1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

31 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Given the other shape issues with the old kit, it really is a case of sell it on and put your money towards a new kit.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I presume you're referring to the nose radome area and the vertical stabilizer? Or, are there more shape issues?

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Or convert it into a Blackburn P150.  :fool:

Better with a P157 from an Airfix Bucc, the P150 lost the are rue rule bulge so that's probably easier to do with the Matchbox kit 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Just a heads up that the two new Print Scale Royal Navy Buccaneer sheets for the S2 and S1 72401 & 72402 have been released they have had an epic fail i their production.

Whilst the artwork on the instructions and the website illustrate the distinctive Pale Blue titles and codes on the actual decals they have come out as  what appears to be more a medium sea grey than a pale blue rendering those schemes pretty well useless, a shame as they are nicely printed with some interesting options.

Buyer beware !!!!

Just a follow up, I obviously reported this back to Hannants and they have had a look and have complained back to Print Scale to see about a corrected reprint or a refund. So if you have already ordered these sheets from Hannants please let them know

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Just a heads up that the two new Print Scale Royal Navy Buccaneer sheets for the S2 and S1 72401 & 72402 have been released they have had an epic fail i their production.

Whilst the artwork on the instructions and the website illustrate the distinctive Pale Blue titles and codes on the actual decals they have come out as  what appears to be more a medium sea grey than a pale blue rendering those schemes pretty well useless, a shame as they are nicely printed with some interesting options.

With regard to the S.1 schemes on sheet 72402.  Two of them are available on Model Art sheet MAD004.  There is also an all-white jet on that sheet, but slightly different from the Print Scale choice.

I bought PSL 72402 for the 800 NAS experimental scheme, which seems to have no problems.

I think that Print Scale have had some major production issues with this sheet.  Originally only two normal roundels were included but my sheet has an addendum sheet with an additional four.

11 hours ago, Shalako said:

Thanks for your reply. I presume you're referring to the nose radome area and the vertical stabilizer? Or, are there more shape issues?

Bill,

Those are the main two. The intakes aren't quite right when viewed from head on, being a little too 'straight' at the sides for want of a better description. The bullet fairings on the tailplane are also too fat for an S1/S2/S2A/S2C and the wrong length and shape for an S2B/S2D.

Mark.

8 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Bill,

Those are the main two. The intakes aren't quite right when viewed from head on, being a little too 'straight' at the sides for want of a better description. The bullet fairings on the tailplane are also too fat for an S1/S2/S2A/S2C and the wrong length and shape for an S2B/S2D.

Mark.

Hey Mark,

Good points mate. For the intakes there is always the Neomega set. Now, about the tailplane bullet fairings I think it's fairly easy to correct them.

I have the old mould - the last box - that gives decals for a South African 'Buc' and I want to finish it with these markings. The cockpit is not that of a big issue because at the end you can close the canopy and not much will be visible. But, the other areas are obvious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shalako said:

I have the old mould - the last box - that gives decals for a South African 'Buc' and I want to finish it with these markings.

The SAAF Buccs aren't in my area of interest or knowledge, but is there any merit in using the specific parts and decals in that kit on the new tool one? Knowing how much work and/or replacement parts/details are required to bring the older kit up to speed, might be something to consider? Unless you've already invested in the necessary resin etc. it might be the more cost effective option to pursue a more accurate and better detailed model. Since I'd already sunk my cash into various bits of resin and white metal over the years, my 3 old tool kits are slowly being worked on in between other projects.

Another area that is 'off' shape wise with the older kit is the canopy, doesn't have enough depth over the pilot's cockpit with a too shallow angled windscreen as a result. I've got two Aeroclub replacements, but they are OOP now. There is one in a Clear Vax canopy set for FAA aircraft, but unless you intend to use the others in that set it is a pricey way to get a replacement.

Mark.

You will need the larger long range tanks ,they had rocket assisted drop down packs behind the bomb Bay & larger droppler radar on abox replacing the original. 

4 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Another area that is 'off' shape wise with the older kit is the canopy,

#@$%&!:jump_fire:

And just when you think that life can be easier...!

You have mentioned the SAAF decals Mark, from the old kit. Well, I think that they can be applied to the new Buccaneer, after all it's almost the same airframe we are dealing with.

Cheers

Bill

56 minutes ago, Shalako said:

You have mentioned the SAAF decals Mark, from the old kit. Well, I think that they can be applied to the new Buccaneer, after all it's almost the same airframe we are dealing with.

That's exactly what I'm doing with my current build.

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

they had rocket assisted drop down packs behind the bomb Bay & larger droppler radar on abox replacing the original. 

The rocket packs are easily reproduced in the closed position by scribing and drilling a hole in the ensuing panel.

The larger Doppler box came later in its life  so is not essential.

Remember if you are doing an early one that they didn't have the fairing at the intakes or the reinforcing panels on the air brakes and the aerials on the spine were different from British ones.

When flying from Lossiemouth in 1965 they rarely had the tanks  fitted. Photos of them with the tanks were either just before they left or the much published ones of them on leaving day. I never saw them with the refuelling probes either.

Four distinct colour schemes too throughout their life (except 417 which was lost on delivery)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/07/2020 at 08:28, Geoff_B said:

Buyer beware !!!!

Just to follow up on this, I tried applying the serial from the Print Scale sheet.   Turns out that they are an azure blue shade which is considerably darker than the shade in the Model Art decal sheet but they are not nearly as bad as I originally thought.    These markings may look acceptable on an overall grey S2.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Just had a look on the Airfix site for some extra info or box art on the forthcoming S.2B release due "autumn 2020" - alas nothing. Wouldn't more specifics be known by now?

Jay

There was an official update from airfix posted recently that I can’t find, I think it said December for the Bucc 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The latest (November) Airfix magazine has pics of the new sprue for the S.2B. It says release Autumn 2020.

Ta, haven't seen it yet. Was there an ECM pod on the sprue if at all visible? Cheers

Jay

3 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Ta, haven't seen it yet. Was there an ECM pod on the sprue if at all visible? Cheers

Jay

Yes, along with 2 x 1000lb Paveway II , 1 x AIM-9L/M , Pave Spike and new external tanks. There is also the bulged bomb bay and new airbrake parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Yes, along with 2 x 1000lb Paveway II , 1 x AIM-9L/M , Pave Spike and new external tanks. There is also the bulged bomb bay and new airbrake parts.

Isn't this the sprue they had added to the old kit, along with the addition of the South African AF decals?

In the magazine it states that one (XV361) is in wrap around camo form 208 Sqn and the other (XX885) is in Grey camo from 12 Sqn. There are no mention of Op Granby markings, but all the elements on the sprues are there for one of these aircraft, just require other markings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Any indication of what the decals might represent?  Possibly a Granby option, but I'm really hoping for a classic grey/grey option as that means we will get the walkway markings as well.  

These (208 fin markings missing though...)

On 1/6/2020 at 4:25 PM, Homebee said:

New boxing/variant announced for Autumn 2020 - ref. A06022 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2B RAF

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2020/blackburn-buccaneer-s-mk-2-raf.html

A06022-blackburn-buccaneer-s-mk2-raf-sch

V.P.

Jay