Spitfire F/FR Mk.XIV Bubbletop

Paul A H

Spitfire F/FR Mk.XIV Bubbletop

1:144 Mark I Models

spitfirexiv_01.jpg

When the prototype Spitfire took to the air for the first time on 5 March 1936, few involved could have foreseen where the development of the type would lead. By the end of the Second World War, the type had earned itself a place in the history books as well as the nation's psyche. Powered by the two-stage supercharged Griffon 65, the performance of the Mk.XIV was a quantum leap over its forebears, enabling the Spitfire to meet its German foe on equal terms. The FR Mk.XIV was a photo reconnaissance version, modified by Forward Repair Units to carry a single camera in the rear fuselage. 

spitfirexiv_02.jpg

spitfirexiv_03.jpg

Mark I Models have produced quite a range of 1:144 scale kits, including many British WWII and Cold War types. This kit is part of a range of Griffon-engined Spitfire kits released by the Czech manufacturer. The kit is limited run in nature, but the plastic parts are nicely moulded, with crisp detail throughout. There is a small amount of flash present and the sprue attachment points are on the chunky side relative to the scale. As with other kits of single-engined aircraft in the range, you get two Spitfires in the box. As you might expect, construction is fairly straightforward. The cockpit is basic but serviceable, with a separately moulded seat for the pilot, an instrument panel and rear bulkhead as well as a tiny control column. Detail for the instrument panel is provided courtesy of a very small decal. Once the cockpit is complete, the fuselage halves can be joined. The wings are a solid part, although you have the option to remove the wing tips and use the clipped versions supplied. The elevators are also solid, while the rudder is a separate part. The landing gear is nicely detailed and the main gear bays include a small amount of structural detail. The canopy is pretty good, despite its tiny proportions. The camera window is catered for by a decal. 

spitfirexiv_04.jpg

Mark I have included decals for four different schemes:

• Spitfire F Mk.XIV NH745 EB-V, No.41 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Eindhoven, March 1945;
  • Spitfire FR Mk.XIV MV263 GCK, No.125 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Twente, April 1945;
  • Spitfire FR Mk.XIV NH895 NI-K, No.451 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, Wunsdorf, 1945; and
  • Spitfire FR Mk.XIV SG-46 UR-G, No.2 Squadron, Belgian Air Force, Florennes, 1948

spitfirexiv_05.jpg

Conclusion

Surprisingly tiny, even in this scale, Mark I's Griffon-powered Spitfire is nonetheless an appealing little kit. The standard of manufacture looks to be pretty good and it doesn't look as though it will be particularly challenging to build. Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

mark1_logo.jpg

• Like 3