1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

On 1/7/2019 at 6:10 PM, wadeocu said:

Of course all of this is building up to the amazing 2021 announcement of the 1/350 Ark Royal IV kit!

Oh yes please please please!

Terry

I get your point Wez, but Desert Shield and Storm was the NATO coverall name for the operations in the Gulf War, of which Op Granby was a major part.  I certainly knew what Patthecat meant when he referred to it as such.

@Dennis_C Though they would still be in service until late 1991 my understanding is that SAAF Buccaneers weren't deployed to the Gulf War.

Would be nice to see a SAAF option for the kit, but I guess aftermarket will give us parts, such as the large tanks, rocket pack and later Countermeasures fit.

@hairystickI agree, would be nice to see a vertical split this time, looking at the CADs the cockpit does seem to be be, but unsure about the majority of the fuselage.

I'm sure it will be a fine product either way though, unlike what we are used to!

Would be great to see it get the Airfix Gnat treatment and end up in 48th as well.

I bet @Massimo and @perdu will be overjoyed at this news of a new Buccaneer in their scale after all their superb work with the available kits!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

Well James, speaking personally, overjoyed describes it nicely and as we all? know the S1 is so different to the 2 that having a good S2 will be heaven sent

At last evidence that Luffbramatt on Pistonheads can influence his people

All hail Airfix just let's hope the nosewheel lamp is moulded separate to the leg. 😉

11/10 for effort Airfix

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 4:37 PM, Dave Fleming said:

......................What is slightly intruiging in the CAD is the intakes and jet pipes are a different colour, suggesting an S1 might be in their thoughts as well

That's exactly what I thought, and the Bucc looks great in an all over anti-flash white finish too.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I get your point Wez, but Desert Shield and Storm was the NATO coverall name for the operations in the Gulf War, of which Op Granby was a major part.  I certainly knew what Patthecat meant when he referred to it as such.

@Dennis_C Though they would still be in service until late 1991 my understanding is that SAAF Buccaneers weren't deployed to the Gulf War.

Would be nice to see a SAAF option for the kit, but I guess aftermarket will give us parts, such as the large tanks, rocket pack and later Countermeasures fit.

@hairystickI agree, would be nice to see a vertical split this time, looking at the CADs the cockpit does seem to be be, but unsure about the majority of the fuselage.

I'm sure it will be a fine product either way though, unlike what we are used to!

Would be great to see it get the Airfix Gnat treatment and end up in 48th as well.

I bet @Massimo and @perdu will be overjoyed at this news of a new Buccaneer in their scale after all their superb work with the available kits!

It's always fascinating how we read and interpret things! I read this as SAAF Buccaneers purely seeing active service (not in the Gulf War) which of course they did in skirmishes with Angola.

• Like 2

Though they would still be in service until late 1991 my understanding is that SAAF Buccaneers weren't deployed to the Gulf War.

The SAAF Buccaneers were involved in the Border War in Angola during the late 60's to 1990, which I think the OP was referring too IE only used in anger during Desert Storm by the RAF and SAAF in Angola. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hairystick said:

Hopefully airfix abandon the concept of splitting the fuselage horizontally. The fuselage lends itself perfectly to a vertical join line...

Having a nosecone which can be displayed open or closed would be a superb touch, but I guess they have already thought of that.

Looking at the CAD picture of the cockpit of suggests that the nose is a separate part which means that the fuselage is split vertically. 

Robert

To my eye a perfect fuselage breakdown to kit would entail the body of the fuselage separate from the engine nacelles/undercart bays

Then a follow-up release using the narrower intakes of the S1, as we know the actual thin intakes are part and parcel of differing engine arrangement of the Gyron Juniors with smaller pen nib fairings too

It'd be easier if both entire units were offered separately

I hope Airfix have considered this possibility

We'll no doubt see in September, I will be holding back on my planned S2 build now this has been announced

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert said:

Looking at the CAD picture of the cockpit of suggests that the nose is a separate part which means that the fuselage is split vertically. 

Robert

They might follow the Matchbox style  - that always seemed much more sensible than a horizontal split fuselage and intakes

I note the CAD shows early style fin bullet - late service RN aircraft had the RWR also fitted to the RAF aircraft

52 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

That's exactly what I thought, and the Bucc looks great in an all over anti-flash white finish too.

Thinking about it a bit more I came to the conclusion that it's not, as the intakes need to be smaller a lot further back, and there is a small intake at the wing/fuselage leading edge junction

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

To my eye a perfect fuselage breakdown to kit would entail the body of the fuselage separate from the engine nacelles/undercart bays

Then a follow-up release using the narrower intakes of the S1, as we know the actual thin intakes are part and parcel of differing engine arrangement of the Gyron Juniors with smaller pen nib fairings too

It'd be easier if both entire units were offered separately

...superbly put Bill

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Wez said:

There wasn't a Desert Storm version, but if you mean Gulf War 1 version, I'd expect to see an Op Granby jet in 2021 to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the conflict.

'ere...   pedantry is only cool and stylish when I do it..!  :smartass:

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Wez said:

I appreciate that.  Why not wait and see what's in the kit?  You may be pleasantly surprised as it may contain the parts to allow you to build an Op Granby jet.

At the time, when we were working to get aircraft prepped and dispatched to go to the Gulf, it was all done for Op Granby, not Desert Storm.  Although I ended up getting detached somewhere other than the Gulf, I worked on a force that did go, to those of us around at the time it was and still is Op Granby and is still referred to as such, when we talk about it, we never refer to Desert Storm.

Whilst the Americans like to go in for names like Desert Storm, us Brits like to give these operations rather more understated and less obvious names.

I guess that's why @Jabba who runs the Gulf War SIG calls it just that and not the Desert Storm SIG, to cater for all of the other nations efforts.

You're an optimist, Wez, but yes, I hope that the box contents will give us good surprises like a Pavespike pod.

No disrespect for the effort of countries other than the USA here, it's just that the media here always referred to "Desert Storm". so I used it.

Edited by PattheCat

6 hours ago, Robert said:

Robert

Indeed - upon closer review of that picture I notice a locating pin hole under the refueling probe location. I'd say that is strong evidence of a vertical split; at least for the nose and cockpit section.  Looking at the back wall of the cockpit tub, it looks like there is a seam all the way around where the top half of the fuselage meets the cockpit tub part.  This suggests that perhaps they have designed it with a separate vertically split nose/cockpit section and a horizontally split fuselage from the cockpit back.  

This will be a fun 9 months of speculation, suspense and anticipation! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

The SAAF Buccaneers were involved in the Border War in Angola during the late 60's to 1990, which I think the OP was referring too IE only used in anger during Desert Storm by the RAF and SAAF in Angola. 

That's the way I read it, only the RAF and the SAAF saw combat with their Bucc's, the FAA took part in a number of policing actions which fell short of actual combat - IIRC the S.1's were used in the Gulf from carriers to dispel Iraqi intentions towards Kuwait during the 60's, then there was a bit of sabre rattling over Guatemala (read Phoenix Squadron for details), and of course, they took part in some strikes against the Torrey Canyon.

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

'ere...   pedantry is only cool and stylish when I do it..!  :smartass:

Look, I'm already sat in Pedants' Corner, if you come along I'll have to get the step ladder out to move the apostrophe :tease:

1 hour ago, PattheCat said:

You're an optimist, Wez, but yes, I hope that the box contents will give us good surprises like a Pavespike pod.

No disrespect for the effort of countries other than the USA here, it's just that the media here always referred to "Desert Storm". so I used it.

I never thought for a moment that you were being disrespectful towards the efforts to other countries however, I do remember British Gulf veterans grumbling at the suggestion they'd taken part in Desert Storm.

As for being an optimist, well, a chap can always hope can't he?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Look, I'm already sat in Pedants' Corner, if you come along I'll have to get the step ladder out to move the apostrophe :tease:

Acksherly, it's fine as it is for the both of us.  If there's just you there, you'll need to get that step ladder out...  :D  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

I never thought for a moment that you were being disrespectful towards the efforts to other countries however, I do remember British Gulf veterans grumbling at the suggestion they'd taken part in Desert Storm.

Yes we do. I was part of Op Granby(Grumpy) and always will be.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hairystick said:

Hopefully airfix abandon the concept of splitting the fuselage horizontally. The fuselage lends itself perfectly to a vertical join line...

Having a nosecone which can be displayed open or closed would be a superb touch, but I guess they have already thought of that.

The CAD shown on the website showed the cockpit area with a half fuselage Tha locked like a vertical split to me. I am not a fan  of horizontal splits either, but I think design and tooling has moved on a lot in past few years. 

11 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

the Bucc looks great in an all over anti-flash white finish too.

Not on an S2 though unfortunately.

This release will be eagerly awaited by many I'm sure.

Glad that it is coming out in proper colours first (despite that light on the nose undercarriage leg.) although they do say the colour scheme may change.

My interpretation of the CAD, which is very early days, I would concur with @wadeocu, front fuselage split vertically, this mounting to a split horizontally fuselage.

Would this approach simplify later S.1 release? Or nose sections/cockpits were different anyway?