Natural Metal Finish

prosser

I've returned to modelling after a long break, and - thanks to ALDI - now have a P51D to build courtesy of Santa.  What is the best NMF I can use??  I'm a dyed in the wool brush painter by the way (or should that be dyed in the bristle??!!) . 

Back in my younger days I avoided NMF like the plague, as I always felt dear old Humbrol #11 never really dried properly.  I did have some success with another Humbrol metal finish, but I can't remember the number - could it have been numbered in the 190's??

Any suggestions welcome, although I can only get Humbrol, Revell and Tamiya colours locally...…..

Many thanks

Martyn

The problem with natural metal finishes is that are characterised by the presence of panels reflecting the light differently, so a single paint can not be used to reproduce this effect. There are a number of great paints available for airbrush use but there's little for brush painters.

One simple option is using metallic rattle cans. By choosing 3-4 shades it's possible to have a model with enough variations in the surfaces to look decently realistic. Many use Halford's acrylic paints, these are coded according to the ranges in the various car manufacturers.

A bit better is IMHO the use of specific modelling paints, Tamiya and Humbrol for example. One even better options are Humbrol's Metalcote cans, this paint can be buffed to different levels of shine after being sprayed on the model, so representing tonal variations on the various panels. Metalcote paints are also available in tins, brush the paint on the model and then buff.

If you can lay your hands on Vallejo paints, there are a couple of products in their range that can work pretty well for an NMF finish. First are the Model Air metallic colors. They are available in a few shades and can be mixed together to achieve as many variations you like. These paints are meant for airbrushing but the metallics can be applied using a brush. Just apply light coats and wait for a coat to be well dry before applying the second (usually only takes 10 minutes).

The second product is the Metal Color range. These are fantastic metallic paints, again designed with the airbrush users in mind but can also be brushpainted with success. The range includes a good number of shades and they can be mixed too. Again, light coats are the key

There are a few other options around, but I'll let those who tried them comment on them.

P.S. mind, wartime P-51s had most of the wing covered in silver paint, so wing panels are generally uniform in shade