1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

22 minutes ago, wadeocu said:

Yes indeed Uncle Dick; I was thinking the same thing this morning!  Next year a Gannet AEW and then a 1/72 deck section for a diorama.  

Of course all of this is building up to the amazing 2021 announcement of the 1/350 Ark Royal IV kit!

I was hoping it would be in 1/72!  Then I can line up my Buccaneers and Phantoms on it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wez said:

I'm glad to see the schemes haven't been finalised yet, I'd rather see a colour scheme of the most prolific and longest user of the type - the RAF!  Especially as Captain Pugwash's Flying Circus will get their own version in the S.1!

Me too. However as the kit is listed as an "S Mk.2 RN"...  so whilst the markings have yet to be finalised it looks like it will be something FAA.  Aaaarrrrh! :pirate:

20 minutes ago, wadeocu said:

Never having felt the need before to have a new tool kit in the hands ASAP, I have to ask: 

What is the absolute fastest way to have some shipped to the states upon release - Ebay?

In my experience, yes. Airfix's overseas shipping is practically extortionate. That said, sometimes Spruebrothers get in an early shipment of new Airfix kits around the UK release time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, wadeocu said:

Never having felt the need before to have a new tool kit in the hands ASAP, I have to ask: 

What is the absolute fastest way to have some shipped to the states upon release - Ebay?

sign up with Airfix for a pre-order with delivery to a friend in the UK then overnight DHL/whoever to you. Or even with a UK online retailer and specify courier delivery to you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Well Airfix is slowly releasing the Ark Royal air wing, we have Seaking (albeit no Navy boxing), Phantom and now Buc!

So Wessex multiple variants, Gannet AEW/Cod and a cross deck Wasp to go...☠️☠️👻

Having watched all of the work @Massimo has done on his Buccaneer don't tell him about this one :)

• Like 1

I've been scouring evilbay to find older Airfix boxings and have enough for the Bucc STGB.   Fingers crossed that this one arrives in time though.   Sadly, I think the timescale is too close.  Airfix kits always seem to be delayed a few months. :pray:

On the other hand it looks like the FROG Bucc in The Stash will now get built in the FROG squad GB.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

By the way what are the differences between the RN and RAF versions? 

Jay

Not a lot if you model an earlier RAF service Buccaneer.

The RAF examples didn't always feature the bulged external bomb bay tank which wasn't fitted at all to Navy Buccaneers.

The arrester hook was longer on RAF Buccaneers, the Navy ones end just ahead of the hold back bay, where as the RAF ones extend into that bay.  The Navy also didn't have the nose leg mounted landing light.

Other changes on Buccaneers were down to the evolution of the aircraft, such as the wideband homer aerials (wing pods) subtle shape changes, the addition of RWR fairings, the removal and reinstatement of vortex generators etc.

I would be happy to build an RAF example from this boxing, highly recommended to use photo references for the actual jet that you build.

I think Airfix have just gone with the initial release being Navy jets, to be followed up by an RAF one, like they have done with the Phantom.

• Thanks 1

As it was the Buccaneer from the Ulster Aviation Society which is a RAF one, which was scanned, surprised if was not done first. Let's hope they do not put RAF bits on a RN aircraft.

Robert

So this and the MiG-17 seem to be the news items in 1:72. MiG-17 is not for me, but I will probably go for a new-tool Bucc. So they'll get some $ out of me this year, eventually. I think it is interesting that both these two aircraft have been high on request lists for a while now. What a concept! Now if only they had heard all the noise about a 1:72 Battle...

Edited by Kevin Callahan

I dunno about this.  I mean, just look at the tread pattern on the nose wheel tire!  That is most definitely and assuredly incorrect for this model of the Buccaneer!  How could Airfix get that so wrong!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

On that note I as half expecting a 1/350 QE Class this year.

More likely to be 2021 when the carriers are fully equipped and carrying F-35s, possibly as late as 2023 when Carrier Strike is officially ready for duty. QNLZ is currently being fitted with her Armament and PWLS is fitting out for sea trials this year and due in Pompey by years end. QNLZ dues for 2nd round of Aircraft trials in the US this year and next year is scheduled for an exercise off Scotland with UK and USMC squadrons onboard which is probably what they will be waiting for to gauge what the ship looks like closer to her full on carrier role.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert said:

As it was the Buccaneer from the Ulster Aviation Society which is a RAF one, which was scanned, surprised if was not done first. Let's hope they do not put RAF bits on a RN aircraft.

Robert

Pretty sure they will have studied the aircraft at Yeovilton too and the researchers will guide the designers as to what's the correct fit for the relevant types 

Well i'm chuffed and i know I will be getting a few and building a few in the last QTR of the year. It looks like we don't get the folding nose cone option so that's one for the aftermarket boys.

Hopefully we will see a new FAA Buccaneer marking sheets produced for this kit, but I do hope we can get some consistency in the pale blue used for the markings and stencils as they do vary in existing kits and sheets (The CMR ones varied from boxing to boxing which was a real pain).

• Like 1

If the CAD images are indicative of how the actual model will look, then they've made at least two improvements over their previous 48th scale kit, namely the nice touch of the offset seats (wonder if the canopy will have similar MDC alignment?) and nice to see a curved bottom edge to the canopy. Nice one Airfix. 

1 hour ago, Geoff_B said:

Pretty sure they will have studied the aircraft at Yeovilton too and the researchers will guide the designers as to what's the correct fit for the relevant types 

XV361 at the UAS had been a navy airframe , serving on Eagle and Ark Royal before going to the RAF in 1979, Airfix are well aware of this and the difference between the different fittings, when they did the scan and follow up visit they had copies of the original APs etc with them them to compare the different fits.

How do I know this? I organized the visits , provided transport, assisted with moving and removing covers etc I have no doubt that the model will be accurate.

Edited by sniperUK
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 7

9 hours ago, Robert said:

Unfortunately most surviving Buccaneer S.2s left service with the RAF, even the Fleet Air Arm Museum Yeovilton example has the glaring RAFism of the bulged bomb bay and the landing light fitted. 

The nearest to a Navy configured example is the gorgeous XN974 at Elvington which was a RN and trails machine for its service life, and the development S.2 on the gate at Honington.

Other changes between aircraft specs, ie not between RN and RAF Buccs, was the Martel missile fit, pylons shape/positions, and rear cockpit equipment of S.2Bs (RAF) and Ds (RN).

Edited by 71chally

Dear Mr Airfix - I'm very cross at this latest release. Having spent considerable time and effort updating and correcting the previous Buccaneer, with much scratch building and home made decals, you do this to me, forcing me to immediately rush out, spend more cash, and consign the previous effort to some dusty shelf.

Please don't do it again with my Wessex ( for at least 6 months.... )

28pT6xs.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Happy happy happy....

As the Airfix  F-4K could be configured for cat launch and storage so it's only fair that the nose-cone, flaps, aileron, tailplane and its flap and the airbrakes should be poseable. if only so I can get more of them on the shelf.

There was an article in the Airfix magazine about a 1/72 section of Ark Royal (IV) flight deck complete with blast deflector as well so.