1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

15 hours ago, RichG said:

Yes that would seem more sensible; however not sure XX901 actually ever served with No 216 Sqn. In order to participate in the final flypast when all Buccaneer squadrons were represented, it did have that unit’s emblem applied for a few days at the end of its career... in 1994! 

I think more research is required by Xtradecal to confirm what subject they intended.

I think you might be right, not sure they had the last three on the tail then

8 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Another bit of bad research from Xtradecal.

The Buccaneers did not deploy on Op Granby until combat had started. Tasked to go 23rd Jan 1991, first operational sortie 2nd Feb 1991. They also operated from Muharraq, Bahrain. Not Dhahran.

To be fair, when I e-mailed them about the JaBoG31 badge on the other sheet (X72307), they thanked me for my input and said they'd pass it onto the decal designer, whether that will result in changes to the decal sheet artwork remains to be seen.

It's worth sending them an e-mail on [email protected], you never know, they might put it right.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

They have a habit of just saying ‘use kit stencils’ where this is inappropriate (e.g. Jet Provost T3/4) or where they did do a stencil sheet (F4) it was less comprehensive or accurate than the kit one!

Boooooo!! That would be a shame!  The Lightning stencil sheet is the only contemporary stencil sheet release I am familiar with and it is pretty good.  It has RAFG specific stencils for example.  Hopefully they will follow suit here.  

I didn’t realize the Phantom sheet was a let down.  I don’t mind leaving it to the modeller to use kit stencils if they are actually provided in the kit.  Airfix decals are great quality these days.  It is the schemes that may not have stencils provided in the kit that are the concern.  

I would be pleased if they avoided duplicating what is in the kit and filled out the sheet with things like complete sets of letters and numbers in various styles, sizes and colors for last three serials and code letters that appeared throughout the years like the day-glo numbers used during much of the Honington era.  

Edited by wadeocu

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

They have a habit of just saying ‘use kit stencils’ where this is inappropriate (e.g. Jet Provost T3/4) or where they did do a stencil sheet (F4) it was less comprehensive or accurate than the kit one!

I do hope the pick up that the MSG aircraft were actually two tone grey, with a lighter grey underneath

To be fair I think the Phantom FG1 stencils were done to accompany the RAM Early Phantom sheets as the Fujimi British Phantom decals left a lot to be desired till their recent re-boxing with new decent decals. When RAM didn't progress I think Hannants picked up the tab and brought it out before the Airfix kit appeared. At least it has the letters and serials to do the FAA Phantoms which is a damn site better that cutting out the ones of the ex modeldecal code sheets and trying to place them decently. 

On 1/25/2019 at 5:42 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Aha!   I've just looked at the relevant page on the Hannants website.  They have now changed the date to 1980, which seems perfectly accurate. 

As Rich's post suggests, they've made a correction - but have corrected the wrong thing... 

It should be 1994, but I rather suspect that it was Lossiemouth not Honington, for the Buccaneer finale. The aircraft never served with 216, but was painted so that all the squadrons which had used the Bucc were represented; there was also a nod to the RN, with one aircraft being painted in 809 Sqn markings (although ISTR that Tim Laming lamented that an airframe which hadn't served with the FAA was chosen when there were still a couple available which had).

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p783529736/h2694F3#h2694f3  may be useful here - it would seem to be taken at the finale, or from around that time.

I certainly attended an Enthusiasts Day at Lossiemouth to mark the Buccaneer finale. Still got a Squadron print signed by the remaining active aircrew on the man-cave wall.

Edited by Harley John
Added a bit
  • Like 2

I'm rather hoping some decal manufacturer, or perhaps even Airfix themselves, will cover the XV squadron 'MacRobert's Reply' aircraft. Alas I can't recall which serial number that was but sure I've a note of it somewhere...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Alas I can't recall which serial number that was but sure I've a note of it somewhere...

That would be Buccaneer XT287, coded ‘F’, the first aircraft since 1942 to bear the name ‘MacRobert’s Reply’ and was also adorned with the MacRobert family crest. Starting a tradition that apparently continued with every XV Sqn aircraft coded ‘F’ carrying the name and crest.

No XV(R) Squadron, as the Tornado OCU at RAF Lossiemouth, disbanded in March 2017. Not sure sure what the future holds for the XV number plate and the MacRobert's tradition.

MacRobert’s Reply

HTH 

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RichG said:

That would be Buccaneer XT287, coded ‘F’, the first aircraft since 1942 to bear the name ‘MacRobert’s Reply’ and was also adorned with the MacRobert family crest. Starting a tradition that apparently continued with every XV Sqn aircraft coded ‘F’ carrying the name and crest.

No XV(R) Squadron, as the Tornado OCU at RAF Lossiemouth, disbanded in March 2017. Not sure sure what the future holds for the XV number plate and the MacRobert's tradition.

MacRobert’s Reply

HTH 

Rich

Thank you Rich :thumbsup: 

Thankfully 6 Sqn. have taken up the tradition with Typhoon ZJ919 carrying the name "Sir Roderic" which is quite fitting as I'm believe he was flying Hurricanes with that squadron when killed in 1941.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A bit disappointing with the decal options being done by Xtradecal, considering this is the RN S2 kit of the late 60's due in Sept and the RAF S2B is not likely to appear till 2020, doing half the sheets with RAF types seems a bit premature as we don't yet know what's included in the RN boxing as the CGI shows a 60's weapons fit. We certainly don't know what will be in the RAF boxing nor what period they will chose to represent. I would have thought a selection of RN S2s from the 60's and a few early RAF S2A's would be the wiser course then see what the next kit will cover before determining 70's to 90's aircraft and the corresponding fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Thankfully 6 Sqn. have taken up the tradition with Typhoon ZJ919 carrying the name "Sir Roderic" which is quite fitting as I'm believe he was flying Hurricanes with that squadron when killed in 1941.

Ah cool! That definitely seems fitting.

Rich

4 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

doing half the sheets with RAF types seems a bit premature as we don't yet know what's included in the RN boxing as the CGI shows a 60's weapons fit. We certainly don't know what will be in the RAF boxing nor what period they will chose to represent.

You don't know, I don't know, but that doesn't mean that certain selected people in the aftermarket haven't been told under NDA. 

While I, too, would prefer to buy Juan Sheet with just FAA options for the first release, I imagine buying Dos Sheet to cover all options. It's all part of the show folks.

Not much more money, but a lot of joy. I expect 3-4 sheets by the time Juan lapses into memory.

Tony

• Like 3

Please forgive me if this is inappropriate to post here, but I thought that I might point this out as it was news to me today even though apparently the Col.'s superbly timed Group Build has actually been in the planning stage for a couple of years now!

I just signed up so why don't you (you know who you are)!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wadeocu said:

Please forgive me if this is inappropriate to post here, but I thought that I might point this out as it was news to me today even though apparently the Col.'s superbly timed Group Build has actually been in the planning stage for a couple of years now!

I just signed up so why don't you (you know who you are)!

Once the Airfix kit was announced, the timing of this STGB was shifted back to allow entrants to use the new kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Once the Airfix kit was announced, the timing of this STGB was shifted back to allow entrants to use the new kit.

Ah ha - wise decision!  Hopefully the news from Airfix will serve to gin up more interest in the GB. 

I've only completed a handful of builds in the last ten years (children aged 13, 10 and 8 - go figure!) but current events and my fascination with this machine should inspire some creativity on my part!

• Like 1

On 25/01/2019 at 16:02, Wez said:

Xtradecal have announced another Buccaneer decal sheet  X72308 containing the following subjects:

Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 Collection Part.2 (11)
Buccaneer S.2B XX895 208 Sqn RAF Lossiemouth 1993
Buccaneer S.2 XN981 981 208 Sqn RAF Lossiemouth late 1983.
Buccaneer S.2 XT275 235/H 801 NAS Royal Navy HMS Hermes 1970.
Buccaneer S.2 XX901 901 216 Sqn RAF Honington 1994.
Buccaneer S.2 XV344 809 NAS Royal Navy RAF Lossiemouth 1969.
Buccaneer S.2B XX892 I/Glen Lossie based at RAF Lossiemouth but detached to Dhahran
Saudi Arabia during Operation Granby 1990
Buccaneer S.2 XX901 208 Sqn based at RAF Lossiemouth but participated in Red Flag meet Nevada USA 1977
Buccaneer S.2 XV869 869/4 208 Sqn RAF Honington 1981.
Buccaneer S.2 XV333 234 801 NAS Royal Navy RAF Lossiemouth 1967.
Buccaneer S.2B XW986 of Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) RAF Boscombe Down 1974.
Buccaneer S.2 XW529 of Royal Aircraft Establishment RAF Boscombe Down 1980

The artwork is up now - see here...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

The artwork is up now - see here...

Drat - they cheated on the XX901 Red Flag scheme; those last three in the airbrake are supposed to be day-glo. Also interesting that they decided to go with the pre-deployment partial repaint.  There is well known photographic evidence of this "half-way" done scheme but I would imagine it was temporary for just a few sorties at best.  They also missed that the underlying squadron markings were still evident and completely un-obscured on the stbd nose.   Not real sure why the bothered with that scheme as it essentially duplicates the markings utilized for 216 scheme minus the squadron marking (also erroneous as discussed herein above).

The research on these sheets leaves something to be desired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whilst there is a gathering of "Buccaneers " can I ask again if anyone knows the serial number of the 208 aircraft that used the foam carpet at Manston in 1977 (?). The pilot popped the hood before a nice landing without the undercarriage. It may jog a memory when I tel you it was zapped by me and my dad with a white Invicta horse under the port intake.

Keith 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Xtradecal future decals sheets

- ref. X72307 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 Collection Part.1 – 1/72

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72307

• Buccaneer S.2 - XW550/X - 16 Sqn RAF - Laarbruch West Germany 1977
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XV357 612/LM - 803 NAS Royal Navy - RAF Lossiemouth 1972
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XT287 - 237 OCU - RAF Honington 1972
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XT277/H - 809 NAS Royal Navy - HMS Hermes 1960's
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XT270/C - 12 Sqn - RAF Honington 1972
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XV867 655/LM - 736 NAS Royal Navy - RAF Lossiemouth 1970
  • Buccaneer S.2B - XV345 XV1/2 - XV Squadron - RAF Laarbruch West Germany 1979
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XN977/230 - 801 NAS Royal Navy - HMS Victorious 1966
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XT281/281 - Unknown Squadron Royal Air Force 1981
  • Buccaneer S.50 - G-2-1 South African Air Force 1970s

X72307_5.jpg?t=1548102605

- ref. X72308 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 Collection Part.2

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72308

• Buccaneer S.2B - XX895 - 208 Sqn - RAF - Lossiemouth 1993
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XN981 981 - 208 Sqn RAF - Lossiemouth late 1983.
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XT275 235/H - 801 NAS Royal Navy - HMS Hermes 1970.
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XX901 901 - 216 Sqn - RAF Honington 1980.
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XV344 - 809 NAS Royal Navy - RAF Lossiemouth 1969.
  • Buccaneer S.2B - XX892 I/Glen -  RAF Lossiemouth but detached to Dhahran during Operation Granby 1990
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XX901 - 208 Sqn - RAF Lossiemouth in Red Flag meet Nevada USA 1977
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XV869 869/4 - 208 Sqn - RAF Honington 1981
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XV333 234 - - 801 NAS Royal Navy - RAF Lossiemouth 1967
  • Buccaneer S.2B - XW986 - Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) - RAF Boscombe Down 1974
  • Buccaneer S.2 - XW529 - Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE) - RAF Boscombe Down 1980

X72308_1.jpg?t=1549363730

V.P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Source:  https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/buccaneer-test-frames-exclusive-and-latest-tank-news

Buccaneer project progression

b_blackburn_buccaneer_royal_navy_a06021_

Interesting computer rendered 3D image showing the exploded cockpit section of the new 1/72nd scale Blackburn Buccaneer S Mk.2 tooling project

Although the turn of any new year usually signifies both the end of the Christmas holidays and an impending return to work for most of us, we can always comfort ourselves with the reassuring thought that the latest Airfix model range is on the verge of being announced and it may just include the new model tooling we had been hoping for. This year’s range launch included three new projects which had not been announced previously, including one new kit which has been a long-time resident on our ‘most requested list’, the mighty Blackburn Buccaneer S Mk.2, one of the world’s most accomplished low level strike jets. An aircraft which began its development as a Royal Navy response to a massive Soviet naval expansion programme, the Buccaneer would not only equip the Fleet Air Arm with its most devastating offensive strike aircraft at the time of its introduction, but would also later come to the rescue of the Royal Air Force, following the cancellation of TSR-2. Earning a reputation for rugged no nonsense engineering and operational effectiveness, the Buccaneer may have the appearance of a lumbering giant of an aeroplane, but this was far from the case. It was a fast and agile weapons delivery platform and was capable of being flown in a way that few of its contemporaries could match – it is therefore no wonder that our new Buccaneer has proved to be such a popular addition to the Airfix range.

Workbench readers have now become familiar with many of the design and development stages associated with the production of a new model tooling and will no doubt be pleased to view the exclusive series of images we are pleased to bring you with the latest Buccaneer update. These images not only prove that this highly anticipated model is advancing nicely towards its scheduled release date and also gives us a further opportunity to examine the impressive work of our talented product designers and how they immortalise some of the world’s most iconic aircraft, tanks and vehicles into scale plastic representations. The arrival of the first kit test frames from any new tooling project mark an important stage in its development and the physical manifestation of all the research and computer work which has taken place over the preceding few months. Although the team have many years of experience behind them and are expert in converting scan and drawing data into digital files which can be used in the plastic kit industry, the arrival of the first box of test frame components from the manufacturing facility must cause them to be both excited and a little apprehensive at the same time. Experience tells them that invariably, inspecting the components will reveal some necessary tweaks and slight modification requirements to the tooling before it can be released for production, but in the main, their work will have resulted in a collection of parts which build into an impressive scale model. Having said that, they never actually know until the contents of the box are inspected.

The following selection of images are exclusive to Workbench and being shown for the first time anywhere outside the Airfix development office – this is the on-line way of allowing our readers the opportunity to see what emerged from the Buccaneer test frame box – enjoy.

c_blackburn_buccaneer_royal_navy_a06021_

Workbench readers are the first people outside Airfix to see these test frame component images. This first frame includes all the major parts and illustrates how the new kit will come together as a build project

da_blackburn_buccaneer_royal_navy_a06021

This shot is a little busier, as it includes many of the smaller components, including cockpit, pilot/navigator figures and external fittings for the Buccaneer

e_blackburn_buccaneer_royal_navy_a06021_

No review of the test frame components would be complete without a look at the clear frame components

In this next series of images, we have attempted to give our readers a more comprehensive view of the Buccaneer parts, by varying the view angle a little. This is courtesy of our photographer David, who is always looking to produce new and interesting photographs for our readers to inspect. The straight down shots are an important aspect of any test frame review, however, David thought that these angled views provided a more realistic perspective for the modeller and resembled something like what the parts might look like when placed on a modellers workbench.

f_blackburn_buccaneer_royal_navy_a06021_

An alternative view of the large component frame, clearly illustrating how the Buccaneer kit has been designed

g_blackburn_buccaneer_royal_navy_a06021_

Nose, airbrake and engine detail is visible in this shot

h_blackburn_buccaneer_royal_navy_a06021_

This frame must have been a challenge for the project designer – there are an awful lot of individual components on this Buccaneer frame

The arrival of these frames will result in yet another period of hectic Buccaneer activity for the development team, as every aspect of these components will have to be inspected and assessed. Individual part detail and accuracy will be checked, along with less obvious aspects of the design, such as the thickness of the sprue frame itself, where it holds the parts in place – too thin and this may allow the components to break free, too thick and this could cause the modeller problems when attempting to release the parts. A detailed evaluation of the individual frames will then be compiled and following discussions with other members of this experienced team, a schedule of tooling refinements may be produced for the tooling manufacturing plant, who will then need to act on the findings, before sending revised test frames for further inspection.

Having assessed the component frames in their complete state, the next stage of this fascinating process is for the lead designer on the project to actually build the model from the collection of new parts. As committed modellers, most of us would love to be the first person in the world to build a new kit, but for the Airfix design and development team, this honour comes with great responsibility. Just as they did when assessing the component frames themselves, there are many things to check whilst embarking on the first test build of a new model kit, which not only requires almost obsessive attention to detail, but also the ability to analyse every aspect of the build and the kit’s fit and finish. Whilst desperate to ensure that their new model is a detailed and accurate representation of the subject covered, they also need to ensure that the parts go together in a logical and relatively straightforward manner and will not pose too many problems for the average modeller when building. They want people to enjoy building their latest creation and therefore have to spot and rectify any potential problem areas. The next few weeks will be the stage where the Airfix development desk is littered with 1/72nd scale Blackburn Buccaneer kits at various stages of construction, as this important latest phase of the model’s development is negotiated.

Low and fast for Blackburn’s finest

j_blackburn_buccaneer_royal_navy_a06021_

An image which does not feature our new 1/72nd scale Buccaneer, but does highlight the enduring fascination with naval aviation. This 1/48th scale scene was displayed by the Aircraft Diorama Association at last weekend’s Shropshire Model Show at Cosford

The announcement of our new 1/72nd scale Blackburn Buccaneer S Mk.2 at the beginning of the year came as a pleasant surprise for a great many Workbench readers, who were the first to find out about a model which has gone on to enjoy overwhelmingly positive support from the hobby in general. Modellers and enthusiasts appear to have a particular fascination with naval aviation and especially large jets being operated from the decks of Britain’s relatively small aircraft carriers. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to inspect a Buccaneer at close quarters will certainly attest to this being a very large aeroplane indeed and not one you would imagine could be operated from an aircraft carrier with ease. In fact, the Buccaneer was designed with operation at sea as its primary function and was therefore crammed with technology and innovations designed to make this process as stress free as possible. Of course, we also have to acknowledge that naval aircrews were trained to the very highest standards and the environment aboard an aircraft carrier was one of extreme professionalism – everyone knew exactly what was expected of them and they carried out their duties to a very high standard. Because of this and in spite of our preconceptions, airmen who were fortunate enough to fly the Buccaneer at sea described the experience as reasonably stress free and the delights of a catapult launch which would terrify most of us, as being quite exhilarating. The steam catapults on board the latest British carriers at that time were very effective and made for a smooth hands off launch. Once the Buccaneer had been attached to the catapult and cleared for take-off, the pilot would keep his left hand on the throttles, just to ensure they didn’t move from their position and sit back for the ride – there would be nothing else to do until the aircraft had cleared the deck, when he would need to raise undercarriage and flaps and begin his latest sortie. Landing back on the carrier was also described as less stressful than most might think, with the stable Buccaneer benefitting from an extremely robust undercarriage, should the final descent prove a little more enthusiastic than intended.

The first Royal Navy Buccaneer S.1s were powered by a pair of De Havilland Gyron Junior engines and have been described as not providing this large aeroplane with quite enough power. They did, however, allow the Buccaneer to show its impressive credentials as arguably the world’s most capable low-level shipborne strike jet and stimulate further development of this impressive aircraft. These engines actually had a better input to power response time than the later Spey engines, although the loss of an engine in flight would result in a shore based landing wherever possible, as opposed to attempting to land back on its home carrier. The introduction of the S.2 saw the aircraft equipped with the much more powerful Rolls Royce Spey engines and a further upgrade of its already impressive strike capabilities. Possessing greater thrust and increased range, the Buccaneer S.2 was a capable fighting aircraft and one which must have struck fear into the hearts of Soviet naval captains. With its increased power, the S.2 was more than capable of landing back on a carrier with one engine shut down, possessing enough thrust to safely go around again, should the aircraft fail to catch the arrestor hook.

k_blackburn_buccaneer_royal_navy_a06021_

Looking forward. This rear-end computer rendered 3D image from the new 1/72nd scale Buccaneer project helps illustrate why this new kit is proving to be such a popular addition to the range

Despite its naval heritage, the Buccaneer would also go on to become a popular addition to post war Royal Air Force inventory, even though the aircraft was not exactly their first choice for the strike role. The robust design and exceptional low level performance of the aircraft nevertheless made the Buccaneer something of an RAF favourite and a capable Cold War strike jet, with its nimble performance belying its rather large appearance. When the RAF were invited to take part in US ‘Red Flag’ exercises, overseas aircrews initially scoffed at the sight of these RAF beasts parked on the same ramp as their cutting edge Eagles and Fighting Falcons, but mission debrief meetings proved to be quite an eye-opener. Flying at around 540 kts and just feet above the desert floor, the Buccaneers simply could not be detected by defending forces during the exercises and even though they knew they were there, the Buccaneers stayed so close to the ground that missile attacks could not be launched against them by air or from the ground. The combination of RAF pilot training and the Buccaneer’s aviation credentials earned the admiration of their American counterparts, leading many to describe the Buccaneer as the finest low-level strike aircraft ever built.

With aviation heritage such as this, it is no wonder that our new Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 kit has proved such a popular future addition to the range and we look forward to bringing you the next chapter of its development in a forthcoming edition of our blog. This will include pictures of test build sections of the kit, a completed model build and a closer look at the scheme options which will accompany the September release of this beautiful new kit. Until then, for anyone yet to reserve their example of what is already proving to be an incredibly popular kit, your usual model supplier or the Airfix website will ensure you don’t miss out.

V.P.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting the latest.

Looks good, with clear optional span wingtips and provisions for a folded wing (presumably the lower wing/fuselage part has indented "cut here" inside grooves to help separate the lower outer wings).

Definitely getting one of these regardless of what Tanmodel get up to.

Tony 

48 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Definitely getting one of these regardless of what Tanmodel get up to.

44 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Just the one?   :) 

Some people have no imagination :fraidnot:

I want six, or is it seven, no maybe eight!  Or more....:whistle: