1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

On 1/15/2019 at 11:43 AM, Work In Progress said:

would welcome any thoughts on these Kits World sheets

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW72140

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW72137

I don't have these sheets in my collection so I can't comment on quality.  Accuracy wise it seems to be pretty good.  Several one off and non-standard examples are on these sheets.  I know the yellow lines for the stencils were a concern because I don't think they have the little red dashes that go along with them.  I also seem to recall that the SAAF insignia were criticized because they are not a metallic gold as they are supposed to be, but I am uncertain about both whether or not they are in fact metallic gold (pretty sure it is) and if it is in fact not so on the sheet (referencing very hazy memory here).  On the upside, these sheets are the only game in town for the stencil markings specific to the late medium sea/barley grey schemes. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wadeocu said:

I don't have these sheets in my collection so I can't comment on quality.  Accuracy wise it seems to be pretty good.  Several one off and non-standard examples are on these sheets.  I know the yellow lines for the stencils were a concern because I don't think they have the little red dashes that go along with them.  I also seem to recall that the SAAF insignia were criticized because they are not a metallic gold as they are supposed to be, but I am uncertain about both whether or not they are in fact metallic gold (pretty sure it is) and if it is in fact not so on the sheet (referencing very hazy memory here). 

I have the second sheet with the SAAF markings.  The gold is not metallic.  But...  does it need to be in this scale?  I think those insignia will look pretty good when applied.  I certainly intend to use them.

I haven't actually used any markings from the sheet but I have used other Kits world sheets.  the quality is first rate. 

37 minutes ago, XV107 said:

Now, now. Play nicely with the WAFUs....

Never, shan't, worst det I ever did was on  carrier, give me field dets any day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 15/01/2019 at 12:39, Geoff_B said:

I wonder if Hannant's will reissue their Xtradecal sheet or will they replace it with an updated sheet(s) as it would be nice to have the options for 800 squadron with their black bordered white Squadron codes and will we get matching stencils if the Aftermarket ones end up a different shade to the kits Pale Blue markings. 

Now whilst I'm chuffed to bits with Airfix doing a new RN Buccaneer S2 and its due in Sept 19 (so hopefully out before SMW and not early the following year as per both Phantoms) its also a bit frustrating as now have to wait till then for the kit to come out as really need to focus on other builds to tide us over till the Buccaneer appears !!!!🤨

Maybe we'll find out soon, there's a placeholder in the Big H's new future releases section.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wadeocu said:

I am dumbfounded by the latest update so I will just join in behind everyone else running about in circles flapping arms!

:frantic::frantic::frantic:

11 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

All I know is that I want mine now!!!!      :bounce:  :frantic:

I too am impressed by the latest update and want mine NOW!  RIGHT NOW!!

11 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I hear ya! I suspect the wait will be excruciating!

It will be, most definitely, still it gives me plenty of time to root around in the spares box to see if I can find a bulged bomb bay off of the Matchbox kit :hmmm:

It looks like a real beauty looking at the CAD images. Excellent work Airfix.

I've only just noticed now, looking at photos of the real thing in books and the Airfix CADs (I'm hoping that Buccaneer experts on here will know more about this).

Am I right in seeing two different types of underwing fuel tank fairings in photos of the real thing?

Airfix look to show here the fairing which joins the wing very slightly back and lower of the leading edge and slightly curved at that point (examples in photos on pages 10 and 14 of the Fox 2 'Essential Aircraft References for Modellers #1 Blackburn Buccaneer), whereas another fairing type blends right onto the leading edge in a straight line (examples on pages 12 and 13 of the same book). 

Just wanted to make sure I'm not seeing things. I'm guessing it might have been modded at some stage?

Airfix are probably aware of it and may well have it covered already.

20 minutes ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Am I right in seeing two different types of underwing fuel tank fairings in photos of the real thing?

Airfix look to show here the fairing which joins the wing very slightly back and lower of the leading edge and slightly curved at that point (examples in photos on pages 10 and 14 of the Fox 2 'Essential Aircraft References for Modellers #1 Blackburn Buccaneer), whereas another fairing type blends right onto the leading edge in a straight line (examples on pages 12 and 13 of the same book). 

Just wanted to make sure I'm not seeing things. I'm guessing it might have been modded at some stage?

Airfix are probably aware of it and may well have it covered already.

Yes, that's what I was alluding to in post #150, the tanks initial fairing caused an issue at take-off whereby in combination with certain underwing stores layout, the change in the centre of drag caused the aircraft to pitch up and stall.  This was discovered after two aircraft losses around 1966 and so a new fairing was devised and introduced. 

Whether there was another version again (apart from the large SAAF only type) I really don't know.

I'm still not quite sure about the Airfix comment about the slipper tanks being Navy only, maybe they are referring to the initial version only

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Wez said:

Never, shan't, worst det I ever did was on  carrier, give me field dets any day!

Too right. Mind you I was a glutton for punishment as I did 2 dets on those floating things.

• Sad 1

On 15/01/2019 at 12:39, Geoff_B said:

I wonder if Hannant's will reissue their Xtradecal sheet or will they replace it with an updated sheet(s) as it would be nice to have the options for 800 squadron with their black bordered white Squadron codes and will we get matching stencils if the Aftermarket ones end up a different shade to the kits Pale Blue markings. 

How does this little selection suit you?

Proposed subjects for the forthcoming Xtradecal sheet:

Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 Collection Part.1 (10)
Buccaneer S.2 XV550/X 16 Sqn RAF Laarbruch West Germany 1977.
Buccaneer S.2 XV357 612/LM 803 NAS Royal Navy RAF Lossiemouth 1971.
Buccaneer S.2 XT287 237 OCU RAF Honington 1972.
Buccaneer S.2 XT277/H 809 NAS Royal Navy HMS Hermes 1960's.
Buccaneer S.2 XT270/C 12 Sqn RAF Honington 1972.
Buccaneer S.2 XV867 655/LM 736 NAS Royal Navy RAF Lossiemouth 1970.
Buccaneer S.2B XV345 XV1/2 XV Squadron RAF Laarbruch West Germany 1979.
Buccaneer S.2 XN977/230 801 NAS Royal Navy HMS Victorious 1966.
Buccaneer S.2 XT281/281 Unknown Squadron Royal Air Force 1981.
Buccaneer S.50 G-2-1 South African Air Force 1970s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

Would be great to see decals for the very shot lived 216 Squadron Buccaneers, not sure if any have been issued before?

Agreed James, for completeness they need to be done and the markings would only take a up a small space on a sheet.

Like you, I don't recall ever seeing 216 Sqn offered as an option anywhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Yes, that's what I was alluding to in post #150, the tanks initial fairing caused an issue at take-off whereby in combination with certain underwing stores layout, the change in the centre of drag caused the aircraft to pitch up and stall.  This was discovered after two aircraft losses around 1966 and so a new fairing was devised and introduced. 

Whether there was another version again (apart from the large SAAF only type) I really don't know.

I'm still not quite sure about the Airfix comment about the slipper tanks being Navy only, maybe they are referring to the initial version only

Sorry James, I missed your comment before. I knew someone on here would know. All good interesting stuff that I didn't know before. Thanks very much for sharing. Cheers Bob.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Would be great to see decals for the very shot lived 216 Squadron Buccaneers, not sure if any have been issued before?

They were available on an old Xtradecal sheet, X72-007, which is as rare as rocking horse doo-doo. They are also currently available from Kitsworld in 1/72 on sheet KW172137.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

The thing never wore 'roo roundels (officially, anyway) so the kit doesn't even get my boat to the top of the launching ramp. XV107's post above looks like a good way of dealing with the problem ...

A 1:48 Chippie, John W? NOW you're talking!

11 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

The thing never wore 'roo roundels (officially, anyway) so the kit doesn't even get my boat to the top of the launching ramp. XV107's post above looks like a good way of dealing with the problem ...

A 1:48 Chippie, John W? NOW you're talking!

Yet here you are in the thread about it, which means we've caught your attention, so there's a chance we'll convert you yet ;) Of course, I'm sure you've some spare 'roo roundels in your decals stash, and there's always What-if modelling...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Col. said:

Yet here you are in the thread about it, which means we've caught your attention, so there's a chance we'll convert you yet ;) Of course, I'm sure you've some spare 'roo roundels in your decals stash, and there's always What-if modelling...

After all the RAF got the Buccaneers because they didn't get the F-111's that they were going to get because they didn't get the TSR-2 (are you following this).

Now just imagine the RAAF didn't get their F-111's and ended up getting the Bucc' instead.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Sorry, it was John's comment about the 1:48 Chippie that got me involved ...

And Wez, a common comment down here at the time we pensioned off the Pigs was that we got them and showed the Yanks how to use them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2019 at 2:38 PM, Wez said:

How does this little selection suit you?

Proposed subjects for the forthcoming Xtradecal sheet:

Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 Collection Part.1 (10)
Buccaneer S.2 XV550/X 16 Sqn RAF Laarbruch West Germany 1977.
Buccaneer S.2 XV357 612/LM 803 NAS Royal Navy RAF Lossiemouth 1971.
Buccaneer S.2 XT287 237 OCU RAF Honington 1972.
Buccaneer S.2 XT277/H 809 NAS Royal Navy HMS Hermes 1960's.
Buccaneer S.2 XT270/C 12 Sqn RAF Honington 1972.
Buccaneer S.2 XV867 655/LM 736 NAS Royal Navy RAF Lossiemouth 1970.
Buccaneer S.2B XV345 XV1/2 XV Squadron RAF Laarbruch West Germany 1979.
Buccaneer S.2 XN977/230 801 NAS Royal Navy HMS Victorious 1966.
Buccaneer S.2 XT281/281 Unknown Squadron Royal Air Force 1981.
Buccaneer S.50 G-2-1 South African Air Force 1970s.

Standing by to be corrected (haven’t got my log book to hand) but iirc XT281 was on the strength of 237 OCU at Honington in 1981.