This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Moving Time Again

We've only gone and outgrown our server again, haven't we? :doh: With the growth of the membership, the database that holds all our waffle, the Walkaround section, reviews, space taken up serving all the data securely, and general size of the forum, we're full.  I also think we need a bit more processing power, so we're taking the opportunity to move to a newer server with more cores, a faster clock (makes the day go quicker!), and four times the storage we have now.  As you can possibly remember if you've been around long enough, this will mean we'll be down for a wee while, mainly to prevent any of our gibberish from being lost during the move of the data, but also to give us a static picture of the site to take a copy of.

We're not 100% certain when this will be for obvious reasons, and we'll try to give you as much warning as possible, but you will have to find something else to do for a little while during the process, so start thinking of things so you don't have to interact with family members, colleagues or other nearby people.  You could perhaps take up a hobby, or print off a sign that warns people you're having Britmodeller Withdrawals, and not to approach you suddenly in case they startle you.  Whatever you decide to do while we're offline, you can be sure that we'll be goading the hamsters as hard as possible in order to be back online as soon as we can.

Now might be as good a time to remind you that we've always admired you, and think that you're one of life's excellent people. :wub: Yes... we want something from you :wicked: Many of you have donated in the past to help support the costs of our server, and some of you even donate regularly, which is a huge help.  The coffers have become somewhat deflated over the last year however, due in part to the exchange rate of the £ being dans le toilette, but also probably because the donate button isn't as prominent as it once was.  Just in case you've no idea where it is now, and you haven't spent up over Christmas, here's where you'll find it - top right of the screen on Desktop, at least :)

donate.jpg

Watch this space for more info down the line.  Wish us luck! :unsure:

Actually you could avoid moving if you get rid of all these foreign chappies who are registering in droves and humiliating us with their skills. This is BRITmodeller after all. If Nigel was dead he would be turning in his grave!🇬🇧

10 minutes ago, John R said:

Actually you could avoid moving if you get rid of all these foreign chappies who are registering in droves and humiliating us with their skills. This is BRITmodeller after all. If Nigel was dead he would be turning in his grave!🇬🇧

:blink: I'm at a loss for words... I'm 99.95% sure you're joking, but lately it's anyone's guess.  :pray:

Hi Mike, not a fan of PayPal, will it let you pay without having an account? 

5 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Hi Mike, not a fan of PayPal, will it let you pay without having an account? 

Yes you can via credit card.

Thx for your support.

JUlien

Just sent some funds for more hampster food. Thanks, Mike and the Mods for all your time and effort.👍

Did the same.

Please know that your 'behind the scenes' efforts are greatly appreciated!

Hope the move goes as smoothly as is humanly possible. B)

Cheers

Hi Mike,

Just “renewed my subscription”.

Thanks very much for everything you and the guys put into my favourite modelling “magazine”, I’d be lost without it (but I might get more modelling done!).

Cheers Richard

Hi Mike

Just sent some funds across to help with the move

Many thanks for all you and your team do behind the scenes for us

Ian :) 

22 hours ago, Mike said:

:blink: I'm at a loss for words... I'm 99.95% sure you're joking, but lately it's anyone's guess.  :pray:

I should have put it in green ink. That would have increased your confusion. Here's a smiley to put your mind at rest😄

I'm also just about to pay my subs

John

Thanks guys. :yes: I'm not looking forward to the move myself, but it has to be done or we'd grind to a halt and we'd all have to and talk to people instead :unsure:

I've got the spec of the new system nailed down now, so I can pull out the pin on that, and once it's stood up in its empty state, we can think about filling it up with goodies. :)

Posted (edited)

Darned if I can find the donate icon, on my android phone.

I just registered with PayPal and achieved my first purchase.... This is a big deal for the likes of me...

so I'm feeling "enabled "!

(Later...) OK, found it! ( : (!)

Edited by rob Lyttle

Geeze! I'm getting the shakes already. Thankfully, I do have something with which to pass the time while the forum is down.

36007270906_4b98dd9476_b.jpg

Chris

22 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Thankfully, I do have something with which to pass the time while the forum is down.

Isn't [that thing to do while the forum is down] called modelling?

5 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Isn't [that thing to do while the forum is down] called modelling?

Not sure if I can remember that far back :hmmm:

29 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Geeze! I'm getting the shakes already. Thankfully, I do have something with which to pass the time while the forum is down.

36007270906_4b98dd9476_b.jpg

Chris

Britmodeller cannot recommend that modellers engage in the consumption of alcohol during downtime under the health & safety in the workshop regulations 1452.  Consumption of alcohol is injurious to health. Be safe – don't drink and drive (you might spill it).  Men should not drink more than 14 units of alcohol each week, the same level as for women. This equals 6 pints of average strength beer a week, which would mean a low risk of illnesses such as liver disease or cancer. The previous guidelines were 21 units for men and 14 units for women per week.   YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR BAR TAB.

I only use it for medicinal purposes. There have been times I've been so medicated that I can't walk properly and have memory loss.

Chris

Good luck with the change to the new server, I get worried backing up my iPad!! Thanks for all the “behind the scenes” work, I’m sure that everybody appreciates the work that must go into keeping Britmodeller in such fine fettle.

John R, we could consider setting up “Ausmodeller” (would that be “Ausexit”?) but changing the back room staff as much as we change Prime Ministers would get to be such a pain, can we stay in please?

On 1/7/2019 at 3:23 PM, Julien said:

Thx for your support.

JUlien

Hi Julien, I`ve donated before through PP without joining, but when I just tried via the Donate button I can`t. I just get to a Paypal log in or register now page ? Any idea what I`m doing wrong ?

TIA Russ

On 1/7/2019 at 3:23 PM, Julien said:

Thx for your support.

JUlien

Just tried to donate Julian - you cannot, all you get is the sign up bit and i totally refuse to get a Pay pal account.  It's foreign and you have no idea where your details are going

Dennis

3 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Just tried to donate Julian - you cannot, all you get is the sign up bit and i totally refuse to get a Pay pal account.  It's foreign and you have no idea where your details are going

Dennis

Dennis there are (or should be) two buttons a Donate one, and a Donate with card one. The "with card" one allows a donation without setting up a paypal account.

Julien

I can only find the donate through paypal button and I don't have an account.

14 hours ago, russ c said:

Hi Julien, I`ve donated before through PP without joining, but when I just tried via the Donate button I can`t. I just get to a Paypal log in or register now page ? Any idea what I`m doing wrong ?

TIA Russ

OK, managed to do it from the donate button on the site home page. I`d swear that the card option wasn`t there last night as that`s the first place I tried from. I couldn`t do it from the donate button on any other page without joining or logging in to PP just now.

Russ

On 12/01/2019 at 11:31, Silver Fox said:

I can only find the donate through paypal button and I don't have an account.

I believe that if you click the link, it presents you with an option to use a card.  I've not used that option myself, but others have managed it :yes:

On 1/8/2019 at 4:57 PM, Mike said:

Britmodeller cannot recommend that modellers engage in the consumption of alcohol during downtime under the health & safety in the workshop regulations 1452.  Consumption of alcohol is injurious to health. Be safe – don't drink and drive (you might spill it).  Men should not drink more than 14 units of alcohol each week, the same level as for women. This equals 6 pints of average strength beer a week, which would mean a low risk of illnesses such as liver disease or cancer. The previous guidelines were 21 units for men and 14 units for women per week.   YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR BAR TAB.

a-wine-one-glass.jpg