1/48 - Hawker Hunter F.Mk.4/Mk.5 & J34 by Airfix - released

Homebee

The Swedish scheme caught my eye but plenty other options for this kit so hopefully a popular one with the aftermarket decal companies. Looks as if they've modified the airbrake as well - at least for the profile artwork. That'll make the T-7/8, GA/PR-11 conversions easier :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Just now, Col. said:

The Swedish scheme caught my eye but plenty other options for this kit so hopefully a popular one with the aftermarket decal companies. Looks as if they've modified the airbrake as well - at least for the profile artwork. That'll make the T-7/8, GA/PR-11 conversions easier :thumbsup: 

There are parts on the clear sprue of the F6 that look like the GA11 and Pr marks are in their plans

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dave Fleming said:

There are parts on the clear sprue of the F6 that look like the GA11 and Pr marks are in their plans

I hope they include correct instrument panels and combings for those marks.

I look forward to this kit being released,as I am finding the F6 remarkably easy to build.I hope that the new kit offers options for the F5,as the 1 Squadron markings shown are for that mark.

You're not alone Selwyn.. I find the straight wing Hunters more appealing and I'll probably hold off buying an F.6 now that this version has been announced too. 

I believe the No.1 Squadron Suez version was actually an F.5, but do not know enough about the intricate Hunter difference to suggest that this cannot be done from this kit.  

The CAD diagram raises a few questions as well. Will we be getting a completely new wing, or have to chop sections from the F.6 wing and attach these darker straight leading edge pieces? (If that indeed is what they are?) I'd prefer the easy option myself.. Roll on aftermarket decal suppliers. This should be a treat.

Cheers.. Dave  

Extremely excited about this release!!!

I do however hope they ditch the Red Devil because they never flew the F4 but the F6...  Only the Hunter F4 in the Brussels Air Museum has been painted that way but is technically ‘inaccurate’. Also note the Belgian F4’s were registered ID-..., the F6’s IF-... So IF-70 is definitely an F6!

Also note some Belgian F4’s were modified with the dog tooth leading edge which might make visual identification a bit more difficult sometimes...

G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I believe the No.1 Squadron Suez version was actually an F.5, but do not know enough about the intricate Hunter difference to suggest that this cannot be done from this kit.  

The CAD diagram raises a few questions as well. Will we be getting a completely new wing, or have to chop sections from the F.6 wing and attach these darker straight leading edge pieces? (If that indeed the what they are?) I'd prefer the easy option myself.. Roll on aftermarket decal suppliers. This should be a treat.

Cheers.. Dave  

The 5 had some different intakes/vents on the fuselage compared to the 4.

From the look of the original kit parts and the CAD, I suspect it will be cut and replace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

The 5 had some different intakes/vents on the fuselage compared to the 4.

From the look of the original kit parts and the CAD, I suspect it will be cut and replace

Does the current wing for the F6 have a cut mark around the dog tooth leading edge? 

I wonder if the small bore engine nozzle will also be cut n shut???

10 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Does the current wing for the F6 have a cut mark around the dog tooth leading edge? 

I wonder if the small bore engine nozzle will also be cut n shut???

Good question - has anyone seen photos that show the inside of the F.6 wing. If Airfix have provided a cutting guide then would should have seen this version coming a few weeks ago. 

Cheers.. Dave 

A very good choice that I'm very happy with. The straight wing variants have been woefully forgotten til now by kit manufacturers while these served with a large number of RAF units. IMHO the best markings carried by RAF Hunters were exactly those worn by the F.4s before 1958, when many of these units were disbanded. I'm sure decal companies will go to town on this, hoping for a 93 Sqn. option !

Then of course there's the possibility of building an FAA aircraft and IMHO the EDSG over white scheme siuts the lines of the Hunter very well. Add the lack of "Sabrinas" and to me the early GA.11, in grey over white and with no Harley light, are the most elegant Hunters ever.

• Like 3

Not my preferred option, however beggars can't be choosers I suppose. Let's rejoice that we'll soon have a new accurate F.4 on the market with plenty of lovely squadron options to choose from. 

Cheers.. Dave

There appears to be internal stiffeners moulded into the F6 wing insides so all one has to do is cut along the recessed line on the inside of the wing to remove the dog tooth panel plus a section of the wing. Looking at the CAD for the F4/5 there will be a new front wing insert to fit in here.

From what I understand 1 & 34 sq Suez birds were both F5s - presumably to ease maintenance by having only Sapphire engined versions on Cyprus - and as the Sapphire didn't suffer from the  gun gas surge problems that the 100 Avon did - it would be the most "combat ready" model to boot.  F4 & F5 are pretty much identical for modellers - save for a few vents.

For those wanting a straight wing Hunter but not wanting to wait - it won't be too hard to trim back the leading edge on the F6- this will give you a straight wing F6 - of which there were plenty delivered to the RAF before the dog tooth mod became available & was fitted in the field.  You can see 92 Sqn, 14 sqn and 111 Sqn black airframes all without the dog teeth for example.

HTH

Jonners

Is anyone else slightly surprised that this has been announced now?  I would have thought the business head would let the F.6 boxing fully hit the model shelves and sell for a good while before announcing a new box.

By necessity I am a tight git, and where as I would have bought the F.6, and then the F.4 because it is preferred, I will now hold out for the F.4 issue.

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Is anyone else slightly surprised that this has been announced now?  I would have thought the business head would let the F.6 boxing fully hit the model shelves and sell for a good while before announcing a new box.

By necessity I am a tight git, and where as I would have bought the F.6, and then the F.4 because it is preferred, I will now hold out for the F.4 issue.

Surprised in that i thought they would go FGA9/FR10 first and save the F4 for a later date -

• Like 1