The Carpet Monster - a possible solution

Robert Stuart

Last night I was trimming the driver's hatch hinge of my Hummel - essentially a piece of pale grey plastic about 21/2 mm x 1 mm - and twice I dropped it onto a beige mat with very similar in tone values.

The first time took a bit of searching until I hit upon the idea off using the torch on my mobile phone.

My second search was much quicker.

Basically, I shone the torch on the carpet, sweeping it so the angle of beam kept changing.  Both times using this technique, I quickly discovered the hinge (which is now glued in place).

Obviously, this technique isn't guaranteed to work, but it made my life less stressful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I redecorated my “modelling” room I convinced the mrs to let me put down a very light coloured vinyl floor covering... less hoovering. Coupled with the bright light method mentioned above  the carpet monster is more docile

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used to use the same technique applied to finding contacts.  Get and old stocking (make sure its old to forego the wrath of your girlfriend/wife/significant other, or just buy one specifically for this purpose) with a tight weave, place it over the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner and wand over the carpet.  The part will get stuck on the stocking instead of getting sucked up (make sure the part of the stocking you are using has no holes of course) and voila, I've saved all parts previously thought lost to the jaws of the carpet monster like this before.  Since then I have laminate on the floor where I model which is light in colour so I can find everything easily that i drop.  :)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

It occurred to me that undercoating with white paint could in theory make the parts glow under a blacklight. I'll definitely give it a try the next time I'm working with photoetch.

Ross.