1/48 - DH.82a Tiger Moth by Airfix - released - new boxing in 2024

Homebee

7 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Some updates on the Airfix workbench....also some nice piccy’s of the Tiger Moth...

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-spitfire-kit-joins-the-airfix-ranks

cheers, Jan

Looking forward to this release. Unless I'm mis-reading what some of the text says in the article, that isn't actually a fictitious serial number on the CFS aircraft as a photo on page 15 in Stuart McKay's excellent Tiger Moth  book shows. Along with 3 other aircraft, K2583,84,86 and 87.   https://stellabooks.com/books/stuart-mckay/de-havilland-tiger-moth-legendary-biplane-trainer/1610168

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithjs said:

Looking forward to this release. Unless I'm mis-reading what some of the text says in the article, that isn't actually a fictitious serial number on the CFS aircraft as a photo on page 15 in Stuart McKay's excellent Tiger Moth  book shows. Along with 3 other aircraft, K2583,84,86 and 87.   https://stellabooks.com/books/stuart-mckay/de-havilland-tiger-moth-legendary-biplane-trainer/1610168

The scheme Airfix has chosen is the Shuttleworth Collection's Tiger Moth, but the markings are inaccurate for an authentic 1932 CFS Aerobatic Team machine. See the Guidelines Warpaint book on the Tiger Moth by me that shows the painting errors and pics of the actual team. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

Yep, looks good on the Workbench photos, would like to have seen one without Anti-spin strakes fitted, as none of the tigers around here have them and the tails look really delicate and slender.

Steve

It is trivially easy to delete them

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

Yep, looks good on the Workbench photos, would like to have seen one without Anti-spin strakes fitted, as none of the tigers around here have them and the tails look really delicate and slender.

Steve

At the Bolton show recently Airfix had 2 Moths on display 'in the flesh' - 1 with & 1 without the anti-spin thingies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AMB said:

The scheme Airfix has chosen is the Shuttleworth Collection's Tiger Moth, but the markings are inaccurate for an authentic 1932 CFS Aerobatic Team machine. See the Guidelines Warpaint book on the Tiger Moth by me that shows the painting errors and pics of the actual team. 

Ah, thanks Adrian, that's very useful. I'll have to see what I can do.. Much appreciated. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Ratch said:

Someone comments in that thread that "looks like they have supplied dH.82 parts - tailplane with no anti-spin strakes"

In case anyone is misled: no. 

That is not the difference between the tiny number of dH.82 airframes built (and the currently extant replica) and the standard dH.82a. The way the kit is tooled they would have had to provide completely new fuselage halves for the 82. The 82 has a stringered rear deck and different cockpit door arrangement. And lots of examples of the 82a were built without anti-spin strakes.

• Like 2

Why aren't you a member? Its free! And why comment on someone's comment on another site. I know he's a member here but its usual to reply to the original post and not on another forum. Or maybe you don't think the ATF is worthy of your input.

3 hours ago, Ratch said:

Why aren't you a member? Its free! And why comment on someone's comment on another site. I know he's a member here but its usual to reply to the original post and not on another forum. Or maybe you don't think the ATF is worthy of your input.

Because I have no interest in joining another site and I specifically did not want to reply to it in the a thread on a forum where I have no prior presence, but merely to ensure that no-one here  was misled by the information that you had pointed BM members towards. 

Also because it would seem rather ill-mannered to join a site as a new member simply to make a single post to contradict someone with no further intention of visiting the forum.  I have no way of knowing whether a member there is a member here unless their name is unusual or distinctive.

You may note that I carefully chose not to name or tag the person who posted the incorrect speculation as it is not about either me or that poster, it is simply about the history of an aircraft design and there is no reason at all to turn a question of fact into some kind of gladiatorial combat. As far as I am concerned there are no issues of personality or forum rivalry at stake, nor do I see what you are trying to achieve in attempting to escalate it.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ratch said:

Ratch, I have no idea what you're getting so upset about, I see nothing wrong in what Work In Progress did. Once the link to the ATF was posted, that information was available here, however indirectly, and thus, to me, it was quite valid to clarify the point on here. Just my opinion, and, after-all, there is enough going on in the world to get upset about at the moment!

Well I got mine today, great looking kit.

I spent an hour or so earlier this evening tacking the fuselage together with  white glue, just so I can take it apart and comparing that to tacking the Aeroclub one tacked together.

I mainly wanted to see what the engine cowling area looks like, and to see the tail plane layout.

So, the tail first as it is a little easier, well as shown above, you get two tail planes, i.e. one without strakes and one with. It is easier to fit the one without as it just fits on, the one with strakes you need to cut some of the rear fuselage away, Airfix supply a neat little jig to at least mark out the area that needs to be removed, but then you will need to cut, file and prepare to accept the part. So without getting too hung up on variation designations both options are available and an un-straked version is the easiest to do, so that does me fine, but I am sure with a few that I have planned both options will appear in time.

Now the engine cowling, well I think it looks quite good on a quick assembly, I do like some of the alignment and assembly of the parts, however I think a small, very small, amount of sanding and trimming will assist and benefit the shape and fit. On a quick look and comparing to the injection moulded kit that John (Aeroclub) did years ago the Airfix one is a little more chubby in the nose, however John also produced some nice 3 view drawings to go with his kit, well now this is where it gets interesting, the Airfix kit to be fair matches drawings a little better. On doing a quick compare to some photographs I have a feeling that with a few little tweaks and careful assembly that we may have a very good kit from Airfix, the built one in the Airfix magazine an issue or two back looked great, well I liked it. 
I am happy so far and will be doing a few more investigations and may even start building one properly, well even around all the pattern work I want to do on other projects in the next few weeks, I really fancy adding a built TIGER to my collection.

Have fun tigers.... and enjoy the TIGER

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mine is locked in quarantine at my closed LHS so I gave in and have ordered one online! I’ve already built the Albion 3 point Refueller to go with it! 

I’m praying to the modelling Gods that the inevitable civvy boxing has Brooklands markings!

TT