1/48 - Hawker Hunter F.Mk.4/Mk.5 & J34 by Airfix - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Is anyone else slightly surprised that this has been announced now?  

Isn’t it slated for release in November? 

Which given the F.6 was due in Nov last year iirc which morphed into Jan..

Then I guess the F.4/5 will arrive in around 12 months. Which is a reasonable period between releases.

Presumeably the FGA.9 is Nov 2020....

Im also feeling like I’m gong to wait for the F.4/5 but I might see if any QC issues raise their heads with the F.6 if it all seems to be clear I may end up with one of those...

I'm getting the F.6 but will probably get more F.4's simply because they wore the most colourful schemes, also, there's the possibility of a Peruvian jet too!

I'm very really pleased to see this kit.

• Like 1

The F.4 variant makes sense as it allows Airfix to cover a number of re-boxings with other colourschemes and operators (including @Wez' Peruvian example :wub: that I've never yet seen covered by any kit or aftermarket decal manufacturer) as well as opening it up for conversion to later variants such as that GA.11 whos Harley light nose we seen in the intial photographs of the clear parts and makes @Ali62forthcoming T.7/8 conversion simpler. From what I can recall of the F.6 kit all that's required will be a new wing/upper fuselage part, tailpipe, and airbrake to get an accurate F.2/4 but can anyone tell if the link ejector chutes in the forward fuselage are moulded to allow for the F.2/early .4 without the collector bulges to be done?

No slots for early version,but should be easily added.Holes are there for extended ejector pieces,but holes for the Sabrina require opening before fitting fuselage halves together.Obviously,F2/F5 would require different upper wing/fuselage,but the lower fuselage appears to cater for building without Sabrina on early marks.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:32 PM, Col. said:

The F.4 variant makes sense as it allows Airfix to cover a number of re-boxings with other colourschemes and operators (including @Wez' Peruvian example :wub: that I've never yet seen covered by any kit or aftermarket decal manufacturer) 

Duly noted! :):

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great news! I will - of course - build the Swedish version! :) I hope - and also guess, but have to write it anyway - that the stencils will be corrected, the red "Danger Ejection Seat" triangle for instance, were never used on Swedish Hunters. Here is the original Airfix decal choice aircraft:

0004.jpg

BUT... I once converted Academy's F.6 into a Swedish F.50 (F.4). And I remember that I had to change the air intakes and outlets on the rear part of the body. But comparing the 3D pictures to Airfix F.6, they appear to be the same. Was this different only on the SwAF F.50, or am I wrong...? The changes are visible on this picture from my build:

dsc-0074.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2

Just a note to say that if you want to do an F4 or 5 ( or 1 or 2 for that matter) without the Sabrinas, as well as cutting new shell link ejection ports ( which look like  rectangular slots) you will need to alter the orientation of the circular shell case ejection chutes - these were above each other on un-sabrina-ed machines, rather than horizontally aligned when the Sabrinas were fitted. You also have a choice when Sabrinas are fitted  of the original short length shell case ejection ports ( the forward one sticks out a little, the rearward is flush and this hole angles in & forward too) or the later modified lengthened ones in which both stick out (which is what I think the Airfix F6 kit has).

Clear? :)

Jonners

• Like 2

I think I’ll stick to a dog toothed version, not least because I can do a late service one from 1TWU with LAG undersides (I hate silver!).

Talking of the F.5 (and F.2 I suppose) to be accurate any model depicting an example in flight or just landed, will have to feature a very long oil streak running most of the length of the underside. The Sapphire engine used what I think was called the Total Loss Oil System, meaning that there was a vent in the underneath and the oil would escape and be caught in the slipstream. I have seen a photo of this (I think) in the Francis K Mason book on the type, but hard as I try google-fu doesn’t provide an example.

Trevor

Hello TT,

I would love to see good shots of the upper fuselage of the F2, so that I might produce an accurate model of one.Good drawings of Sapphire engined Hunters are sadly lacking,

Bill.

• Like 2

Thank You Jonners,for the information on the ejector ports.I had noticed the different configurations in photographs,but you seem to have summed the differences up nicely,

Bill.

21 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Great news! I will - of course - build the Swedish version! :) I hope - and also guess, but have to write it anyway - that the stencils will be corrected, the red "Danger Ejection Seat" triangle for instance, were never used on Swedish Hunters. Here is the original Airfix decal choice aircraft:

0004.jpg

If one has VERY keen eyes it's possible to see that Airfix didn't put the right Flottiljmärke (division shield?) on their artwork.

That blue mark they've used is from F 14, which was an attack division that never flew Hunters.

They should use this shield instead

180px-S%C3%B6dert%C3%B6rns_flygflottilj_

And not this one

180px-HMS_Halland_vapen.svg.png

Still, that's a minor issue, and I guess the artwork isn't final yet.

I'll still buy it though!

• Like 3

@Christer A

Why don’t you drop Airfix a line and let them know about your findings. One would think that the decal artwork could still be amended at this early stage. It’s little bits of helpful information like this that make forums like these so useful. 

Cheers and good spotting.. Dave 

• Like 1

Thinking about it, the Danes used export versions of the Mk. 4 which were originally operated in the DG/DSG/Silver scheme but stayed in service for long enough to end up in the tatty overall green scheme.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Now there's an offer!  Yes please. Is the museum open over the winter?

cheers

Jonners

Negative matey she's wrapped up for the winter  - we reopen at Eastser - but thereafter whatever you need am happy to take snaps of. We have spent 6 years restoring her from the bang seat to the cockpit, she even has her RADAR and G45 camera reinstalled! She is in the process of being repainted into her original 257 Sqn colours  - However for the time being feel free to like the Sywell Aviation Museum Facebook page theres a shed load of images on there - sadly some include the ugly mugs of our volunteers - you'll also see some unpublished 257 Sqn shots there too.

eg - upper shot 

Cockpit 

Airbrake

ATB

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 09/01/2019 at 11:46, Diego said:

Duly noted! :):

HD48029 & HD72059  Hawker Hunter F.4 / F.6 / FGA.9 / FR.10 / T.66 "Desert birds of prey" 

- F.52 (F.4) Peruvian AF with colorful unit insignia,1962,

- FGA. 71 (FGA.9) Chilean AF in desert camouflage,1978,

- FGA. 71 (FGA.9) Chilean AF in ghost grey camouflage, 1975,

- T.72 (T.66)  Chilean AF in tree tone desert camouflage, 1984,  

- FGA.76 ( FGA.9) Somali AF in desert scheme and Soviet K-13 (AA-2 Atoll) AAM, 1983,

- FGA 73 (FGA.9) Omani AF with experimental grey disruptive camouflage,1979,

- FR.10 Omani AF with grey camouflage and combat mission markings, 1980,

- F.6 Jordanian AF with 1 kill marking (IDF/AF Mirage III) in 1966,

- FR.10 (F.6)  Jordanian AF credited with an IDF/AF Mirage III and 2 Mystère IVs kills, 5 June 1967.

Greetings

Diego

This is good news Diego, should you consider doing another Hunter sheet how about Danish subjects in both schemes - the dark sea grey/dark green and silver as originally delivered followed by the overall green scheme.

If you include a Danish T.7 equivalent remember, these retained the straight leading edge wing of the Mk.4 rather than the later dog-toothed leading edge wing.

New Xtradecal sheet announced

- ref. X48213 - Hawker Hunter F.4

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48213

• WV255, ‘X’ flown by Flight Officer Nigel Walpole of 26 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Oldenburg, West Germany, 1956.
  • XF313, ‘G’ of 76 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Bruggen, West Germany, December, 1956.
  • WV269, ‘H’ of 74 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Horsham St Faith during ‘Exercise Valiant’, May 1957.
  • WV314, ‘B’ of 92 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Linton�"on-Ouse, 1956.
  • XE667, ‘Z’ of IV (AC) Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Geilenkirchen, West Germany, 3 April 1956.
  • WW663, ‘H’ flown by the C.O of 14 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Alhorn, West Germany, 18 March 1957.
  • WV973, ‘B’ of 20 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Oldenburg, West Germany, 1957.
  • XF317, ‘U’ flown by Flying Officer Mike McEvoy of ‘B Flight’, 67 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Bruggen, West Germany, April 1957.
  • WV267, ‘R’ of 93 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Jever, West Germany,1957.
  • WT802, ‘P’ of 98 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Jever, West Germany, 1957.
  • XE713, ‘E’ of 66 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Acklington, 1959. 
  • Hunter FR.71A, J-734, (Previously ex-RAF XF317) of 8 Grupo, Chilean Air Force, based in Chile, 1976.

X48213-6.jpg  X48213-2.jpg  X48213-5.jpg

X48213.jpg   X48213-1.jpg  X48213-3.jpg

V.P.

• Like 3

Also remember the 'Airfile Decals' sheet from a while back... Pricey, and some planes have been taken over on this new Xtradecal sheet, but it includes Hunters from the F.1 all the way to the FGR.9

https://www.fantasyprintshop.co.uk/shop/fantasy-printshop-airfile-fpaf-48-001-hawker-hunter-single-seater/

I only hope someone will think about some of the coolest Squadron markings ever to adorn the Hunter: 112 Sqn with the shark mouth 🙏

• Like 1

12 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

I only hope someone will think about some of the coolest Squadron markings ever to adorn the Hunter: 112 Sqn with the shark mouth 🙏

I'll be surprised if it isn't in the Airfix kit; they have previous form with this squadron in their P-40, P-51, and F-86 kits :D 

• Like 1