1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

I think Allan might have nailed this- the lack of ordnance may well be a clue to a future Royal Navy Resupply Set maybe with deck tractor and baseplate? It would work with the Phantom and Bucc and maybe SHAR with a mixed bundle of RN whizzbangs....

TT

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I think Allan might have nailed this- the lack of ordnance may well be a clue to a future Royal Navy Resupply Set maybe with deck tractor and baseplate? It would work with the Phantom and Bucc and maybe SHAR with a mixed bundle of RN whizzbangs....

TT

Now that would be nice. Along with a new and better SHAR of course.

20 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

TT

From a personal point of view and, while not necessarily deciding to purchase same, I would prefer a stores only RN/RAF set with no vehicles etc.  Vehicles would (for me anyway)  just be a waste of plastic and end up in my bin. The stores of course would be able to be used on several models. A  separate kit of  RN/RAF specific ancillary vehicles/ground handling equipment would, I think prove popular with those interested in such things.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 2:20 PM, Col. said:

Now that would be nice. Along with a new and better SHAR of course.

I built the current (2010 tooling) Airfix Sea Harrier FA.2 a few years ago, and really liked it. Anything in particular wrong with it?

3 hours ago, Hobbes said:

I built the current (2010 tooling) Airfix Sea Harrier FA.2 a few years ago, and really liked it. Anything in particular wrong with it?

I think that the nose radome was a bit off, but I'm not a pro concerning the SHARs.

Hoops

4 hours ago, Hobbes said:

24 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I think that the nose radome was a bit off, but I'm not a pro concerning the SHARs.

Hoops

The whole model was a bit 'flat'. Worst part to suffer is the canopy due to being the hardest to correct but that theme continues across the gunpods and ventral strake in particular. As a kit to build it's a good one but just don't park it next to any other Harrier kits.

12 hours ago, Homebee said:

New boxing/variant announced for 2020 - ref. A? - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2B RAF

As with others this is the boxing I've looking forward to most.

As to schemes and decals, what does BM think most likely? Airfix usually give two options. A Gulf War/ Op. Granby sand-pink version is probably a given right? The other is anyone's guess. Personally I'm hoping for a standard wraparound Dark Sea Grey/ Dark Green scheme - however an early glossy DSG/DG with Light grey undersides would historically cap the Bucc's career in RAF service and therefore be more likely?

Jay

3 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

As to schemes and decals, what does BM think most likely? Airfix usually give two options. A Gulf War/ Op. Granby sand-pink version is probably a given right? The other is anyone's guess. Personally I'm hoping for a standard wraparound Dark Sea Grey/ Dark Green scheme - however an early glossy DSG/DG with Light grey undersides would historically cap the Bucc's career in RAF service and therefore be more likely?

Jay

I could tell you one but then I would have to kill you :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

I could tell you one but then I would have to kill you :)

In other words as per the Ulster Museum Buccaneer which is virtually as is when it left service.

To be honest I wonder if they may go with a Grey Buccaneer and Leave the Gulf War for another boxing, a lot depends on what the weapon load is to go on the RAF sprue with the Bulged Bomb bay door. RWR and the universal pylons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

In other words as per the Ulster Museum Buccaneer which is virtually as is when it left service.

To be honest I wonder if they may go with a Grey Buccaneer and Leave the Gulf War for another boxing, a lot depends on what the weapon load is to go on the RAF sprue with the Bulged Bomb bay door. RWR and the universal pylons.

That’s a good should would tie in with the Gulf War anniversary in 2021

TT

11 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Jay

Hopefully  Xtradecal or other such after market company will no doubt produce a full set of options such ad they did with the Lightning

11 hours ago, cherisy said:

Hopefully  Xtradecal or other such after market company will no doubt produce a full set of options such ad they did with the Lightning

They already have as Rick said.

But it'd be nice to save a little and use kit decals for a change as Airfix's are usually quite good.

Jay

• Like 2

"Livery artwork subject to change" it said in the image.

I wonder what that means.

On 1/4/2020 at 1:48 PM, Geoff_B said:

You win the prize 🏆!

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
made a mistake
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

It means the illustrations are just catalogue roughs and the final selected schemes may change (Like the Hunter last year). Same applies to any of the kits

4 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

You win the prize 🏆!

Jay

Educated guess, going that we know they would kit the Aircraft they scanned as a last in service Bucc in the Grey & Green Camo, then to minimise the included weapons load they woud likely go for the Grey Scheme as the same fit and period.

Now that does make it look likely that 2021 we will see the Gulf War boxing as 30 yrs old now  (eek !!!!).

The bad news is I cant see them doing a new sprue with Martel or Sea Eagle to do the S2D/S2B anti-shipping aircraft so cant see another boxing for those unfortunately 

• Like 1

I'm in, as a kid I watched the BBC's Test Pilot endlessly (Mum recorded the series when it was broadcast in NZ) and the Buccaneers featured made a big impact on me. Very happy memories of going on a roadtrip and Mum had bought me one of the 1990s boxings to keep me quiet! XV361 for me 😍

• Like 1