1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

5 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Wrong mark, that’s an S1

The real event happened to an S.2, they then reproduced the scene for a training film using an S.1.  Follow the link

Edited by Wez

While we are on the subject, could someone list the visible differences between the S1 and the S2?  Aside from the intakes for which I already have the aftermarket? I'm sure it would be useful before the kit does appear.

Intakes are the obvious difference as you mentioned, I don't know about the exhausts, logic dictates that they should be different.

The wingtips are rounded, these were retro fitted to the RAF Mk.2's that deployed to the Gulf, apparently they gave a better ride.

The fin fairing changed over time with the ECM fit.

I'm sure there is more, hopefully others will chip in.

On 09/01/2019 at 20:03, 71chally said:

I get your point Wez, but Desert Shield and Storm was the NATO coverall name for the operations in the Gulf War, of which Op Granby was a major part.  I certainly knew what Patthecat meant when he referred to it as such.

Not quite.  Desert Shield and Storm were solely the US names for their operations that happened to involve coalition members working under a series of UN resolutions.  It was not a NATO effort, there were NATO member countries involved but it was not a NATO deployment.  Otherwise we would have had some more countries there and certain NATO countries would have freed up ammunition from UK NATO reserve stockpiles held in their countries for use.......

The correct term for UK is OP GRANBY.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Greg B said:

Not quite.  Desert Shield and Storm were solely the US names for their operations that happened to involve coalition members working under a series of UN resolutions.  It was not a NATO effort, there were NATO member countries involved but it was not a NATO deployment.  Otherwise we would have had some more countries there and certain NATO countries would have freed up ammunition from UK NATO reserve stockpiles held in their countries for use.......

The correct term for UK is OP GRANBY.

That is what I said in post 122.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 12:15 PM, Geoff_B said:

It's because it was the RAF Centenary and 100 yrs since the end of WW1 so the general consensus would be a 24th RAF WW1 type or failing that an RAF WW2 fighter, the USN  Hellcat was a bit too left field for the hype and they didn't even illustrate the FAA or Aeronavale options at its unveiling at SMW 2018. It's actually a very nice looking model and should do OK its just a case of expectations were up and thus many were left feeling underwhelmed.

I have to say I was expecting a 1/24th Sopwith Camel or something similar.  Maybe the thinking was that WNW have the larger scale WW1 kits sewn up (I know, not 1/24th). I think the Hellcat is a good choice for them though.  It will sell well in the US as well as the UK and, with all the travails at Hornby, raking in a bit of cash must be quite a priority for Airfix.  It does look like a really superb kit although I won't be getting one.  No room, for a start. Presumably the Typhoon and Mosquito have done pretty well for them to invest such an effort in to the Hellcat.

That was very much on my mind when I first touted an F4U-1D some years ago. Which I hope will follow. The Hellcat is a terrific aeroplane and did a great job, a magnificent piece of engineering, and the kit looks amazing. But all that said, it's a far less charismatic aeroplane than the flawed and tricksy F4U, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

That was very much on my mind when I first touted an F4U-1D some years ago. Which I hope will follow. The Hellcat is a terrific aeroplane and did a great job, a magnificent piece of engineering, and the kit looks amazing. But all that said, it's a far less charismatic aeroplane than the flawed and tricksy F4U, 

I wonder whether a 'Zeke' might be a consideration after the Hellcat.

I wonder if Hannant's will reissue their Xtradecal sheet or will they replace it with an updated sheet(s) as it would be nice to have the options for 800 squadron with their black bordered white Squadron codes and will we get matching stencils if the Aftermarket ones end up a different shade to the kits Pale Blue markings. 

Now whilst I'm chuffed to bits with Airfix doing a new RN Buccaneer S2 and its due in Sept 19 (so hopefully out before SMW and not early the following year as per both Phantoms) its also a bit frustrating as now have to wait till then for the kit to come out as really need to focus on other builds to tide us over till the Buccaneer appears !!!!🤨

4 hours ago, Geoff_B said:

I wonder if Hannant's will reissue their Xtradecal sheet or will they replace it with an updated sheet(s) ......

I once inquired about a reprint of the old Xtradecal 1/48 sheet which is from the same era as the 1/72 sheets or maybe even a little later (late 80s to early/mid 90s).  I was told that all of that art was done in the old manner with xacto knives making paste-up, camera ready art.  I think any sheets done now will be done digitally with illustration software and, therefore, made from scratch productions.  I suspect we will get a full stencil sheet and three or four sheets covering FAA and RAF squadrons as we saw with the Lightning when it was newly tooled in 1/72. 

Like I said above, I am almost just as excited about all the aftermarket releases I think we will get in the wake of this announcement!  Don't let the manufacturers know this, but I am duty bound to purchase them all!  

• Like 1

I don't veer towards jets often, but I am really looking forward to the new Bucc, and ultimately will find room for a land-based one as well as a Navy one.  There are evidently quite a few Gulf War sheets available but less for the earlier carrier-borne era. I wouldn't describe myself as having any great knowledge of units and markings, so would welcome any thoughts on these Kits World sheets

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW72140

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW72137

I had forgotten about the SAAF usage and that looks to provide some interesting options too.

Looking at those CAD pictures on the Airfix website, I have a couple of observations.  I know it's early days to be saying things like this, but it looks like we will get an airbrake which can be open or closed and seperate flaps. The wingtips may be seperate as well, allowing for different versions or, at the very least, an easy way of scratching the rounded wingtips.  It also looks like the outer wings will have all the vortex generators which is correct for a non-Martel capable aircraft.  If you want to fit Martels, simply remove the vortex generator above the pylon position.  Far easier than having to add a vortex generator to build a standard aircraft.

It's looking good!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Looks like upper and lower fuselage halves, which can make ofr an awkward to deal with join line

For the centre wingbox section, rear of the wings and the cockpit /nose section look like separate ,vertical split sections, follows the construction of the real thing closely.

46790143301_846dd84ed2_b.jpgz_exclusive_cad_drawing_detail_for_the_new_airfix_blackburn_buccaneer_s2_a06021_royal_navy_on_the_airfix_workbench_blog by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

46790143581_4800370e52_b.jpgr_original_drawings_for_the_new_airfix_blackburn_buccaneer_s2_a06021_royal_navy_on_the_airfix_workbench_blog by Tony Osborne, on Flickr

Edited by sniperUK
  • Like 1

But it also looks like the rear fuselage is a seperate assembly.  Please note:  pure speculation on my part!   This would minimise the joint lines on the fuselage centre section, especially if the intakes and jetpipes are seperate parts.  It could also lead in to alternative centre section and intake parts for an S1.  Why else would Airfix have put an S1 photo on that page?  :fool: 

• Like 1

Looks like there is a 'device' in the rotary bomb bay but not a rotating bomb bay. Also hope the designer gets the small details right like the different grills on the intakes, oblong on the port and round on the starboard. One other thing, as they are going for a front middle and end as shown by the tabs on the rear section it would be good if the designer could make them lock into a positive position. Very much looking forward to the kit as the designer says he wants to get it right.

z_exclusive_cad_drawing_detail_for_the_n

Robert

• Like 1

The kit seems to have as perfect break down as there can be really, a horizontally split mid fuselage and nacelles section, with split vertical nose and tail sections being joined to the mid section at the actual aircraft joints.

In theory a hypothetical S.1 kit would simply be new mid section parts, in the article Airfix clearly acknowledge what an S.1 is.

Great Workbench article by Airfix really interesting info.  Not sure I understand the slipper tanks being unique to the Navy bit though, I know there was a mod to the tank fairing but believe that was used by both services.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2