Junkers K-16, 1921, Scratchbuilt 1/72

A build from 5 years ago:

Another example of how blind can the establishment be regarding a new , perfectly viable concept: a metal monoplane in 1921, the Golden Era of the Biplane Dinosaurs.

How can you not be touched by the old photographs of these chubby, lumbering, stumpy monoplanes making their way through grass airstrips. Interestingly enough, the metal, corrugated skin monoplane formula that this plane embodied was being advanced since early in aviation times by Hugo Junkers, a brilliant man that is more often (and more unfortunately) associated with WWII, obscuring the fact that he despised and rejected the nazis, who ousted him from his own company in the 30s.

The basic design configuration of the K-16 (1921) -a two-passenger plane- is a bit reminiscent of the Focke Wulk A16. The FW A16 flew later on (1924) although with three/four passengers.

Also following the same formula is the Russian Tupolev Ant-2, of 1924 (two passengers).

The K-16 is a very good-looking little feeder airliner that reached many countries and ended up even in Argentina and Uruguay (pity I couldn't find more on the Argentinean one, only a bad photo on the Pavlovcic booklet on local registrations).
The little chubby machine is wearing in this case the livery for the 1925 Rundflug.

Again -as in many other occasions- my gratitude goes to fellow modelers -among them Matias Hagen and Sönke Schulz- for their help with this project.

56.JPG

57.JPG

58.JPG

59.JPG

61.JPG

62.JPG

63.JPG

64.JPG

68.JPG

69.JPG

70.JPG

71.JPG

72.JPG

73.JPG

74.JPG

32.JPG

35.JPG

37.JPG

51.JPG

• Like 27

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excuse me, but how did you manage to create the wing corrugations?

Good question. I've seen this being attempted elsewhere and it hasn't worked. I need to know a good method for a number of Schneider aircraft .

Stuart

Another beautiful aeroplane very nicely produced by Moa again. I've thanked you recently for bringing these unknown (well, to me) planes to a wider audience and I continue to offer gratitude for each one you show.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Another stunner Moa. Certainly illustrates the Junkers line well with the corrugated metal used though to the Ju-52. I love the subtle shape of the wing and the unusual tail shape that looks like the rear part is missing (I know it isn't).

So are we going to see a G.38 out of you? I have a book about Junkers somewhere and they built any number of corrugated metal types all of which would appeal to your skillsI, sure!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excuse me, but how did you manage to create the wing corrugations?

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Good question.

3 hours ago, Silenoz said:

also interested in that corrugated skin effect and how you did it... 

Evergreen and Plastruct both sell styrene sheets (mainly directed to the model railroad market) that have a "corrugated" surface in a number of types. You have to select the ones that better fit your particular project regarding pitch, height, pattern, thickness, etc.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Baldy said:

So are we going to see a G.38 out of you? I have a book about Junkers somewhere and they built any number of corrugated metal types all of which would appeal to your skillsI, sure!

Cheers

Malcolm

I have the book.

I mulled about a G-38 many a time. Perhaps when I grow up.

• Like 1