1/48 - DH.82a Tiger Moth by Airfix - released - new boxing in 2024

Homebee

Just purchased the Airfix mag with the article on the build review of the new 1/48th Tiger Moth.From the photo's in the magazine,it all looks fine,definetly not the punched in the face look from the picture from the toy fair.There is a jig provided in the kit to produce the anti-spin strakes on the tail,and apparently no mention is made of this in the destructions,but it is a pre release shot,which didn't include any transfers(decals!),so it may be in the production run.The only other thing IMHO is the method of attaching the mainplane struts,aka with a joining piece and a corresponding slot on the underside of the top wing.Also the cabane struts may be a tad too long and need trimming,but again this was a review done on the pre-production run of the kit,this may be corrected on the production runs.

Dave.

• Like 2

My bad on the cabane struts,apparently the interplane struts are a tad too long and need trimming back.Also the cockpit tub location is a bit vague and needs care in assembly.When joining the fuselage halves,there is a slight gap that needs filling at the point of the rear cockpit bulkhead.Engine panels are fine and incorporate the gaps found on the real thing.Again I must state that the build review in Airfix mag is of a pre-production issue,the production run may be slightly different.

The article in the Airfix magazine is also supplemented by 2 other articles that covers briefly the career of the Tiger Moth,and one article is more of a photo coverage that includes close up detail shots of the real thing.

At approx. £18.00 I think it will be a real winner for Airfix,and there is a myriad of schemes to choose from. 

Dave.

Edited by Alfisti

5 hours ago, bradleygolding said:

After the problems with the 1/72 version, I would hope that Airfix have made an effort to get this right. I have only seen the renders and that photo from the Toy Fair. Neither of which I have found very reassuring. Any more photos?

Steve

Plenty in the magazine.

On 2/18/2020 at 3:18 PM, LUCIANO007 said:

If the only problem is the nose, then should be fixable!

It being fixable isn't the issue.  With a one-second glance at images of the model anyone who has ever looked at a Tiggie can see that the nose is utterly unlike the real thing, so why, in the age of LIDAR scans and CAD design, should they have got it so badly wrong?  We shouldn't need to fix an issue like that.

I hope Mr. Adams had a hand in getting it right!

Edited by NorthBayKid

On 2/18/2020 at 1:20 PM, Work In Progress said:

That is certainly one of the subjects, as was the He.111 and one of the big helicopters, but I think the last LIDAR subject to be released was the Buccaneer.

The MiG-17 was LIDAR as well; that is the latest kit to be released that used LIDAR technology.

5 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

It being fixable isn't the issue.  With a one-second glance at images of the model anyone who has ever looked at a Tiggie can see that the nose is utterly unlike the real thing, so why, in the age of LIDAR scans and CAD design, should they have got it so badly wrong?  We shouldn't need to fix an issue like that.

I hope Mr. Adams had a hand in getting it right!

The pictures in the build review in the Airfix magazine mentioned above look exactly right to me, no " squat nose" at all.  Photos are large, all angles and close up too.  Getting our own kits will tell but I wonder if in the build featured, cutting the lower bracing bar off the wing struts changed the rake and then that in turn could mean strut lengths and cabanes would be put out of synch.  The Tamiya Swordfish has a similar arrangement and is easily cleaned up to show no trace on the finished model and the wing rake is perfect as a result.  I suspect I will build mine as designed and blend in the lower bar and slot if a test fit shows the fit to be correct.

• Like 2

I suggest withholding judgement prior to seeing the actual kit.

Rendered images can be misleading. A rendered image's appearance could be distorted from reality due to the focal point being too close or too far from the model. There's a post on this forum showing a rendered model and the actual article; I saw a noticeable difference between the two that was quite jarring at first.

• Like 3

Well I hope these pictures will help, draw your own conclusions......I think it looks very nice. (I have a few ideas for a few aftermarket parts)

Instead of some of you getting a copy of the magazine, yes very easy no mater where you now live..... you can buy one and down load it, and accessing the facts for yourselves you juts like to go round in circles and slag things off. IF YOU CARE so much about a subject then put you hand in your pockets and get the magazine, there are loads more great pictures in this issue of the Airfix magazine.

(I once again think there is SO MUCH negativity especially for items not even released, and wandering of thoughts and ideas....but I suppose in this internet world we should be used to it)

Enjoy your hobby, if you do not like something for what ever the reason is then just walk away, no one is forcing any one to buy any kit on the market, or any accessory, after market part, decal sheet or any other item. I too am often disappointed when I see a subject done and then I realise that it is far short of my personal standards, well then thee are three options accept it for what it is, correct modify it (I dabble in aftermarket accessories to fix or improve what I think I can) or just dump the kit or the item purchased, mostly somebody will buy it or accept it as GIFT!!!!

Tiger 1

Tiger 2

Tiger 3

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Very discouraging negativity, especially when those responsible don't resapond when someone shows evidence that the perceived fault ain't there. Anyway, I have one advance niggle that may be unfounded, and that's the strut tie bars. I'm a serial biplane builder, and so prefer to paint as many components as I can before getting the top wing on, which is why I don't like tie bars. Along with the moulded on jigs on some of the other Airfix biplanes, I don't think they really help the less deranged and focussed builder, and when the centre section struts are either moulded to the fuselage (think Matchbox and 1/72nd), or have self-orienting due to good design as on the (Airfix BE2C) then totally unneccessary, as the top wing is aligned by simply gluing to the centre section struts and the interplane struts are slipped in later.

Still, can't wait for this kit,

Paul.

• Like 5

Less deranged modeller :D :D made me smile!

I think to be fair to some posters there was just some concern, not actual criticism as I think we can all agree that the render GAVE THE IMPRESSION that the Tiger had been at an all you can eat buffet. The photos, posted above (thank you) seem to assuage any fears and its a fair point that renders sometimes give a false impression. Personally I have no issue with the strut bar, with a smear of PPP it will be damn near invisible anyway,  the alternative I guess was the sacrificial strut links they used on the 72 which was jolly clever (pain to get the nubs off though) - I think from the looks of things it might benefit from thinning the cowling edges but no biggie - (and they give the option of open sbd crew doors, every Tiger I've ever seen and flown in crew get in from the port but again no probs) and I'm perplexed they didnt mould the strakes in situ rather than the other way round, but it shouldn't be difficult to add them and the jig is a nice touch.

I can't understand the criticism of the 72nd version which is damn near perfect IMHO and I've built loads, having been around Tigers since I were a nipper (first flight in one aged 7!)

I think we're all REALLY looking forward to the kit which is great and hopefully that means they sell a shedload - I'm looking forward to the civvy boxing too and just hope they do the iconic Brooklands scheme not ACDC again!

Having picked up a (now quite hard to find) Airfix Albion refueller, the dio is already brewing!

Bring on March!

TT 

P.S. I think I recall reading that they werent happy with the first tool and scrapped it for a redesign so maybe the renders were from the intial design but the box contents will be version 2 - if Johns involved I'm happy, he knows more about Moth's than Geoffrey de Havilland!

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 3

Thanks for posting the link Jan, to be fair both of the built up versions look very nice indeed! I hope they include the yellow bands on the decal sheet, they would be ideal for the scheme I'm planning - I think they must be as in the photos of the build you can see the gap on the leading edges, touch up of Humbrol 24 and jobs a good un!

ATB

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 1