1/48 - DH.82a Tiger Moth by Airfix - released - new boxing in 2024

Homebee

- ref. A04104A - de Havilland D.H.82 Tiger Moth

https://uk.airfix.com/products/de-havilland-tiger-moth-a04104a

a04104a-1.webp

A04104-A-SCH-A.png

- de Havilland DH82A Tiger Moth, BB852/E, Britannia Flight, Britannia Royal Naval College, Roborough, Plymouth, Devon, July 1st, 1965, the last biplanes to land on a British aircraft carrier (HMS Eagle).

A04104-A-SCH-B.png

- de Havilland DH82A Tiger Moth, No.9 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School, Royal Air Force Ansty, Warwickshire, England, October 1940.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - DH.82a Tiger Moth by Airfix - released - new boxing in 2023
1 hour ago, Homebee said:

a04104a-1.webp

V.P.

NIce. Not the Rapide I was hoping for. But this will save me from buying aftermarket decals for the box art version. I wonder what the other option(s) will be?

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - DH.82a Tiger Moth by Airfix - released - new boxing in 2024
Posted (edited)

In the Workbench "New Tiger Moth gains sea legs" - ref. A04104A - de Havilland D.H.82 Tiger Moth

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/new-tiger-moth-gains-sea-legs

https://uk.airfix.com/products/de-havilland-tiger-moth-a04104a

94753e80-8364-4a3a-9ebd-257a68807663.jpg

Scheme A – de Havilland DH82A Tiger Moth BB852/E, Britannia Flight, Britannia Royal Naval College, Roborough, Plymouth, Devon, 1st July 1965, the last biplanes to land on a British Aircraft Carrier (HMS Eagle).

bffc7b57-c066-43dd-994d-5bbc1409b458.jpg

7b2a57f3-37de-48f3-bf92-6d8692a5fbe2.jpg

Scheme B - de Havilland DH82A Tiger Moth N-9496/17, No.9 Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School, Royal Air Force Ansty, Warwickshire, England, October 1940.

e822c88d-a80d-4c89-98bd-37152cfaa14f.jpg

ddddabbf-e34d-41a6-886b-fe4366d3574a.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 12:10 PM, Homebee said:

the last biplanes to land on a British Aircraft Carrier (HMS Eagle).

I do like the box art and would love to have given this a go. In case anyone instinctively wonders "where's the hook",  all the usual problems are the other way round. A Tiger Moth is sub 30 knots at a three-point touchdown, and it looks from a google that Eagle, even throttled back to economy cruise, did 21 knots, plus it's rarely flat calm out to sea so  there was likely something like 25-30 knots over the deck. So, as I imagine it being done, the first problem is making sure you stay out of the island turbulence and the downwash off the back of the fandeck. The batman would probably have got bored and given up! The second problem is remembering to do a wheel landing in a place where the wires aren't, lest the Moth trip over them. I imagine they left them flat on the deck rather than raised, but you don't want to take the chance anyway. The third problem is having enough sturdy shipmates knowing where they can safely grab hold of the airframe without getting near the prop, so that when you throttle back and let the tail down it doesn't immediately blow back down the deck and fall off the back of the ship (no brakes on a Tiger). What a lark! 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

In case anyone instinctively wonders "where's the hook",  all the usual problems are the other way round.

I'm now imagining a Tiggy doing a SHAR-like approach from the side, thanks for that :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I do like the box art and would love to have given this a go. In case anyone instinctively wonders "where's the hook",  all the usual problems are the other way round. A Tiger Moth is sub 30 knots at a three-point touchdown, and it looks from a google that Eagle, even throttled back to economy cruise, did 21 knots, plus it's rarely flat calm out to sea so  there was likely something like 25-30 knots over the deck. So, as I imagine it being done, the first problem is making sure you stay out of the island turbulence and the downwash off the back of the fandeck. The batman would probably have got bored and given up! The second problem is remembering to do a wheel landing in a place where the wires aren't, lest the Moth trip over them. I imagine they left them flat on the deck rather than raised, but you don't want to take the chance anyway. The third problem is having enough sturdy shipmates knowing where they can safely grab hold of the airframe without getting near the prop, so that when you throttle back and let the tail down it doesn't immediately blow back down the deck and fall off the back of the ship (no brakes on a Tiger). What a lark! 

Last time I visited Portsmouth, there were two decent sized aircraft carriers alongside.

When HMS QE2 visited Oslo, I saw no wires on the deck - which seemed large enough to land a Tiger Moth on.

So maybe there will be another deck landing of a biplane. 

On 3/11/2024 at 12:26 AM, LN-KEH said:

When HMS QE2 visited Oslo, I saw no wires on the deck - which seemed large enough to land a Tiger Moth on.

QE2 was an ocean liner, the carrier is just HMS Queen Elizabeth. The flight deck, according to Google, is 280 metres long which is enough to land, given suitably trained deck hands to assist with deck handling (no brakes and on a hard surface that the tail skid cannot dig into, there would be practically no directional control once the tail was down). I am not sure how a Moth would react to going up the ski-jump, so the take-off might require the ship to heave-to with the wind on its stern, and the Moth to fly off the back instead of the front

What do people use for rigging wires in 1:48?

I was thinking of making the Tiggie and a Walrus and they don't look right "naked"

Tony 

I like floral wire too, for things which are not flat section. I also use monofilament fishing line, and Lycra thread. Sometimes for streamlined flat section RAF-wire rigging I use stretched-sprue techniques to make fine sections out of strips of thin sheet styrene stock. There are many examples of models rigged in these ways, suggest you search in the Work In Progress - Aircraft forum for build threads on Tiger Moths, Gladiators etc https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/52-work-in-progress-aircraft/

See also here for some basic technique 

https://ww1aircraftmodels.com/page6.html

Edited by Work In Progress