1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F & Lim-5 "Fresco-C" by Airfix - released - new boxing in August 2024

Homebee

I've read all the comments here and Gabor's analysis on another forum. And honestly I'm frustrated. Airfix just did awfully bad job with the model. Wing of MiG-17 is indeed complex and I can understand simplification with the leading edge. But flat wing surface... Sorry. All aircraft have curved upper wing side. It's aerodynamics basics. And it's very prominent especially where the wing has several fences that highlight curvature.

Then MiG-15 ejection seat and non-afterburner engine... this is just homework not made.

And after all this idiotic barrel and missed C7 part on molds. No quality control?

I understand a comment that the model is for Johnny to be bought in a grocery shop. But why Johnny should build a wrong model?

I was really looking at it as an adversary model for my Vietnam and IDF collections but unfortunately not this time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

All aircraft have curved upper wing side. It's aerodynamics basics. And it's very prominent especially where the wing has several fences that highlight curvature.

Well most industrial designers probably don't know a thing about aerodynamics. What I find unfortunate is that more senior designers apparently didn't check the new guy's work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis_C said:

I've read all the comments here and Gabor's analysis on another forum. And honestly I'm frustrated. Airfix just did awfully bad job with the model. Wing of MiG-17 is indeed complex and I can understand simplification with the leading edge. But flat wing surface... Sorry. All aircraft have curved upper wing side. It's aerodynamics basics. And it's very prominent especially where the wing has several fences that highlight curvature.

No idea what kit you're looking at, but I'm looking at this one in RFI  -

- and I can see the curved upper surfaces of the airfoil extremely clearly on all three fence lines. Just try laying a ruler or sheet of paper across the bottom of the fences.

raM7bSo.jpg

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

No idea what kit you're looking at, but I'm looking at this one in RFI  -

- and I can see the curved upper surfaces of the airfoil extremely clearly on all three fence lines. Just try laying a ruler or sheet of paper across the bottom of the fences.

raM7bSo.jpg

The inner fence is most obvious. It should have same width almost all the way through. But its noticeably wider at the last third. That is because the wing is flat for 2/3 of the chord. 

Look at the fence width at blue marks (sorry for crude screenshot quickly made):

Screenshot_20200105-191650_Brave

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 4

It's great we have a simple, affordable, easy for assembly, new tool kit of MiG-17F. It will work for many as is and it's a starting point for rivet counters too. 

Just pity Airfix did not do well here although their recent releases are praised for geometrical accuracy (hope it's not because no one checked).

Sorry again if the comment is disturbing to anyone. I'm not super expert, just relying on what others say and a little bit on my own eyes. 

Probably CMK is doing a replacement resin wing, correct turbine, right ejection seat in a while...

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 5

Personally speaking Im happy with it as is. Im not particular if a wing is slightly off. As long as it looks like a 🦆 than to my eyes its a 🦆. It looks like a MiG therefore it is a Mig in my book.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Probably CMK is doing a replacement resin wing

With price as "Big Ben" , yepp

correct turbine

I rely on other firms.

right ejection seat

CMK but  for what?

Pavla have a good KK-2, but need 2nd edition from Pavla, 1st edition also good but 2nd edition better.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Just my last two cents. I've actually have another model on the shelf where the same mistake is made by the manufacturer. It's Meng's FIAT G.91. It also has a wing fence that highlights the absent curvature. Also the issue is seen at the wing-fuselage joint. It's a little less pronounced as the wing chord is shorter and only one fence there.  

Difference is Meng's FIAT was only the second model from the firm and was not announced as fantastic Gina...

14 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

It's Meng's FIAT G.91. It also has a wing fence that highlights the absent curvature. Also the issue is seen at the wing-fuselage joint. It's a little less pronounced as the wing chord is shorter and only one fence there.  

In fact Meng's FIAT G.91 have also wrong nose, but this topic no about Meng's FIAT G.91.

B.R.

Serge

6 minutes ago, Modelraynz said:

There's always Dragons wing 😛

Yes - featuring wingspan 4mm too short each side of the fuselage (some 1:77) and the same leading edge fault as the Airfix one 😫

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

B.w. January 14 marks the 70th anniversary of the first flight of the MiG-17!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-17

Anniversary!

Congratulations and salute from all

796407_original.jpg the guns!

😁

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It' s shame when Airfix made new tool "Fresco", with 3D scan and have feedback from modellers - but make it with many issues. It' s 2020 not 1990... A kit isn' t cheap and MiG 17 have a potential... But when it have a wrong wing profile, hot seat from MiG-15 and awful surface details... it is a real shame. Compare new "Fresco" from Airfix with new "Fishbed" from Eduard... Both are MiGs in 1/72, new tool from 2020... I don' t understand why Airfix release this today. When was un-accurate MiG' s kits from cold war era - ok they haven't reference . But today we have reference, real aircrafts... The "Fresh Fresco" looks as from 1990... not 2020.Sadly :(

Because it is a Czech company and i´m proud a small company from poorest part Czech Republic play extraleague in aircraft kits ? And was best West European plastic kit producer ? Look at Heller, Revell, Italeri... All going to hell, resigned to really scale modeling and transformed to toy company, with decals version or (sub)version only.... Ok, i can compare with Arma Hobby, too small company... with excellent small scale kits !  And - Eduard make MiG´s, no ? In former Czechoslovakia are MiGs very popular subject  - and discussion about new Airfix Fresco on CZ model discussions is very excited. I was a Airfix fan, when was their single engine WW I fighters cheapest (around 5 GBP)i buy it by dozens... Airfix P-51D i have 8x :). But when is price low, you can ignore a little problems with quality.(All my Mustags kit from first batch have error in strutter shaft).  But MiG-17 haven´t price tag of 5 GBP.  Very beautiful kit of MiG make too Modelsvit - not only Eduard... and i don´t understand, why you have expensive LIDAR scan, when you have references & feedback - so why you can release with all this modern options - another BAD kit of Fresco ? 

PS: I don´t know a Eduard Mustang have long main legs... I saw many finished Mustangs from Eduard and any critique on long legs isn´t here. Mustang have few mistakes... Part with guns, or very carefulness build of main gear shaft.... But - it is a best (Definitive) Quarter scale Mustang kit on market. Look at Bronco.... Both moulds from 2019. Incomparable... Ughh... 

• Like 3

Surely prior to getting the injection molds made, they will run a few of these off in 3d printed form, and distribute amongst scale modellers / aviation experts (with NDAs) to pick up on any major issues or design omissions. Hell, from just providing pre-mold 3d renders we can probably tell a lot of issues and relay them back, so there isnt even a worry of intellectual property being run off with..... Perhaps Airfix in this respect is still stuck in a 1960s cold war mindset, and hasn't realized the potential resource of its own online/modelling following. Which seems even more bizzare, as they seem to be one of the more internet savvy of the model companies...in terms of social media and advertising. 

• Like 1