :).

I've got plenty more Heller 1/100 scale kits to build, including the fantastic SO 9050 Trident!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Hi Cliff,

when I was a youngster in France, the Heller 1/100 kits were the only ones I would build, mainly on account of their low price. I still have the Etendard IV M with bits of cotton wool sticking out of the fuselage sides, where I tried to clean up some paint... No comment!

It was (is) a very nice series.

Enjoy them!

JR

• Thanks 1