Hercules help please

SandyBay

This is VERY embarrassing, but I’m modelling a C130 Hercules from RAF Lyneham which was the first aircraft I ever worked on as a new engine mechanic. I started on CHF in October 1973 and a year or so later moved onto ‘B’ Line and stayed there until 1978 when I went off on my fitters course.

The thing is, for the life of me I can’t remember what colour the Hercs were when I was there. I’m hoping there is an expert out there on britmodeller who will know whether they were grey and green with a light grey underside or brown and sand with a black underside.

I was only there for five years and went all round the world and must have worked on and flown in every Herc at Lyneham but can’t remember the colour....told you it was embarrassing. 

Thank you in anticipation 

bob

• Haha 1

Bob,

Is this a great website or what? Here are some photos and topic discussion on your subject. Doing an internet search for RAF C-130 Hercules, 1973, it seems the latter scheme you mentioned was the most common. You might also search for RAF C-130 Hercules, Lyneham  What scale and kit are you building? It would be nice to see a finished Herk! I have listed links to two of the better C-130 websites below- maybe they will be helpful to you and other modelers.

We had brand-new 516th TCW C-130E's at Dyess AB in Texas back in the 60's and they were awesome performers- the aircrew took great delight in backing into their parking spots on the ramp for the benefit  the SAC guys, as we shared the base with B-52's....not to mention landing on the grass between the two runways and slamming the props into reverse as soon as the airplane squatted on the main gear and then backing out of the dust cloud! Ah, those were the days for a young plane spotter and model builder! BTW- we are in dire need of a state of the art, new-tool kit of the C-130 in God's Own Scale!

Mike

http://www.c-130.net/

http://www.c-130hercules.net

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

72 modeller you are correct, it IS an awesome forum.

thanks both you and  Lord riot for the links, I’ll have a good read up now.

I remember the first time I was sent out to marshall one backing out of one of the bays over by  ‘A’ line which had to reverse out.

I ‘stupidly’ stood directly in front of the aircraft just like normal marshalling. I could see the pilots waving to me and thought they wanted me to check it was safe to go.

Eventually they shrugged their shoulders, laughed, flashed the lights to start and as I marshalled them backwards...........the prop wash left me leaning forward at 45 dog and powerless to move my bats at all. 🙂

That was when I realised they had the ramp down and the loadie was talking them backwards anyway.

11 hours ago, SandyBay said:

72 modeller you are correct, it IS an awesome forum.

thanks both you and  Lord riot for the links, I’ll have a good read up now.

I remember the first time I was sent out to marshall one backing out of one of the bays over by  ‘A’ line which had to reverse out.

I ‘stupidly’ stood directly in front of the aircraft just like normal marshalling. I could see the pilots waving to me and thought they wanted me to check it was safe to go.

Eventually they shrugged their shoulders, laughed, flashed the lights to start and as I marshalled them backwards...........the prop wash left me leaning forward at 45 dog and powerless to move my bats at all. 🙂

That was when I realised they had the ramp down and the loadie was talking them backwards anyway.

That sounds like a set up to me. My first marshaling job was at Manston in the seventies with Merchantman (Vanguard) G-APES . Unbeknown to me , the pilot was an old hand at Manston. He knew where he was going and of course , how fast he wanted to get there. I was aware that my colleagues were highly amused, however I had the last laugh ,  I stopped the plane and we started again at my pace! Captain Alan Marsh was the pilot (Action Man) and Air Bridge Carriers the operator.

Keith

21 hours ago, SandyBay said:

This is VERY embarrassing, but I’m modelling a C130 Hercules from RAF Lyneham which was the first aircraft I ever worked on as a new engine mechanic. I started on CHF in October 1973 and a year or so later moved onto ‘B’ Line and stayed there until 1978 when I went off on my fitters course.

The thing is, for the life of me I can’t remember what colour the Hercs were when I was there. I’m hoping there is an expert out there on britmodeller who will know whether they were grey and green with a light grey underside or brown and sand with a black underside.

I was only there for five years and went all round the world and must have worked on and flown in every Herc at Lyneham but can’t remember the colour....told you it was embarrassing. 

Thank you in anticipation 

bob

It's not embarrassing as it happens to us all!

8 hours ago, Britman said:

That sounds like a set up to me. My first marshaling job was at Manston in the seventies with Merchantman (Vanguard) G-APES . Unbeknown to me , the pilot was an old hand at Manston. He knew where he was going and of course , how fast he wanted to get there. I was aware that my colleagues were highly amused, however I had the last laugh ,  I stopped the plane and we started again at my pace! Captain Alan Marsh was the pilot (Action Man) and Air Bridge Carriers the operator.

Keith

I was brand new, wet behind the ears and as gullible as they come so I didn’t need much ‘setting up’.

31 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Sounds like you were there during the transition phase, so you could do either!

I was and I’ve been trying to decide which scheme I like best. I’m coming down in favour of grey/green as after I left lyneham I still had lots of interactions with Hercs and that’s the scheme I remember best.