1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

Recap

- ref. A06021 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2C - RN

https://uk.airfix.com/products/blackburn-buccaneer-s2-rn-a06021

a06021-blackburn-buccaneer-s2c-box-front

- ref. A06022 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2B - RAF

https://uk.airfix.com/products/blackburn-buccaneer-s2-raf-a06022

A06022-1-Blackburn-Buccaneer-RAF-PACK.jp

-------------------------------------------------------------

Airfix is to release in September 2019 a new tool 1/72nd Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 kit - ref. A06021

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/blackburn-buccaneer-s-mk-2-rn-1-72.html

a06021-blackburn-buccaneer-s-mk2-render-

a06021-blackburn-buccaneer-s-mk2-product

a06021-blackburn-buccaneer-s-mk2-product

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

:heart:

Together with Special Hobby's 1/72 Delta Mirage, the news of Airfix's Bucc means all my modelling wishes have been fulfilled. :thumbsup:  Will be taking at least four to finish in RAF schemes.

By the way what are the differences between the RN and RAF versions? 

Jay

15 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Together with Special Hobby's 1/72 Delta Mirage, the news of Airfix's Bucc means all my modelling wishes have been fulfilled. :thumbsup:  Will be taking at least four to finish in RAF schemes.

Jay

Bulged bomb bay?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Carlosee1974 said:

I let my frustration get the better of me on the Airfix Instragam account - by why exactly do we have to wait 9 ffffffing months for this when if, if they knew they were going to re-release it, why couldn't they have it ready to sell

This one is an all-new tooling rather than a re-release of the old kit. I don't know enough about the lead-times for producing a new model kit to comment with any authority but they may not have cut the moulds yet far less made the first models from them.

1 hour ago, Mountain goat said:

Jay

The main one (On the 2B ) is the bomb bay, but there are others like the RWR cones on the tail on later airframes, and the shape of the wing mounted ESM pods. The pylon location may also differed to allow Martel carraige (Think that applies to some Navy ones too)

What is slightly intruiging in the CAD is the intakes and jet pipes are a different colour, suggesting an S1 might be in their thoughts as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AdrianMF said:

Wow! I'm glad I only spent four quid on a second hand Frog one at SMW Telford now!

I might even be tempted...

Regards,

Adrian

If you hadn't spent the money you wouldn't have anything for the Frog Squad GB :D

20 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

What is slightly intruiging in the CAD is the intakes and jet pipes are a different colour, suggesting an S1 might be in their thoughts as well

At least it will make it easier for the aftermarket guys.

Robert 

Only one real showstopper for me in their 2019 announcement but what a showstopper it is.  Definitely going to have to have a few of these, FAA first, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

This one is an all-new tooling rather than a re-release of the old kit. I don't know enough about the lead-times for producing a new model kit to comment with any authority but they may not have cut the moulds yet far less made the first models from them.

XV361 at the Ulster Aviation Society was LIDAR scanned for this in November 2017 with a follow up visit from the tool designer in Feb last year, he was also working at the Spit MkIVX at the same time . I do not know if initial test castings have arrived yet.

• Like 1

Yes indeed Uncle Dick; I was thinking the same thing this morning!  Next year a Gannet AEW and then a 1/72 deck section for a diorama.  

Of course all of this is building up to the amazing 2021 announcement of the 1/350 Ark Royal IV kit!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Exactly what I thought!

3 hours ago, Robert said:

RN  first then RAF and then a Gulf war version, let's hope so. 

Robert

I'm glad to see the schemes haven't been finalised yet, I'd rather see a colour scheme of the most prolific and longest user of the type - the RAF!  Especially as Captain Pugwash's Flying Circus will get their own version in the S.1!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

At least it will make it easier for the aftermarket guys.

Robert 

Thinking about it some more, it would need to go back as far as the wing root, as the intake is narrower all the way back, and there is a small intake at the root.