New Eduard FW190 kits and the Quickboost Trop cowling 1/48

anj4de

Hello all

Just wanted to share quickly what I was onto today. I wanted a FW190A-4/trop but did not have the drive yet to buy the super nice but rather expensive Deluxe set of the early Würgers. So I got myself the A-4 in the WE edition (14EUR+shipping) and a Quickboost trop cowling. This cowling was made for the old Eduard kits, the ones with the full engines and the thick tail. The biggest issue is to get the engine parts of the new kit that are normally glued into the fuselage halfs to fit into the one piece and rather thick Quickboost cowling. I had to cut the engine down all the way to the cylinder heads to achive a fit. Glued in with lots of CA glue and adjusted with the fan wheel part it worked out ok. On the lower wing all the support structure for the lower cowling part have to be removed, it does not fit into the Quickboost cowling. The cowling itself required some minor sanding here and there. Worst part was that the Quickboost cowling is almost circular (are the old kits like that?) and hence was too wide but not high enough. I installed a spreader from sprue inside and under hot water the cowling allowed getting squeezed a bit unti it did fit. Here are some pics of the bird so far... With my usual luck Eduard will come up with a trop version as a stand alone kit very soon which will make this surgery obsolete but until then... I am now after some decals, the trop filter birds were rather rare it seems.

cheers

Uwe

20190106-232339.jpg

20190106_232349.jpg 

20190106_232422.jpg

20190106_232436.jpg

• Like 2

Want a tropical version? How about using DML 5506 Fw190A-5"special"? A small sprue including tropical filter and high-altitude version supercharger intake(the latter ones are totally wrong).

I'll try to fit DML part to Eduard cowling sometime.

By the way, 5506 cannot be built as A-5 unless much effort on outer wing gun bulges....Cowling part is A-8's, cause MG17 gun chutes differ from MG131, it's hard to fix...Only spare part available from Eduard new mold A-8.

Hi

I have a few of those Trimaster, Dragon, Italeri, Revell 190s, all very nice kits from the same molds, and I remember very well how hysterical we got when the Trimasters first showed up in the late 80ties (yes, I am that old), but in comparison to the new Eduard 190 family they are from lightyears ago. Also the fit was never good and it did not get better with the molds wearing out. After Trimaster there was Tamiya, a nice kit with the well known LG issue, then the newer Hasegawa versions which I still like very much...if they were not soo bloddy expensive, but now with the new Eduard family, that are also rather cheap in comparison, I think we can stick to one brand which provides it all. I hope they will re-do their -Ds as well even though the Hobbyboss 190D-9 is a very nice kit IMHO...and also very cheap! 🙂

cheers

Uwe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anj4de said:

Hi

I have a few of those Trimaster, Dragon, Italeri, Revell 190s, all very nice kits from the same molds, and I remember very well how hysterical we got when the Trimasters first showed up in the late 80ties (yes, I am that old), but in comparison to the new Eduard 190 family they are from lightyears ago. Also the fit was never good and it did not get better with the molds wearing out. After Trimaster there was Tamiya, a nice kit with the well known LG issue, then the newer Hasegawa versions which I still like very much...if they were not soo bloddy expensive, but now with the new Eduard family, that are also rather cheap in comparison, I think we can stick to one brand which provides it all. I hope they will re-do their -Ds as well even though the Hobbyboss 190D-9 is a very nice kit IMHO...and also very cheap! 🙂

cheers

Uwe

I can agree with you, I have the Dragon 190D, and all the parts are covered with blemishes, the left fuselage half is warped, and the detail on the ailerons is almost invicible (it's there though). And it has the easily fixeable gap between the wings and the fuselage. The HB Dora in 48 is beautiful, everything drops into place with minor cleaning, it has the engine (missing on the Dragon kit), and as you mentioned, it's cheap.

Edited by Sturmovik