This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Moving Time Again

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does it come with a “Get out of jail free card” at least ? 😉 One freebie so to say.

No, and why would you need one?  Being a horse's patootie doesn't seem your style anyway :shrug:   Plus, we're usually pretty well clued up as to whether someone's actively being a pest and when someone's just having a bad day, so decent people usually get benefit of the doubt for an out-of-character incident, within reason of course ;)

12 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Spoilsport. :tomato:

We have a whole sub-forum devoted to you in the Mod Cave Frank.  I use it as a soporific at times when I can't get to sleep :wicked:

I donated to show my support. This place has overtaken my usual haunts as my favourite model forum. The atmosphere and pace of things just feels great!

On 04/02/2019 at 10:17, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Does it come with a “Get out of jail free card” at least ? 😉 One freebie so to say.

You get you own cell and don’t have to share

In another turn-about, we're probably now going to bring forward the move again, as the expected brick-wall of our server software versions has finally been reached.  We need to upgrade one or two of the server packages the forum software uses, and rather than do that, we might as well just move to the new server with the correct packages already installed and a bit more breathing room.  I'll keep you up-to-date with timings, but it's going to be sooner now, irrespective of the SSD space. :shrug:

5 hours ago, Mike said:

In another turn-about, we're probably now going to bring forward the move again, as the expected brick-wall of our server software versions has finally been reached.  We need to upgrade one or two of the server packages the forum software uses, and rather than do that, we might as well just move to the new server with the correct packages already installed and a bit more breathing room.  I'll keep you up-to-date with timings, but it's going to be sooner now, irrespective of the SSD space. :shrug:

Dang! I may need to get another bottle of rum. I've drank about half of the last one since your last move announcement.

Chris

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:29 PM, SA80A2AR said:

build more models?

Yeah, but whats the point of that ?

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Dang! I may need to get another bottle of rum. I've drank about half of the last one since your last move announcement.

We'll try not to announce it many more times <dashes out to buy shares in rum>

Just when we thought we'd got a reprieve from moving PDQ, along comes a new version of the forum software to urinate on our chips.  Such is life :shrug:

3 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Yeah, but whats the point of that ?

something something dusting? :hmmm:

Small donation just made from another very appreciative member.

Terry

Firstly, thanks to everyone that has emptied their pockets to donate to the server fund lately - it's all much appreciated and helps to keep the doors open. :yes:

After many delays in getting going, we've now got the new server, and just need to shuffle all our old data across, which I'm discussing with Support at present.  Once we've got everything covered off to our satisfaction, we'll begin the migration process, which will mean taking the forum offline so that no posts will get orphaned in the move, and so that everything copies across properly.  It will also take a wee while to propagate the changes to the DNS record (the internet's address book), so we may be offline for between 6 and 24 hours at a rough guess.  A lot of it depends on where in the DNS propagation cycle we are when the changes are made, as well as YOUR ISP's DNS schedule, so some people might be able to access the site quickly, while others won't initially.  It's how internet things go and we have little control over that.  Prepare a comfy cushion, a book, bottle of booze/coffee, dare I say a model? and some conversational gambits to try out on your family.  Phrases like "So, what have you been up to lately?", "Why are you packing all your clothes?" and "Oh my goodness, who are those small people??" could be useful here.

So if the site disappears suddenly, check out Facebook or Twitter and look out for our announcement.  If there's no announcement, it's worth putting another 50p in the meter before you start fretting, especially if all the lights went out at the same time :D

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 29

Right! I'm off to the liquor store!

Chris

Thanks for letting us know.

Oh, my, what will I do with the three or four models I will build in those 6 to 24 hours!

The humanity....

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

Phrases like "So, what have you been up to lately?", "Why are you packing all your clothes?" and "Oh my goodness, who are those small people??" could be useful here.

Love this part 🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Donated a bit more today.

Cheers

the poor wee Hamster is finally been retired after all these years, so long little fella!!!! We won't forget you...... :crying:

......... OOoooOo nice bright shiny lights and stuff....:wub: 

If I have to talk to real people, I may need to go back to the liquor store!

Chris

A big thank you to those members who have made a donation towards the running costs. As you can guess, it isn’t cheap and as we grow so do the monthly costs to our hosts, so every little bit helps to keep us going ;)

why did I pick this week for a few days off work :doh:

Good luck with the move and see you all on 'the other side' ;)

12 hours ago, Mike said:

and some conversational gambits to try out on your family.  Phrases like "So, what have you been up to lately?", "Why are you packing all your clothes?" and "Oh my goodness, who are those small people??" could be useful here.

Or you could resort to my comment as a four week newly-wed when, having bought my first set of spectacles, I returned home from the opticians and said "Good grief, I haven't  married you have I" :yikes:. That should negate the need for any further use of the above phrases.

I'm pleased to say that Mrs N did see the funny side though, and 37 years later we are still together :heart: ... well I think that it is her, excuse me whilst I go to check. 

Posted (edited)

SWMBO asked me “Now what am i going to do with you ?” Now that i don't have you all to talk to and read about. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I didn’t even know we were moving, so appreciative of the site and the work the hamsters and guardians do behind the scenes. Sent a donation in, hope it can contribute in some way.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

I didn’t even know we were moving, so appreciative of the site and the work the hamsters and guardians do behind the scenes. Sent a donation in, hope it can contribute in some way.

You're a very nice man. ^_^ We're not moving far, just to another black box in a big room of rows of boxes that is the server farm where we live.  We may even be moving next door to the current server, but we'll never know because we never get to see them :)