1/48 - DH.82a Tiger Moth by Airfix - released - new boxing in 2024

Homebee

42 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

currently building my Aeroclub Tiger Moth - will add an Airfix one if they do release it

Edit. Oh they do! Cool.

..and I have an Aurora/SMER one in my stash to do.   Will also get an Airfix one -   Gerry Anderson "Thunderbird SIx" decals please!!!

BTW, the artwork shown above is clearly for the Shuttleworth's Tiger Moth, as it is inaccurate if you want to build a 1932 CFS Aerobatic Team machine (see my Warpaint Tiger Moth book)

Edited by AMB
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AMB said:

BTW, the artwork shown above is clearly for the Shuttleworth's Tiger Moth, as it is inaccurate if you want to build a 1932 CFS Aerobatic Team machine (see my Warpaint Tiger Moth book)

That will be in keeping with Airfix' habit of releasing a 'warbird' type scheme for want of a better description with their new tool kits :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMB said:

..and I have an Aurora/SMER one in my stash to do.   Will also get an Airfix one -   Gerry Anderson "Thunderbird SIx" decals please!!!

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

That will be in keeping with Airfix' habit of releasing a 'warbird' type scheme for want of a better description with their new tool kits :) 

I've been quite glad they've done this TBH. Having young nephews being able to model the actual plane they've just seen and photographed of course saves a lot of explaining. It's also a good way of getting funds for the warbird owners who will be able to sell 'personalised' kits at shows.

I know a lot of people who are going to be very happy with this. Not my thing but I'm very tempted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SleeperService said:

I've been quite glad they've done this TBH. Having young nephews being able to model the actual plane they've just seen and photographed of course saves a lot of explaining. It's also a good way of getting funds for the warbird owners who will be able to sell 'personalised' kits at shows.

I know a lot of people who are going to be very happy with this. Not my thing but I'm very tempted.

I'm also a fan of this policy and think it makes great commercial sense for exactly the reasons you've stated.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AMB said:

.BTW, the artwork shown above is clearly for the Shuttleworth's Tiger Moth, as it is inaccurate if you want to build a 1932 CFS Aerobatic Team machine (see my Warpaint Tiger Moth book)

You could only build the Shuttleworth representation from a DH82A kit as the original CFS aircraft were DH82s not 82As (stringered rear upper fuselage, different cockpit doors, no wing slats, cowl differences, different oil tank, instrument panel layout, etc....).

Am presently building one of the original aircraft converted from the 1/72 kit.  There's more to it than you might think.

Fantastic to see this. Some bits look a bit chunky and over scale though, control horns and joy sticks spring to mind. No sign of an Aussie air filter either, so from a downunder perspective that is an issue.

Well done Airfix, now all we need is a 1/24 scale one!

Steve

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AMB said:

Will also get an Airfix one -   Gerry Anderson "Thunderbird SIx" decals please!!!  JBOT do it in 1/48th, already have a couple osfsets in 1/72 :)

6 hours ago, mekon said:

JBOT has ceased producing decals on account of illness sadly.

As for the kit it will be super( I hope) and all we need next is the Chipmunk in both primary scales (72 and 48)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, I did have a self-imposed ban on buying anymore biplane kits (one has to draw the line somewhere), it looks like this one will break that. Looks heaps better than the old Aurora kit. I'd be in for at least one.

Yes to the Chipmunk as well.

• Like 1