Jump to content

1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2 released - S.2B RAF in 2020 - S.1 conv. set from Aerocraft & CMK detailing sets


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Not good news for Tanmodel. Will they abandon their plans for a 1:72 Bucc and just do the 1:48 version now? 

 

J

 

Too bad, I guess. As with the 1/32 Lancasters, if you constantly promise a model for upwards of five years without delivering you can't argue when someone else decides to get in there with rather less fuss and a shorter wait to market.

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Not good news for Tanmodel. Will they abandon their plans for a 1:72 Bucc and just do the 1:48 version now? 

 

J

The usual answer: An Airfix Bucc will not earn money for Tanmodels...

However - I think better like this than if they both present their new tool kits on the same show. Tanmodells can now consider if the expected turnover is still enough or if they invest in a different subject.

Aaaaand: Maybe they speed up with their 1:48 kit which they wanted to bring out before the 1:72 version if I am not mistaken. They can also watch the ado about the Airfix kit - what people want and what they like/dislike about it.

 

Considering Airfix other scale-up or scale-down projects we know they are not really fast with this. See the Tiger Moth which will come out in 1:48 in May (or so). And no 1:48 Spey announced yet - also no 1:72 Sea Vixen or Javelin yet... So it will take some years before we see a 1:48 Bucc from them I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Not good news for Tanmodel. Will they abandon their plans for a 1:72 Bucc and just do the 1:48 version now? 

 

J

Perhaps

 

wouldn't it be nice if they did re-think it and conclude that upscaling to 1/32 their Bucc would look rather nice to their planned 1/32 F-111

 

Just saying if Tanmodel are reading

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2019 at 16:37, Dave Fleming said:

What is slightly intruiging in the CAD is the intakes and jet pipes are a different colour, suggesting an S1 might be in their thoughts as well

I don't think so.  The S1 intakes start to narrow much further back than the break line shown on those CAD renders.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 1/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, Wez said:

Exactly what I thought!

I'm glad to see the schemes haven't been finalised yet, I'd rather see a colour scheme of the most prolific and longest user of the type - the RAF! 

Bought my father Haynes Buccaneer book for Christmas as he worked on the flight test development team. 

Speaking to him the other day, he went on about all the work that was done, for so little carrier time!

One of his jobs was painting the tyres white, prior to a test flight, so that the tyre manufacturer could work out loadings.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, roys said:

....... he went on about all the work that was done, for so little carrier time!

Hi Roy,

 

it sounds like your father's memory might be playing a few little tricks on him, as the Bucc served continually on carriers for 15 years; being operational on all the fixed-wing carriers from 1963 to 1978 Victorious, Eagle, Ark Royal and Hermes.

 

Mike

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At last! For the first time in 65 years of plastic modelling (it was a Hawk 1/48 Mustang), I am giving up on a kit, the CMR Buccaneer, a gorgeous resin kit, it has proven impossible to extract neatly from it’s casting blocks and align properly. Mating surfaces seem to be the Achilles heel of CMR kits. After nearly two years of stop and start frustration, I packed it up this morning and took it to the stash in the cellar. No longer will it sit there and reproach me from it’s position on the bench. THANK YOU Airfix!!!

May yet serve a purpose as the world’s most expensive source ot detail parts, when September comes. Can hardly wait.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, Procopius said:

In my experience, yes. Airfix's overseas shipping is practically extortionate. That said, sometimes Spruebrothers get in an early shipment of new Airfix kits around the UK release time.

Of course, the best thing may well be to place an order with Hannants and include copies of all the nice Xtradecal sheets that are sure to be released concurrently with the kit!!

 

I am almost just as excited about all the new detail bits that will be developed for this release! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

If the CAD images are indicative of how the actual model will look, then they've made at least two improvements over their previous 48th scale kit, namely the nice touch of the offset seats (wonder if the canopy will have similar MDC alignment?) and nice to see a curved bottom edge to the canopy. Nice one Airfix. 

There should be no MDC for the S.2.  That came along in the mid-70s.  It will be interesting to see if they offer an MDC option for those later versions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Trenton guy said:

At last! For the first time in 65 years of plastic modelling (it was a Hawk 1/48 Mustang), I am giving up on a kit, the CMR Buccaneer, a gorgeous resin kit, it has proven impossible to extract neatly from it’s casting blocks and align properly. Mating surfaces seem to be the Achilles heel of CMR kits. After nearly two years of stop and start frustration, I packed it up this morning and took it to the stash in the cellar. No longer will it sit there and reproach me from it’s position on the bench. THANK YOU Airfix!!!

May yet serve a purpose as the world’s most expensive source ot detail parts, when September comes. Can hardly wait.

Yes the fit of the main parts on my example was a challenge that I too never overcame.  I think though, there will be many useful bits and pieces and maybe not so relatively expensive considering the wealth of parts included; surely some parts will be of use. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Hi Roy,

 

it sounds like your father's memory might be playing a few little tricks on him

 

 

Or mine for his exact words, but he did mention all the work on the refuelling probe before it went fixed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wadeocu said:

There should be no MDC for the S.2.  That came along in the mid-70s.  It will be interesting to see if they offer an MDC option for those later versions.

MDC was retrofitted to both RN and RAF Buccaneers from 1971 onwards.  The MDC is actually quite hard to see but one visual guide to whether or not it is fitted is the warning triangles, three large, equal, size ones denote the early jettisonable canopy, two large with one much smaller one on the canopy frame is the MDC type.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 4:57 PM, AdrianMF said:

Wow! I'm glad I only spent four quid on a second hand Frog one at SMW Telford now!

 

I might even be tempted...

 

Regards,

Adrian

..same here, though my £2 Frogspawn one in dirty brown plastic which is more translucent than the canopy can't be left on the shelf can it?

Perhaps build one of each at the same time just for the fun...

 

cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

For those that want to gen up the Haynes Bucc book is £6 in the works- bargain (lots more there too the 707 one is particularly good and I don’t do airliners!)

Where I found it. No Haynes titles in Smith's or Waterstones. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

MDC was retrofitted to both RN and RAF Buccaneers from 1971 onwards.  The MDC is actually quite hard to see but one visual guide to whether or not it is fitted is the warning triangles, three large, equal, size ones denote the early jettisonable canopy, two large with one much smaller one on the canopy frame is the MDC type.

Yes please - please keep all this good guff going James. 

I recall learning a tonne of new stuff when the Airfix Phantom FG.1 was released and it looks like this will also be the case for the Bucc as well. 

 

Cheers.. (All ears).. Dave 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only recently had a dabble at 1:72 ( apart from my childhood of course when everything was 1:72) and I treated myself to the Airfix Phantom FG.1; so the Buccaneer will be a definite for me.

 

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So  we should have the choice this year between two new kits, Airfix 1/72 or Tanmodel 1/48? I think my money will go to the first who delivers a Desert Storm version. If not, it should be the Airfix one. Thanks Airfix, you keep being the most regular brand to empty my wallet (still keeping an eye on the arrival of the Hunter here) 

Edited by PattheCat
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Tan Model gets its act together and we get a new tool 1/48 kit and a 1/72 kit in the same year, I may need to wear a tight fitting helmet to keep my head from exploding!!! 🤯

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

So  we should have the choice this year between two new kits, Airfix 1/72 or Tanmodel 1/48? I think my money will go to the first who delivers a Desert Storm version.

There wasn't a Desert Storm version, but if you mean Gulf War 1 version, I'd expect to see an Op Granby jet in 2021 to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the conflict.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Wez said:

There wasn't a Desert Storm version, but if you mean Gulf War 1 version, I'd expect to see an Op Granby jet in 2021 to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the conflict.

Thanks. Indeed, I meant a plane from Lossiemouth (12th or 208 sqn, if I'm not mistaken). I don't think I'll be able to wait until 2021 though. A shame I'm not good at modifying kits so I'll get one and stick with a box offering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Wez said:

There wasn't a Desert Storm version, but if you mean Gulf War 1 version, I'd expect to see an Op Granby jet in 2021 to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the conflict.

Granby was the British element of Desert Storm surely?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully airfix abandon the concept of splitting the fuselage horizontally. The fuselage lends itself perfectly to a vertical join line...

Having a nosecone which can be displayed open or closed would be a superb touch, but I guess they have already thought of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Thanks. Indeed, I meant a plane from Lossiemouth (12th or 208 sqn, if I'm not mistaken). I don't think I'll be able to wait until 2021 though. A shame I'm not good at modifying kits so I'll get one and stick with a box offering.

 

I appreciate that.  Why not wait and see what's in the kit?  You may be pleasantly surprised as it may contain the parts to allow you to build an Op Granby jet.

 

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

Granby was the British element of Desert Storm surely?

At the time, when we were working to get aircraft prepped and dispatched to go to the Gulf, it was all done for Op Granby, not Desert Storm.  Although I ended up getting detached somewhere other than the Gulf, I worked on a force that did go, to those of us around at the time it was and still is Op Granby and is still referred to as such, when we talk about it, we never refer to Desert Storm.

 

Whilst the Americans like to go in for names like Desert Storm, us Brits like to give these operations rather more understated and less obvious names.

 

I guess that's why @Jabba who runs the Gulf War SIG calls it just that and not the Desert Storm SIG, to cater for all of the other nations efforts.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...