F4u 1d corsair interior colours

Eenyweeny

I'm currently building a trumpeter F4U 1D corsair in 1:32 scale. This is my second model kit in about 30 years! when I was younger I was happy to follow the call-out colours from the instructions, however I now realise that these are fairly innacurate!

My question is, what colour should the green be in the cockpit and wheel wells. Is it all the same or did they use different colours... everywhere I've looked I find a different colour!!! I've used vallejo light green chrome, but it doesn't look right... Help!

I'm away from my books, the chap for this, who wrote the book I'd have looked is @Dana Bell

the colors varied depending on when built, and who built it.... 

the other member who could help with this Tommy Thomason aka @Tailspin Turtle   There might be something on his blog....  

You might want to say what your intended subject is, as that may narrow it down as well.

• Thanks 1

F4U-1D (early) cockpit: Dull Dark Green, as of Oct 1944: Interior Green

Wheel wells (early): underside colour = insignia white, later on gloss sea blue aircraft: interior green.

Source: Dana Bell, Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45, IPMS Stockholm.org.

But this is not necessarily 100% reliable due to variations by different manufacturers.

You may want to chime in, Dana, if you read this.

Michael

• Thanks 1

I think Dull Dark Green would be quite unlikely for the cockpit of an F4U-1D. It was apparently found on at least some "birdcage" -1s, but Interior Green (or tinted Zinc Chromate) was standard by or during so-called -1A production.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

I think Dull Dark Green would be quite unlikely for the cockpit of an F4U-1D. It was apparently found on at least some "birdcage" -1s, but Interior Green (or tinted Zinc Chromate) was standard by or during so-called -1A production.

Agree - that's what I used on my -1A. It's not clear, however, when Dull Dark Green was finally phased out of USN aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for your speedy replies... the green shown in those fantastic photos is not far off what I've actually used... so I may stick with that! 

As to my intended subject, I haven't really thought about it!!! sorry, I know that's the wrong answer, but I was just building straight out of the box... It appears to be N9964Z confederate air force... I'm guessing that's probably post war.

A bit of research shows that N9964Z was built by Goodyear and never saw action! D'oh... ah well, I like the simple colour scheme and check board pattern on the cowl and tail!

A closer look at the available images shows that the gun ports have been covered over, the wheel wells are painted white and I'm guessing that the aircraft depicted  in the instructions shouldn't be carrying bombs and rockets!!! 

So what do I do now?

Edited by Eenyweeny

1 hour ago, Eenyweeny said:

A bit of research shows that N9964Z was built by Goodyear and never saw action! D'oh... ah well, I like the simple colour scheme and check board pattern on the cowl and tail!

A closer look at the available images shows that the gun ports have been covered over, the wheel wells are painted white and I'm guessing that the aircraft depicted  in the instructions shouldn't be carrying bombs and rockets!!! 

So what do I do now?

Clip the wingtips and build it as an FAA one ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eenyweeny said:

N9964Z was built by Goodyear

OK, if it was built by Goodyear it is actually an FG-1 Corsair.

I'd not trust Trumpeter a far as i could throw them, and N9964Z does not look like a serial number,  more like a US civil registration, which make sense as

2 hours ago, Eenyweeny said:

It appears to be N9964Z confederate air force... I'm guessing that's probably post war.

the CAF is a private collection of warbirds, now know as the commemorative air force

https://commemorativeairforce.org

and here you go

https://commemorativeairforce.org/aircraft/28

Our corsair was built by Goodyear hence the designation FG instead of F4U. BuNo 92468 (Stands for “Bureau Number” which is the Navy serial number of the airframe) never saw military combat but was used stateside in various roles until being stricken from active duty by the US Navy in 1956. BuNo 92468 was rescued from destruction in 1957 by Ernest Huggins. Ernest only held the corsair for one year when he transferred ownership to Skip Underwood of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Underwood relocated the plane to an airstrip in Buckeye, Arizona where he had a small crop dusting operation and it remained there in storage until sold in 1960 to CAF Hall of Fame member Marvin L. “Lefty” Gardner.

In 2001 the Corsair painted was at the Vought Industries Dallas facility as #530 from VMF-312 representing 1st Lt. MO Chance.

If you REALLY want to know about Goodyear built Corsairs,  get the book KD431, the Time capsule Corsair

https://www.fleetairarm.com/exhibit/corsair-kd-431/2-4-18.aspx

https://www.fleetairarm.com/aviation-museum-past-projects.aspx

Can an aircraft that was re-painted many years ago be returned to its original paintwork: presuming it survives beneath the later layers?

If the original paintwork can be revealed, is it a financially feasible exercise and what will it add to our understanding of the aircraft?

In 2000 it was decided to use the Museum's Corsair FG-1 to pioneer this "whole aircraft" method of paintwork conservation. We believe this ground breaking project to be the first of its kind in the aviation Museum world.

Using techniques familiar to archaeologists and forensic scientists this project has revealed, after three years of painstaking work, a unique, time capsule aircraft. Inch by inch, layer by layer, the entire aircraft has been scrutinised, researched and carefully stripped of the paint finish applied in 1963, when the aircraft was first presented to the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

THE RESULT- A Corsair in as near to totally authentic and original condition from 1944 as it is possible to achieve.

Paintwork, markings, stencilling, even the scratches and wear marks from the period are all original.

Of the forty or so remaining Corsairs around the world (some in flying condition, some on display in Museums) there are no known examples in their truly original condition other than the Fleet Air Arm Museum's Corsair KD 431.

View of KD 431 after three years painstaking work. All of the paintwork, markings, scratches and wear marks are authentic and original from 1944-45. 

the book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-KD431-Time-Capsule-Fighter/dp/075094305X

it does turn up cheaper, ajnd maybe in the US or Canada.

But, in short as KD341 was never "restored" all the internals are as built,  including all the stencils, factory marks etc etc.  

My copy not to hand so can't reel off the details.

HTH

• Thanks 1

Wow you guys are amazing!!! I've never once thought to check that the model I'm building was actually real, however I was only about 12 the last time I built anything this small!!

I've decided just to build this one as a representation of a corsair that could have been... and just enjoy the build and the processing of gaining new skills. I'll probably invest in the Tamiya kit when I'm more proficient.

I'd like to create a build log of this model and ask for constructive criticism from you guys, if that's appropriate?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eenyweeny said:

I'd like to create a build log of this model and ask for constructive criticism from you guys, if that's appropriate?

Absolutely, it is very welcomed,  you will get masses of support and interest,  plus helpful hints and tips.

Note, I assume the CAF FG-1 when built was very like KD431 in finish, as in over Gloss Sea Blue,  as such the wheel wells are GSB, the interior look like this

36196805080_9fa3709d37_b.jpg

Cockpit

CorsairCockpit.jpg

If you google image KD431 Corsair you will ge masses of photos,

doh, we even have our own walkround...

So, as you can see the UC legs and well are GSB, the cockpit is interior green and the other internals are tinted zinc chromate... 

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

Hello @Eenyweeny ... From asisbiz https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/NAS/pages/Goodyear-FG-1D-Corsair-NARTU-White-FF59-BuNo-92225-ran-off-the-runway-at-NAS-Oakland-23rd-Jun-1947-01.html

Corsair side number FF59 was part of a Naval air Reserve Training unit. Also flying off of USS Cape Gloucester CVE-109 by Lt.Col.Donald Yost VMF-351 ? Thats what ive found so far. Will keep looking. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Main wheel wells were underside camouflage color on all paint schemes, they were not interior green.

As has been pointed out, dark dull green was in -1 Corsair cockpits. The 1D had interior green with black consoles.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eenyweeny said:

I've decided just to build this one as a representation of a corsair that could have been... and just enjoy the build and the processing of gaining new skills. I'll probably invest in the Tamiya kit when I'm more proficient.

Sometimes it’s fun to get absorbed in the minutiae of figuring out what color underwear the pilot was wearing for a particular mission and modeling that (trust me, I can get a little crazy myself), but sometimes it’s reasonable to build just for the fun of it. Good for you! Have fun building!

I should also say there’s some great detail photos that have been posted here! Love it. 

Edited by RadMax8
Adding photo comment
  • Like 2