1/72 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17F & Lim-5 "Fresco-C" by Airfix - released - new boxing in August 2024

Homebee

So what’s the first impressions chaps? This kit is not exactly on my radar however it wouldn’t be the first Airfix new tool to be added to the stash after hearing someone else’s glowing endorsement. I tend to think most magazine reviews are slightly biased, however also understand it would be unwise to “bite the hand that feeds you”! 

Cheers.. Dave 

30 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I don't have the kit so I don't know what part you are talking about, but I'm guessing you are talking about the ARK-5 radio compass under the rear fuselage, which is the circular panel in this photo.

sdm_mig-17f_07.jpg

Yay me, using 35 years of hard earned aircraft engineering knowledge to correctly identify something of which I have no specific knowledge about to be the thing that it is. All that hard graft was worth it.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Now I *really* need to know why!

They drew what I presume is the designer's face on the pilot figure illustration in the instructions but the head is freakishly outsized, like it has been inflated :o :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John said:

My son picked one up today. He can't get past the drawing of the pilot figure in the instructions- he says it's freaking him out 😳

John 

I don’t blame him, I believe the moulds for the North Korean pilot were copied thus! 

49246088846_328cb6b200_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

They drew what I presume is the designer's face on the pilot figure illustration in the instructions but the head is freakishly outsized, like it has been inflated :o :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15MDWC0frOZI3dcN_XN-YjiOckV9GnPSU/view?usp=drivesdk

John 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

What a lovely kit! Airfix offers a bit odd marking for the State research institute of air force (russian: Государственный научно исследовательский инсиитут ВВС) from the 70s when almost all Frescos had been pulled from the soviet Air force. Well, anyway, it is no problem to find markings for field military MIG-17s from the 50s.

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I don’t blame him, I believe the moulds for the North Korean pilot were copied thus! 

Airfix made a pilot in a coat Kim Jong-un? 😁

I'm very surprised:

13783684.jpg

😁😁

But if so, it’s good that Airfix  did made pilot MiG-17 it only in Kim Jong-un’s coat and not in a coat and on a horse!

upload-RTS2RBB8-pic4_zoom-1500x1500-9096

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2

On 19/12/2019 at 22:11, John said:

My son picked one up today. He can't get past the drawing of the pilot figure in the instructions- he says it's freaking him out 😳

John 

I agree.. it looks almost looks like a Yau ming meme face 

spacer.png

On 12/20/2019 at 5:45 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

I'd rather they modelled the pilot figure on either of the other two than the one in the middle. Then again I also wish they'd update their pilot figure to something that looks as if it's part of the kit and involved in the process of flying the damned 'plane rather than sitting in a doctor's waiting room about to undergo a prostate exam.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Col. said:

Then again I also wish they'd update their pilot figure to something that looks as if it's part of the kit and involved in the process of flying the damned 'plane rather than sitting in a doctor's waiting room about to undergo a prostate exam.

At least a pilot in that pose is less likely to do something that will break the groundcrew's aircraft!

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Diggers11 said:

I have just checked the two boxes of this kit I have, which I ordered from the Airfix website. Both boxes have part C7 (engine turbine/ exhaust rear face) missing from the sprues. So please check your kits for missing parts.

Eek that's odd!! :S would be interesting to know what happened there: have the parts been removed post injectiob, or was not formed on the sprue to begin with?

Ive had a couple of new airfix kits with errors (me-262 with tip of tail missing) and was hoping was just a quality control anomoly, but if they're missing parts....jeez.... :S

(Having ordered an embarrassing amount of these kits and the thought of replacing exhaust faces!!)

2 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

Eek that's odd!! :S would be interesting to know what happened there: have the parts been removed post injectiob, or was not formed on the sprue to begin with?

Ive had a couple of new airfix kits with errors (me-262 with tip of tail missing) and was hoping was just a quality control anomoly, but if they're missing parts....jeez.... :S

(Having ordered an embarrassing amount of these kits and the thought of replacing exhaust faces!!)

Of the four runners that come off of the part only two have the thinner sections that is supposed to connect to the part. The ends of which are cleanly moulded and show no signs that the part has been ripped off. Its as if the part was never there or it was cleanly separated and was left in the mould.

47 minutes ago, Diggers11 said:

Of the four runners that come off of the part only two have the thinner sections that is supposed to connect to the part. The ends of which are cleanly moulded and show no signs that the part has been ripped off. Its as if the part was never there or it was cleanly separated and was left in the mould.

how wierd!?!

an uneducated guesstimate- while pumping them out; mold dossn't cool enough between cycles, C7 gets stuck in mold somewhere along the line, and subsequent injections miss that part as there's nothing to inject into maybe? 🤔

16 hours ago, Modelraynz said:

how wierd!?!

an uneducated guesstimate- while pumping them out; mold dossn't cool enough between cycles, C7 gets stuck in mold somewhere along the line, and subsequent injections miss that part as there's nothing to inject into maybe? 🤔

That theory sounds plausible to me, although I'm no expert.

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The Airfix spares department are gonna be busy! 

Aren't they always after a new release?

Its weird that the two kits I have both have the same fault yet I have not heard anyone else having this issue. There must be plenty of unchecked boxes in modellers stashes.