1/48 - DH.82a Tiger Moth by Airfix - released - new boxing in 2024

Homebee

SBS Model - ref. SBS48063 - de Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth rigging wire set for Airfix kit 

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3006379566049084&id=117380071615729

New stainless steel etched bracing wire set!

https://sbsmodel.com/model/SBS-48063/de-havilland-dh-82-tiger-moth-rigging-wire-set-for-airfix

91077197-3006378876049153-55839146754787

V.P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Interesting ‘upgrade’.... I’m building my first at the moment and very impressed. The fuselage strake jig is very clever and works well and lots of parts are a push fit. 

if I were starting from scratch again I would look to hollow out 

the two rectangular depressions behind each seat as they should be open and wire up the engine.also an inverted U shape thin piece of plasticard behind the seat would help make the seams flush easier than filling.

the etch instrument panels wouldn’t be better than the kit ones IMHO (which have individual instrument decals anyway -the P11 compass housings just need painting grey not black) 

The seatbelts are a useful addition though I’m not sure the seat is required- equally not sure what some of the other bits are for... 

Be interested to see if the wheel masks fit over the DH logo hubs...

TT

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 4:01 AM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Interesting ‘upgrade’.... I’m building my first at the moment and very impressed. The fuselage strake jig is very clever and works well and lots of parts are a push fit. 

if I were starting from scratch again I would look to hollow out 

the two rectangular depressions behind each seat as they should be open and wire up the engine.also an inverted U shape thin piece of plasticard behind the seat would help make the seams flush easier than filling.

the etch instrument panels wouldn’t be better than the kit ones IMHO (which have individual instrument decals anyway -the P11 compass housings just need painting grey not black) 

The seatbelts are a useful addition though I’m not sure the seat is required- equally not sure what some of the other bits are for... 

Be interested to see if the wheel masks fit over the DH logo hubs...

TT

Looks to me like there might be a bit of fuel tank in there?

Yep could be but the kit one is fine! 

as I progress with my build the more impressed I am but fit is very precise and doesn’t reward the cack handed )ie me) apart from the fuselage (Which did have some gaps) you could put the rest together with just superglue 

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT

Mine arrived, it looks about right. 

I'll be finishing it as G-ANNG, until last year at Old Sarum, where I flew in it. 

spacer.png

I'm in the front! 

Sadly, with the prohibition of GA from Old Sarum by the owner the A/C has departed. Unfortunate, as I wanted to properly match the colours! 

Year built:    1942
Construction Number (C/N):    85504

So she is 10 years older than me!! 

I have a full video of the flight, provided by Go Fly, the people who sell flights in the NNG. So lots of detail. 

• Like 4

Print Scale is to release a 1/48th DH.82b Queen Bee conversion set

Source: https://www.facebook.com/printscale/photos/a.711193128896622/3485542741461633/

Coming soon  #ps_resin ️DeHavilland 82b Queen Bee Scale 1/48 #printscale 👀 Kit contents: Resin details, Quality decals, Photoetched

97231326-3485542748128299-78405620598371

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, Homebee said:

Print Scale is to release a 1/48th DH.82b Queen Bee conversion set

Source: https://www.facebook.com/printscale/photos/a.711193128896622/3485542741461633/

V.P.

I’m about to commence a build of the 1/32 Matchbox Tiger Moth and convert it into a Queen Bee. I did this conversion a couple of years ago and painted the underside yellow. Were some painted silver as in this picture ?

• Like 1

Edited: Many were just plain aluminium dope all over when they were new, being pre-war production and delivery.

1434578131960.jpg

1434589290538.jpg

The last one I can find on the basis of a quick scrabble round is LF867. It's likely at that stage they were being delivered in standard Tiger Moth colours of the period, which would be low-demarcation DE/DG over yellow, though there is some evidence that in use, operators used to daub all sorts on them.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

The spotter aircraft launched at the River Plate was a Fairey Sea Fox. Note the film makers attempt at representing the Sea Fox's Napier Dagger exhausts on the Tiger Moth/Queen Bee's cowling.

Actually I think ther are two differnet featured aircraft. The pre launch briefing surroundings (where the Queen Bee has obvius add-on wooden block exhausts) and the launch which is from a different setting and may well be a Sea Fox ( note the straight leading edges).

9 hours ago, gunzo said:

Actually I think ther are two differnet featured aircraft. The pre launch briefing surroundings (where the Queen Bee has obvius add-on wooden block exhausts) and the launch which is from a different setting and may well be a Sea Fox ( note the straight leading edges).

Fascinating, and what a beautiful scan of the film that is. Super sharp and the colours are lovely on it.

That is actually a hacked-about Tiger Moth rather than a Queen Bee used for the process shot of the crew talking to the dispatcher groundcrew ready for launch, and a model shot of a Seafox when it actually wobbles off the turret platform.

New dedicated CMK sets on approach

Source: https://www.facebook.com/specialhobby/posts/956156904824670

- ref. 4407 - de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth Cockpit Correction Set
- ref. 4409 - de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth Luggage Box
- ref. 4410 - de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth Exterior Set

- ref. 4411 - de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth Wheels

23.png

20.png

106589834-956156734824687-26601438999517

V.P.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Model Art decals - ref. 48/011

- Royal Navy: de Havilland DH.82a Tiger Moth - RNAS Culdrose & RNAS Yeovilton Station Flights, Britannia Royal Naval College.
- Armée de l'Air: de Havilland DH.82a Tiger Moth - EC2/595 ( Vichy Air Force in Indochina), Cognac & Meknès (Morocco)Pilot Schools.

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MA4811

MA4811.jpg

V.P.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

This lovely little kit arrived today. I think I'd like to do an Australian rendering on the civil register, possibly prewar. Better get on the hunt for suitable decals.

This needy modeller, isolated in lockdown, would like to acknowledge the postal services and couriers, who brave wind, rain, hail, unappreciative customers and nasty dogs to deliver the parcels that help keep this one sane.