This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Soumcouy

HMS Exeter colours - Battle of the River Plate

Hi

I wonder what were the colours of HMS Exeter at the time of the Battle of the River Plate. I believed it was overall light grey, but looking at the pictures of the return to home port, I am not so sure. The hull seems much darker than the bridge, and the turrets, and the torpedo tubes, almost white. Moroever, we can find in the IWM website an artwork from C. E. Cundall, painter, depicting the arrival at Plymouth after the River Plate action : the hull is medium grey, the superstructure is beige (beige ?) and light grey, the turrets and torpedo tubes are almost white, and the funnels seem buff. So, overall light grey, really ?

I am sure someone will help.

She was overall 507C before and during the battle.

She was hastily and partially repainted in a patchwork of darker colours in the Falklands afterwards for her journey back to England to disguise the extent of the damage.

HTH

Thanks a lot for this definitive answer about overall 507C and for the explanation about her patchwork style after the battle (she is much prettier in 507C by the way). Thanks for sharing this interesting photograph.

The inimitable @dickrd has been quietly looking in and has provided this additional image which should prove categorically that Exeter was in overall 507C at the Battle of the River Plate:

d2e551b7-b54c-4635-a0a1-62a862f03528.jpg

Seen here bobbing about in the Falklands showing off the damage she collected.

What was the colour of the Walrus airplanes on the HMS Exeter in December 1939?  Silver as in prewar pictures or camouflaged as indicated in Trumpeter’s instructions?

What was the color for the letters "EX" on the turret tops? Did the letters on the aft turret read from starboard?

Thank you for the photo!

TIA, Richard

Logically not.  As these were for identification from the air, it would make sense for those on the aft turret to be read from the rear, i.e. port to starboard, whereas those at the front of the ship to be read from the front i.e starboard to port.   Given the third turret, then one could have been read from the side, fore to aft or vice versa.  However it seems that the RN did not entirely appreciate such elementary logic, and preferred to have them read from the bridge, despite this offering perhaps the poorest view to an aerial observer.

I wonder if anyone has had a chance to compare the Trumpeter kit to the plans available from Profile Morskie? If they match then any errors in the plans will translate onto the model as I have a suspicion that Trumpeter may be using the Morskies as reference.

Mike.

"preferred to have them read from the bridge, despite this offering perhaps the poorest view to an aerial observer."

Did the captains need to be reminded which ship they were on?

Richard

On 1/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, MikeR said:

I wonder if anyone has had a chance to compare the Trumpeter kit to the plans available from Profile Morskie? If they match then any errors in the plans will translate onto the model as I have a suspicion that Trumpeter may be using the Morskies as reference.

Mike.

I don't have the plans, but I suspect you're right about the source. It would make sense insomuch as Trumpeter copied Morskie's mistake about deck colour. Where Morskie appears to have mistaken the erected awnings in an aerial photograph for light coloured gun deck ahead of the bridge, Trumpeter has copied and provided no planking detail but instead called for beige paint - a fairly ridiculous notion if you think for a moment about what decks are for and what paints the Royal Navy actually used.