1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

30 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

There is something odd going on with Buccaneer deliveries.  Hannants don't have any in stock yet - they are usually the first to get them.

They have some now but I agree, they do seem a bit late to the party.

OK Bucc' clever trousers type people, what's the fairing between the intake and the fuselage for, which Bucc's was it fitted to and when did it appear?  Does the Airfix kit have it as a separate part?

12 minutes ago, Wez said:

OK Bucc' clever trousers type people, what's the fairing between the intake and the fuselage for

It seems that the intakes of the S2 generated unacceptable noise in flight.  The fairing smoothed the airflow and got rid of the noise.  I can't say for certain, but it looks as though all aircraft had them retrofitted by 1970. 

Dunno if the Airfix kit has them as seperate parts 'cos I haven't got mine yet...!   :weep:

Edit:   if you look at 71chally's pictures on the previous page, it shows them moulded in place on the forward fuselage halves.  It shouldn't be too difficult to remove them though.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It seems that the intakes of the S2 generated unacceptable noise in flight.  The fairing smoothed the airflow and got rid of the noise.  I can't say for certain, but it looks as though all aircraft had them retrofitted by 1970. 

Dunno if the Airfix kit has them as seperate parts 'cos I haven't got mine yet...!   :weep:

Edit:   if you look at 71chally's pictures on the previous page, it shows them moulded in place on the forward fuselage halves.  It shouldn't be too difficult to remove them though.

Thankee!

So most RAF jets should have them but the earlier CPFC jets wouldn't, something to watch.

I've seen a single picture of a very early RAF jet in gloss camouflage which didn't have them.  I can't identify the jet as the shot is just of the forward fuselage.  However, every other RAF jet I have seen had them.

I haven't yet seen a FAA jet in the grey/white scheme which has them.  As for the overall grey scheme, it's a case of "check your references" but if in doubt I would say go with them.

On 30 September 2019 at 7:59 AM, Geoff_B said:

Alley Cat do the Photo Pallet in their Odds & Ordnance range however that design is for the older Airfix kit and the new kit has the Bomb bay molded open so some work would be required to cut out the bay or adapt the resin lump to fit the bomb bay.

Thanks, but I find Alleycat's delays in sending paid-for products out to customers a deal breaker. I had to get threatening after two months to receive part of what I ordered and a refund for something "not good news for you, but good news for me" (his words!) concerning his joy at finding bits irrelevant to my own order.

Should have been incorporated into Fawlty Towers.

Tony 

2 hours ago, Wez said:

what's the fairing between the intake and the fuselage for, which Bucc's was it fitted to and when did it appear?  Does the Airfix kit have it as a separate part?

Just to give some visuals for others that may be playing along at home:

Pre-Mod1044:

IMG_3794

Post-Mod1044:

IMG_3795

Enzo is correct, most RAF Buccs  (only a few rare exceptions early on) had this fairing.  The was part of Mod-1044 which began in the late 60s.

This fairing is included on the front fuselage halves so I don't think we will see alternate parts in future releases.  The good news is that pre-Mod 1044 Buccs without the fairing were pretty much featureless in this area - no panels lines or rivets.  All you have to do is sand it down smooth and maybe use some CA or epoxy to fill any void left behind.  Having said that, I am getting ahead of myself as I don't have the kit in hand as of yet! 📭:pray: 

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great info, and I forgot about the mod, I can't look at my kit until tomorrow but will report back.

I think it's better that it's included, with the option to file it off if not required for a specific build.

Can an RAF Bucc be modelled from this box, of course it can.  But I always say have as many references to hand for any specific airframe that you are modelling as you can, as with many aircraft there can be so many changes and modifications introduced over its lifespan, and often more in service than simply Navy V RAF changes.

As an example, there was even a short period in the early 1970s when Buccaneers had all the vortex generators removed completely.

I have to say, after spending a half hour or so taping all the major parts together on one of the 5 kits I received from Hornby today, “Well done, Airfix.”

Fit of parts is very good. The assembly of the exhaust ducts with the fuselage frames to make up the main gear bays and stiffen the fuselage gives a convincing result; much better than the odd shapes in the 1/48th kit.

The lower wings are a a bit droopy on my kit, but everything falls into alignment quite easily when the spar frames and top wing halves are added. This looks like being a really enjoyable build.

Hi chaps, just a quick teaser. This is an early Bucc test shot I built back in June for this months issue of  Airfix Model World. I'll post more images in RFI in a few days, after the latest issue has been published. It's a great little kit and builds up well, I'll go into it in more depth soon. The decals are from the Xtradecals set, which unfortunately didn't include stencils...however as luck would have it a test sheet came through just after I'd painted it. (I also altered the war load slightly by adding an extra pair of 2in rocket pods and move the two 1,000 pounders into the weapons bay).

Hope this whets your appetite for now...

Cheers :cheers:

Melchie

1-DSC-5034.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 17

My (first) one arrived today!  :yahoo:  :bounce: 

Edit:    a few comments from my first (very cursory) look at the parts.

The bulged weapons bay from the earlier Airfix kit will not fit directly.  It is about 4mm to0 long and 2mm too narrow.  I'm not worried though.  I'm supposed to be a modeller.   I reckon I can make it fit!  :D 

There are some wing spar parts to make a rigid assembly when the wings are spread.  Parts B9 and B10 are shown in the instructions.  there are two similar parts - B7 and B8 - on the sprue which do not appear to be used.  I assume they are for the forthcoming RAF boxing, although I can't imagine why they would be needed.

Sprue E is devoted to components for this FAA variant.  It contains the weapons (2" rocket pods and 1000lb bombs with 117 tails).  There is also the early weapons bay, non-RWR comonents for the tailplane, early short-chord pylons and the upper halves of the early slipper tanks.

I reckon that the next boxing for the RAF version will contain a sprue with a bulged weapons bay, RWR components for the tailplane, post-mod 5193 tank components and later "universal" pylons.  I wonder what weapons choices we will get.  Almost certainly a Granby option with Pave Spike pod, ECM pod and Paveway II.  I wonder if Airfix will provide a Sea Eagle fit, or even Martels. 

Edit 2:   No further speculation needed about the universal pylons.  The wings have blanked off location holes in the correct position for them.  This will require one of the vortex generators to be removed.  Not exactly a difficult task. It's always easier to remove them than add them. :) 

I don't think we'll get an extra clear sprue for the canopies which had MDC though.  Maybe Airfix will put the MDC on the decal sheet.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kyles of bute said:

hi guys, enzo  pointed out on Wednesday that parts b7 and b8 are surplus.  I think these are for the raf kit . they often flew without the wingfold covers. 

That makes perfect sense!  Good spot!  :thumbsup:  

1 hour ago, kyles of bute said:

hi guys, enzo  pointed out on Wednesday that parts b7 and b8 are surplus.  I think these are for the raf kit . they often flew without the wingfold covers. 

the Navy Buccs had the hinge cover doors removed aswel, I think in the early 1970s, I agree that the alternative parts are to depict that and the detail within.

If I wanted to model this with a Red Beard, I'd need something like the Aeroclub set, right?  Did that come as 2 parts, or was the bomb molded to the fairing?  I'm assuming it would need some work to fit to this new kit. 

The photo on their site looks like one part, and that looks difficult to paint.  I guess a Shapeways bomb and  a scratch fairing would work.  Are there any reference photos out there of what that would look like?

Up to approx when would Red beard have been carried?

If I were to use WE177s instead, how were they stored in the bomb bay, both in front, back, one behind the other?

Not sure where to put this as for uk delivery it would be free - I have some spare old bucaneer parts including part 10  (bulged bomb bay insert??) and most of the weapon sets included in the last red box release.  Happy to send if any use for people wanting to start a granby conversion now!  No idea why I kept them! I made mine I seem to remember as all white faa with low viz roundals so might even have decals but doubt it. 

3 hours ago, RobStewart said:

If I were to use WE177s instead, how were they stored in the bomb bay, both in front, back, one behind the other?

They were carried side by side on the middle two stations (9&10) of the bomb bay.

I've been looking for raf aircraft not fitted with the belly tank. I have the book "the buccaneers" and there is a photo of a 208 bucc at akrotiri during operation pulsator  it has a gulf war load out and four 1000 lb bombs. all I need is pylons and  antenna

this is easier said than done,so hurry up airfix  with the raf version.

please allow me one very small nitpick ,airfix have missed a naca type inlet on the top fuselage but it is easy to fix /ignore. I love this kit  and will buy more

ps  there is a photo of a gulf war bucc  Guinness girl being painted  and the artist is using Tamiya paints

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobStewart said:

Up to approx when would Red beard have been carried?

Red Beard entered service in 1962 and was withdrawn in 1971, having been superceded by WE177. Declassified documents suggest that the Royal Navy was allocated 35 weapons for Buccaneer carriage.

Just out of interest,

the Navy Buccs had the hinge cover doors removed aswel, I think in the early 1970s,

True Chally, some aircraft had only the forward panels removed, others both, best to check references for the airframe you're going for. I have an image of an S.2C with the panels removed dated 1968, the boffins discovered that it didn't substantially affect the flying characteristics quite early on in the S.2s development.

If I wanted to model this with a Red Beard, I'd need something like the Aeroclub set, right? 

Aircraft In Miniature (AIM) have just released a Red Beard and both the WE177A and B & C. (the initial batch of 177s sold out quickly, however, more will be in stock soon)

AIM Red Beard

AIM WE177 A

AIM WE177 B/C

Here's just about everything you need to know about the WE177 in service.

WE177 PDF

please allow me one very small nitpick ,airfix have missed a naca type inlet on the top fuselage but it is easy to fix /ignore. 

They missed a few to be honest, the round vent on the starboard intake lower side and the two small holes on the upper intake trunks (actually there's three, a smaller hole  inboard of the one on the starboard intake, see below). Two minutes with a .5mm drill. There were also two small faired vents that were fitted in the same area, the right offset inboard.

Scan from an old book. There was only one hole to the port side.

1-img077.jpg

The NACA duct arrangement under the Buccs intakes was staggered and not symmetrical. For some reason Airfix have them mirrored on either side (as do a lot of drawings). This view from the BM walkaround illustrates the asymmetric arrangement well,

j01.JPG&key=d8856e2748b23ad0f7b911301a75

r01.JPG&key=440efc0f6eb718f306ff5c1182fa

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2