1/72 - Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.2 by Airfix - S.2C & S.2B released - new S.2B boxing

Homebee

I read recently he was frustrated that everyone thought of him only as the milkman and nobody mentioned he actually went to university. Not sure if he finished his degree though...no doubt the long hard slog to become a fighter pilot was worth it in the end. 

Jeff 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Is it September yet?  :bounce:

At my age you don’t want to be hurtling forward a few months at a time 😱

I’ll happily wait until 2020 for the grey/green version to appear.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/senior-service-strike-jet

Scheme A – Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C XV154 021/R, No.809 Naval Air Squadron, HMS Ark Royal, January 1972.

spacer.png

f_new_airfix_blackburn_buccaneer_scheme_

Scheme B - Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C XV336 112/E, No.800 Naval Air Squadron, HMS Eagle, June 1971.

spacer.png

spacer.png

V.P.

• Like 9

Hoping that Airfix reads this here as I dont know how to contact them directly with E&O advice.  The inner air-brake surfaces should be the same color as the wheel bays and inner wing fold - a light grey with blue tinge.  Light admiralty grey is a close match.  The serial stenciling is accurate though.

809 circa 71 for reference but this is applicable to both schemes:

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p626913550/e2ee71a33

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elkin said:

More excited by this than the Phantom!

It's hard to see how anyone could not be excited by this!  :D 

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but to me it seems significant that the last two large jets that Airfix has released have been in FAA colours.  Does that mean we will see a Sea Vixen next?  :pray:

Now I realise that the Phantom and Buccaneer have a wider range of marking options as they both saw RAF service, but Airfix could easily solve that problem by releasing a Javelin at the same time as the Sea Vixen.   :fool:   

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but to me it seems significant that the last two large jets that Airfix has released have been in FAA colours.  Does that mean we will see a Sea Vixen next?  :pray:

PLEASE !!! I hope that comes true. 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2019 at 7:09 PM, Meatbox8 said:

I always thought it mildly amusing that in a series called Fighter Pilot the only one who made it ended up flying bombers.

Yes, but apparently it could give most fighters a run for their money at VERY low level !

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 7:09 PM, Meatbox8 said:

I always thought it mildly amusing that in a series called Fighter Pilot the only one who made it ended up flying bombers.

I suppose it depends on how one defines "fighter" ? It could possibly be argued, with some justification, that the only "fighters" operated by the RAF at the time were those used by the Binbrook Historic Flight!😉😂

Allan

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's hard to see how anyone could not be excited by this!  :D 

Now I realise that the Phantom and Buccaneer have a wider range of marking options as they both saw RAF service, but Airfix could easily solve that problem by releasing a Javelin at the same time as the Sea Vixen.   :fool:   

And a Scimitar to complete the set.

• Like 5

l will probably wait until the reviews before buying the kit as looking at the Airfix Spitfire thread l hope that the Buccaneer does not succumb to the same fate. Although l have not heard anything bad about their Hellcat which appears positive.

Robert

Edited by Robert

30 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

And a Scimitar to complete the set.

Whilst it complètes the set, I can't see Airfix kitting a Supermarine Even Fatter Knacker, after all, it was quite an unremarkable aircraft and only had one service user. Its most significant achievement was acting as a bowser for the under-powered Buccaneer S.1.

Mind you, Airfix did surprise us with a kit of the Supermarine Fat Knacker, the aircraft that wanted to be as gorgeous and svelte as the Hunter so never say never.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

l will probably wait until the reviews before buying the kit as looking at the Airfix Spitfire thread l hope that the Buccaneer does not succumb to the same fate. Although l have not heard anything had about their Hellcat which appears positive.

Robert

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

In this month’s AMW magazine there is a tantalising box art type image of a RN Buccaneer making a deck landing, in the background is a Wessex. Now I have a recollection that Airfix revealed that they dropped a hint at a future release by featuring two Bucc’s on the box art of their Victor tanker, could they be at it again? Don’t forget, a Wessex also appeared on the box art of their RN Phantom. Just saying...

Edited by Rickoshea52
  • Like 8

On 6/27/2019 at 3:50 PM, Terry1954 said:

Yes, but apparently it could give most fighters a run for their money at VERY low level !

It did. On the US weapons ranges during Red Flag, the Bucc got so low that missils shots against them were impossible. The best oppportunity was when having to pull up and over a mountain ridge, but there again the jets rolled inverted crossing over the ridge and back into the next valley, minimising the exposure time where a shot could be taken against them.

We can only hope that both the Phantom and the Bucc will be released in 1:48th in the near future!

• Like 4

The gear cleans up very quickly after takeoff.  The jockey would set the undercarriage to retract as the jet started its roll.  The WOW switch would prevent the undercarriage from retracting while the wheels were on the ground, but as soon as the weight was off, the gear would clean up.

The jockey had to be very careful though.  Honington was notorious for having a runway with a hump.  One crew had tried this trick and the jet jumped over the hump before it had reached flying speed and settled back on to the runway on its belly.  For that reason the jockey would hold the jet on the ground for slightly longer than necessary.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Getting closer to release!  I think this is likely to be the box art.  This was published in the most recent issue of Airfix Model World. 

I trust that posting it is ok given that it is an advertisement but please forgive me and delete the post if I have done wrong.  I am very excited about this release!

IMG_3608

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Loving it . Its a must for me too. I won't care about any nitpicking criticisms. Only that its been a long time coming to get a decent kit of the Bucc thats not vacform or resin.

• Like 1