1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F & Lim-5 "Fresco-C" by Airfix - released - new boxing in August 2024

Homebee

I'll be honest - not one that I would have picked even if I'd chosen a hundred possible subjects, however I'm warming up to this as the day goes on. I suspect that there's a zillion schemes out there to replicate and am happy for those modellers who have been after a good Mig-17 for quite some time. Hopefully it will stack up well with some of their other new tooled kits and not look out of place parked alongside an Eduard Mig-15.

Cheers and well played Airfix.. Dave.

• Like 1

An unexpected announcement but one that makes me very happy. The MiG-17 was one of the most widely used aircraft of the '50s and '60s, more than 8,000 were built and served with almost 40 countries. The type saw combat in Vietnam, the Middle East and in a number of African wars and today is quite popular on the warbirds scene.

While there have been a few kits before, none was really accurate and if Airfix is doing their job properly, we may finally have a good kit of this important subject.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Hopefully they will tool it to accommodate the radar equipped PF as well.

Yeah, I hope that a "blah version" (PF/PFU versions... they look like the aircraft is sticking its tongue out) will come in the future but I'm already happy about the F so great announcement.

I'm expecting the Russians/Poles/Czechs/etc to nitpick on the kit though.

Edited by Laurent
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

They will! The Russians mainly because the version they had in great numbers was the early one with the smaller air brakes and this kit is of little importance for them. 

As for the PF / PFU, I dont think they will go into it, need a complete redesigne, brand new fuselage and the "long" canopy. So little if any common parts, so the costs are high.

PFU was really a stop gap solution (in very small numbers) before introduction of MiG-19PM and a test of the new guided RS missile.

Now the PF is more likely for its wide use but it is so much out of range for Airfix, why would they invest in a familly of MiG-17's. I would think this MiG-17 is more a one-off for some other purpose.

Best regards

Gabor 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

They will! The Russians mainly because the version they had in great numbers was the early one with the smaller air brakes and this kit is of little importance for them. 

As for the PF / PFU, I dont think they will go into it, need a complete redesigne, brand new fuselage and the "long" canopy. So little if any common parts, so the costs are high.

PFU was really a stop gap solution (in very small numbers) before introduction of MiG-19PM and a test of the new guided RS missile.

Now the PF is more likely for its wide use but it is so much out of range for Airfix, why would they invest in a familly of MiG-17's. I would think this MiG-17 is more a one-off for some other purpose.

Best regards

Gabor 

Something vietnam springs to mind...f-4e?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dalea said:

Fingers crossed it will be accurate. Airfix's  previous excursions to Eastern Europe have been undewhetming.

None of those previous excursions were done by the current design team, whose recent output has been very good to spectacular. I'm confident that it will be a good effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PattheCat said:

+1 for the Buc but no interest in the Fresco. Where are my Battle and Lizzie, please?

Excuse me young man this is the Mig 17 thread, I'm glad to say. The Buc thread is five further up. Go and play in their back yard and vacate this playground. Blooming kids!.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

With decals for aircrafts from Iraq, Syria and Egypt the Mig 17 is an interesting build for everyone who likes history and build IAF aircrafts.

Airfix, can we get an new Mirage III now? Or an reissue of the Mystere?

/André

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chris57 said:

Excuse me young man this is the Mig 17 thread, I'm glad to say. The Buc thread is five further up. Go and play in their back yard and vacate this playground. Blooming kids!.

Thanks for the tip about the thread concerning the Buc, Going back to my back yard. Sorry to have disturbed your bone back yard, old chap (or rather at least older than me, but we're both not "that" old, ain't we?)😉

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I really quite like the AZ series of Mig-17's. They do quite a few different versions, and lots of colour scheme and marking options.

That said, I am pleased to see a 'mainstream' manufacturer like Airfix releasing a Fresco. Looking forward to seeing some made up on here, and comparing them to the AZ kits.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Laurent said:

Yeah, I hope that a "blah version" (PF/PFU versions... they look like the aircraft is sticking its tongue out) will come in the future but I'm already happy about the F so great announcement.

Its normal I think. :)

• Haha 1

On 09/01/2019 at 10:40, VMA131Marine said:

Externally, at least, this new Airfix kit should be the most accurate MiG-17F in any scale.

Gawd, that feels wierd  to say, dossnt it! 😀 

I was thinking this might torpedo a future eduard offering?, (why tool a kit when u can go to town on the aftermarket for better return!)

Aleast from the renders its already going to be better than their 'new' mig-15!!

Hurray and 3 cheers for this one.  I suggested this a couple of years ago and I guess enough other suggested it as well.  This will be a real winner for Airfix as it will be reasonable enough to buy them in bulk.  How many cool color schemes are there for the MiG-17...there are hundreds!!!

On 10/01/2019 at 00:49, Modelraynz said:

Gawd, that feels wierd  to say, dossnt it! 😀 

I was thinking this might torpedo a future eduard offering?, (why tool a kit when u can go to town on the aftermarket for better return!)

Aleast from the renders its already going to be better than their 'new' mig-15!!

it's not difficult !

il they can think about a mig-19, after... trumpeter, when ?

2 hours ago, Fulcrum@ said:

il they can think about a mig-19, after... trumpeter, when ?

I don't think they will as I believe the MiG-17 is just an "opponent" to the A-4 and eventual Vietnam-era F-4 variants.

1 hour ago, Parrahs said:

Would this be the right version for what Nigeria got during the Biafra crisis?

Yes I think the MiG-17F is what the Nigerians had at the time.

I have a couple of African Air Forces decal sheets for MiG-17s, so I will be stocking up when it comes out.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Parrahs said:

Would this be the right version for what Nigeria got during the Biafra crisis?

Frankly speaking this will be ONE of the right versions for what Nigeria got during the Biafra crisis :)

Another one will be the Zvezda rebox of ex-Dragon MiG-17A Fresco A.

The hint is that among 36 Frescos supplied to Nigeria in 1967-69 there were 23 Egyptian -17Fs, 5 Soviet -17Fs and 8 East German -17As (with no afterburner).

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Laurent said:

I don't think they will as I believe the MiG-17 is just an "opponent" to the A-4 and eventual Vietnam-era F-4 variants.

One should remember that (although in numbers not as large as the MiG-17) the MiG-19 was also used by the North Vietnamese AF.

It's said that 10 Soviet -19s and 44 Chinese Shenyang F-6s were flown by the 925th Interceptor Regiment.

They claimed 12 US planes shot down (six were confirmed by the US: 3 Phantoms, 2 Intruders and a Starfighter) whereas the Yankees claimed 10 Farmers (8 were confirmed by the Vietnamese).

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1