1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

Images are up on the Buccaneer Sheet now and I have dropped my pre-order from 2 to 1 as its got a crab infestation and the what FAA options selected are a bit limited, would have preferred to see them to re-create their original sheets. 😒

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8 January 2019 at 5:52 PM, JohnT said:

Perhaps

wouldn't it be nice if they did re-think it and conclude that upscaling to 1/32 their Bucc would look rather nice to their planned 1/32 F-111

Just saying if Tanmodel are reading

Looking fwd to its 1/32 Sea Flanker which I believe precedes the 1/48 Buccaneer. And it that sells well a 1/32 Bucc might get the go-ahead. Would go nicely with the Hong Kong Models 1/32 F-4K.

For now, I'm content with the diddy versions of all three types. Just hope that Airfix do some seated aircrew; the F-4K poised for launch with an empty cockpit looks, er, a bit ghostly — Phantom jet, not phantom aircrew.

Would be interested in an S.1 conversion and the recce pallet.

Tony 

• Like 3

On 20/01/2019 at 22:49, 457 said:

Standing by to be corrected (haven’t got my log book to hand) but iirc XT281 was on the strength of 237 OCU at Honington in 1981.  

You're probably right.

The sheet images are up on line now - see here

The badge on XT281's intake is, if I'm not very much mistaken, is a zap from JaBoG 31 Boelcke of the Bundes Luftwaffe probably picked up on an exchange/det/exercise.

I'll e-mail the Big H to let them know.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

Images are up on the Buccaneer Sheet now and I have dropped my pre-order from 2 to 1 as its got a crab infestation and the what FAA options selected are a bit limited, would have preferred to see them to re-create their original sheets. 😒

:tease:

🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦐🦑🦀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 20/01/2019 at 22:49, 457 said:

Standing by to be corrected (haven’t got my log book to hand) but iirc XT281 was on the strength of 237 OCU at Honington in 1981.  

According to my records XT281 was built as an S.2, first flew on 18 Oct 1965 and was delivered to the FAA on 11 Dec 65.  I don't have any records of its FAA service. It was converted to an S.2B in early 1973 and transferred to the RAF.  It was on the strength of 12 Sqn from December 1973. It was initially uncoded but later received the code ET.  In early 1980 it was at a Maple Flag exercise in Cold Lake with 12 Sqn when it was grounded due to wing spar cracks.  At this point my records become confusing.  What is certain is that it was transferred by road and sea to Lossiemouth, arriving on 17 Oct 1980.  The confusing bit is that my records claim the vessel used was HMAV Ardennes, a Mark 8 LCT. However, Wikipedia claims that this vessel was sold to Singapore in 1970. 

It may well have been repaired but eventually (by Jan 1987 at the latest) it became a maintenance aircraft at Lossie with the serial 8705M.  It was broken up sometime in 1992 and eventually ended up at Williamson's scrapyard in Elgin.

The aircraft shown in SAAF markings in the 1970s is actually the first aircraft for the SAAF.  The serial G-2-1 is actually a manufacturers registration used while the SAAF crews were converting to the type at RNAS Lossiemouth in 1965.  Once it had been delivered to 24 Sqn at Waterkloof, this aircraft wore the serial 411. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

.  The confusing bit is that my records claim the vessel used was HMAV Ardennes, a Mark 8 LCT. However, Wikipedia claims that this vessel was sold to Singapore in 1970. 

The name was recycled to one of the Army’s LCLs

http://www.navypedia.org/ships/uk/brit_aws_ardennes.htm

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

The aircraft shown in SAAF markings in the 1970s is actually the first aircraft for the SAAF.  The serial G-2-1 is actually a manufacturers registration used while the SAAF crews were converting to the type at RNAS Lossiemouth in 1965.  Once it had been delivered to 24 Sqn at Waterkloof, this aircraft wore the serial 411. 

Which means there's three Lossie-based options on the sheet. :speak_cool:

On 1/22/2019 at 5:19 PM, Wez said:

The badge on XT281's intake is, if I'm not very much mistaken, is a zap from JaBoG 31 Boelcke of the Bundes Luftwaffe probably picked up on an exchange/det/exercise.

It is, it also had the wing from XV37? (I note Xtradecal have that). The profile seems based on a pic that appears in APC, dated 1981. I wonder if it was already a ground instruction airframe by that point?

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p783529736/h651D0868#h651d0868

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

It is, it also had the wing from XV37? (I note Xtradecal have that). The profile seems based on a pic that appears in APC, dated 1981. I wonder if it was already a ground instruction airframe by that point?

I think you are right; orange stripes and black x marks over ejection seat warning triangles also make me think this machine was out of squadron service at this point.

9 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

A thing to watch with this s that the underwing serial numbers cross the wing fold so only the XV37? part of the serial that was painted on the replacement port outer wing would be present, not the full serial number.  The remainder would be whatever is left of the XT281 originally there so maybe XV3781 or some combination thereof?

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wadeocu said:

I think you are right; orange stripes and black x marks over ejection seat warning triangles also make me think this machine was out of squadron service at this point.

There is a later shot of it on APC where it appears to have been repainted and has  a white fox head outline on the intake, but physically looks similar (e.g. rotated bomb bay. It was used as a weapons loading trainer, so having that permanently rotated makes sense.)

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p783529736/e3ef047d

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Xtradecal have announced another Buccaneer decal sheet  X72308 containing the following subjects:

Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 Collection Part.2 (11)
Buccaneer S.2B XX895 208 Sqn RAF Lossiemouth 1993
Buccaneer S.2 XN981 981 208 Sqn RAF Lossiemouth late 1983.
Buccaneer S.2 XT275 235/H 801 NAS Royal Navy HMS Hermes 1970.
Buccaneer S.2 XX901 901 216 Sqn RAF Honington 1994.
Buccaneer S.2 XV344 809 NAS Royal Navy RAF Lossiemouth 1969.
Buccaneer S.2B XX892 I/Glen Lossie based at RAF Lossiemouth but detached to Dhahran
Saudi Arabia during Operation Granby 1990
Buccaneer S.2 XX901 208 Sqn based at RAF Lossiemouth but participated in Red Flag meet Nevada USA 1977
Buccaneer S.2 XV869 869/4 208 Sqn RAF Honington 1981.
Buccaneer S.2 XV333 234 801 NAS Royal Navy RAF Lossiemouth 1967.
Buccaneer S.2B XW986 of Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) RAF Boscombe Down 1974.
Buccaneer S.2 XW529 of Royal Aircraft Establishment RAF Boscombe Down 1980

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Wez said:

Xtradecal have announced another Buccaneer decal sheet  X72308 containing the following subjects:

Buccaneer S.2 XX901 901 216 Sqn RAF Honington 1994.

1994?   Really?!?!?!?    :fraidnot:

2 minutes ago, Wez said:

Was there a fire dump at Honington?

There was, but XX901 was never on it.  XX901 was retired after Granby and ended up at the Yorkshire Air Museum.

Besides, why would someone paint long defunct markings on a fire trainer? 

I'll be interested to see the graphics on the Xtradecal sheet but I think it's another instance of Xtradecal not doing their research properly. (See my comments about G-2-1 on the previous sheet.)

Interesting choices on these Xtradecal sheets. I’m not a huge fan of the one off odd ball schemes but I understand the attraction.  My preference is for front line squadron service schemes. I particularly don’t care for the choice of a maintenance airframe.  I do like the one off operational schemes like the Red Flag desert camo scheme though.  I suppose there is something for everyone here so cheers to Xtradecal!

I suspect that we will see two more sheets produced:  a stencil sheet and one more squadron sheet.  The 208 arctic scheme from 1977 is sure to make an appearance and I would think at least one more Granby scheme.  The late era medium sea grey scheme that is on this second sheet and the RAFG schemes have some specific stencils that will hopefully be provided for on the stencil sheet.  I hope we see a mid 70s Honington scheme with low visibility roundels and a LAG bottom.  I also hope they don’t cheat on the day-glo color for the last three of the serial as they did on the 12 squadron history sheet (they provided them in black).

I still have to pinch myself from time to time.  I have been pining for this since I was advanced enough in the hobby to recognize the short comings of all the available 1/72 kits - a very long time indeed!  The CMR releases were wonderful but this Airfix release has brought everything into the mainstream; we are about to be on the mountaintop!

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 5:42 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

They have now changed the date to 1980, which seems perfectly accurate.

Yes that would seem more sensible; however not sure XX901 actually ever served with No 216 Sqn. In order to participate in the final flypast when all Buccaneer squadrons were represented, it did have that unit’s emblem applied for a few days at the end of its career... in 1994! 

I think more research is required by Xtradecal to confirm what subject they intended.

216 Squadron itself was reformed at RAF Honington in July 1979, and equipped with the Blackburn Buccaneer S2B. During the 1980 Red Flag exercises, structural problems with the Buccaneer resulted in it being grounded. A number of Buccaneers were subsequently scrapped so the number of squadrons needed to be reduced, with 216 handing its aircraft to 12 Squadron and disbanding on the 4 August 1980. The squadron had a detachment at RAF Lossiemouth in 1980 known as 216 North.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 9:02 AM, Wez said:

Buccaneer S.2B XX892 I/Glen Lossie based at RAF Lossiemouth but detached to Dhahran
Saudi Arabia during Operation Granby 1990

Another bit of bad research from Xtradecal.

The Buccaneers did not deploy on Op Granby until combat had started. Tasked to go 23rd Jan 1991, first operational sortie 2nd Feb 1991. They also operated from Muharraq, Bahrain. Not Dhahran.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RichG said:

216 Squadron itself was reformed at RAF Honington in July 1979, and equipped with the Blackburn Buccaneer S2B. During the 1980 Red Flag exercises, structural problems with the Buccaneer resulted in it being grounded. A number of Buccaneers were subsequently scrapped so the number of squadrons needed to be reduced, with 216 handing its aircraft to 12 Squadron and disbanding on the 4 August 1980. The squadron had a detachment at RAF Lossiemouth in 1980 known as 216 North.

Rich

An aside from Buccaneers, they briefly operated a Hunters, including F6 XF383, during the Buccaneer grounding. 

20 hours ago, wadeocu said:

I!

I suspect that we will see two more sheets produced:  a stencil sheet and one more squadron sheet.  The 208 arctic scheme from 1977 is sure to make an appearance and I would think at least one more Granby scheme.  The late era medium sea grey scheme that is on this second sheet and the RAFG schemes have some specific stencils that will hopefully be provided for on the stencil sheet. 

They have a habit of just saying ‘use kit stencils’ where this is inappropriate (e.g. Jet Provost T3/4) or where they did do a stencil sheet (F4) it was less comprehensive or accurate than the kit one!

I do hope the pick up that the MSG aircraft were actually two tone grey, with a lighter grey underneath

• Sad 1