Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

rob

Airfix new tools for 2019, some like 'em, some don't

Recommended Posts

1/48 tiger moth, getting a few of those, release bulldog and demon, yep a few of them and the lunar module set...Getting that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit underwhelmed if I'm honest.  LOTS of re-releases - some of which I remember fondly from my childhood which is nice.  Re-release of the Sea Vixen is welcome but really wondering why they went for the F4 rather than a full FGA9 with the Hunter (will still buy it though but WHERE is the F6 I've had on offer since the summer?)  Apart from that not much for me to get excited about but I'm sure 1/72, armour & maritime modellers will beg to differ & I have no problem with that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Bit underwhelmed if I'm honest.  LOTS of re-releases - some of which I remember fondly from my childhood which is nice.  Re-release of the Sea Vixen is welcome but really wondering why they went for the F4 rather than a full FGA9 with the Hunter (will still buy it though but WHERE is the F6 I've had on offer since the summer?)  Apart from that not much for me to get excited about but I'm sure 1/72, armour & maritime modellers will beg to differ & I have no problem with that! 

 

The 1/48 Hunter F.6 is out now.

 

thanks

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whose molds are all those 1/35 armor from? Based on the selection, and willingness to share molds, my money is on Academy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite pleased with a fair few of new and re -releases. Heron; but would have loved a new tooling though, Fiesler Storch , nice I have a decals for a civvy one for it waiting....Definite for the Tiger Moth and a very good price too!!!  Not upset this time... makes up for the  big Hellcat that doesn't appeal to me. There again I don't do 24th anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

 

 

Basically the 'If Only' C10 USAF scheme (again!) There was a conversion set that supplied a new T2 nose and new engines, but it was still a lot of work.

Perhaps they'll modify the tool to accommodate an RAF of RN version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AMB said:

How many Buccaneer kits do we need?  Surely there are enough decent  kits around for any serious modeller to make a good job of??  Is this joining the never-ending release of Spitfire and F-16 kits...and at £24.99!!! 

Not sure there are any decent kits of the Buccaneer out there, other than the CMR kit at over £60.  This was in my top five 'wants' so I'm not complaining (well, apart from that there is no new tool 1/72 Mosquito with two stage Merlin kit).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Loving the re-release of HMS Victorious, especially with that boxart!

Not that I build ships but I would be very tempted by that one.  I could photoshop it in to the background of my new Buccaneer kit 'in flight'.  The buccaneer that is, not the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie Hugo said:

To be pedantic (or pain in the a) there are 4, two from Airfix (S1 and S2) Frog and Matchbox

To be even more pedantic, the original Airfix kit was closer to the NA39 prototypes than an S1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Perhaps they'll modify the tool to accommodate an RAF of RN version.

It's being released in the Vintage Classics line so don't get your hopes up. Your best bet if you want to model a Jetstream that actually saw service is the AModel kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

It's being released in the Vintage Classics line so don't get your hopes up. Your best bet if you want to model a Jetstream that actually saw service is the AModel kit.

Mmm.  You're probably right.  Pity really.  However, I have the kit from the Airfix club members release and managed to source the M&E Models conversion set, all waiting patiently in the stash.  I wonder how the Airfix kit will sell, given that it is of a mark that never went in to service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

To be even more pedantic, the original Airfix kit was closer to the NA39 prototypes than an S1.

Not a pendant by any means. First issued in 1960 Airfix always boxed it as a NA39 until a rebox in 1979.

 

Source scalemates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Basuroy said:

In an age where Eduard can deliver near scale accurate rivets

I haven't had a good look at Eduard's 1/48th Tempest yet which I believe has some raised rivets but if you mean the holes they put in the skin that need plugging with rivets?  Measure the depth of those divots and then scale them up, don't be surprised if they're deeper than the thickness of the skin gauge on the real aircraft.  You might think they look like rivets but to any aeronautical engineer they look like pulled or overstressed skin.  Please don't tell me they're accurate because they're not

 

 

Edited by Wez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AMB said:

How many Buccaneer kits do we need?  Surely there are enough decent  kits around for any serious modeller to make a good job of??  Is this joining the never-ending release of Spitfire and F-16 kits...and at £24.99!!! 

Ideally as many as the F-14 kits that have been released recently, of the same level of quality and in multiple scales if possible. Then I’ll be satisfied. Otherwise there’s nowt from Airfix that really floats my boat this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wez said:

I haven't had a good look at Eduard's 1/48th Tempest yet which I believe has some raised rivets but if you mean the holes they put in the skin that need plugging with rivets?  Measure the depth of those divots and then scale them up, don't be surprised if they're deeper than the thickness of the skin gauge on the real aircraft.  You might think they look like rivets but to any aeronautical engineer they look like pulled or overstressed skin.  Please don't tell me they're accurate because they're not

 

 

I’ve done just that. In fact I just couldn’t sleep until I’d checked each and every one and lo, they are a number of microns out. Then again, the thickness of the plastic itself is ‘way’ off (it would be like battleship armour to a plane!) while the ‘stressed’ look just isn’t there and the panel lines are way too symmetric. I’m glad I checked and saved the money 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new scheme on the 1:72 Typhoon looks nice, and what looks like a Jg5 scheme for the 190A-8.

 

LouIV...again, wonder what the other scheme is.

 

Great news about the MiG 17, I will be grabbing that for sure.

 

The 1/35 Armour I wouldn't expect in a million years, though I'm not sure the pricing will make much difference over Academys (here in NZ anyway)

 

Overall I think its a pretty good list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Heron is back.

 

Should I?

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

The Heron is back.

 

Should I?

 

Trevor

It's not the most accurate thing, nor the most modern, but it's the only game in town and will go nicely with the A-Model Dove / Devon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see the return of the Bulldog.  A nice little kit of which I could do with a new rendition, having built it (un-rigged) about 25 years ago.  Hopefully it will be released with those nice 19 Sqn bars as my edition had the rather colourless 17 sqn markings.  Still, more interesting than the scheme on 17's current mount!  As for the Demon though, that is a veeeeeery old tool so think I'll give it a miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DannyB said:

Reissue F-15A, F-16A and F/A-18A from Airfix?

 

A55311 - F-15A

 

A55312 - F-16A

 

A55313 - F/A-18A

 

Pretty well priced too, could be good for the returns as long as the tooling can hold up against the much stronger/newer toolings out there. 

 

I quite liked the F-15, raised panel lines but very delicate, looked fine shapewise and detail was pretty good for the time. Today it's sure not up there with the best but at a low price could still be of interest. Main competitor would be the Academy kit, that is also cheap at least in the standard boxing.

The F-16 and the F-18 going by memory were not as nice, the decal schemes proposed for the Hornet though are quite interesting, with a potential problem... the coiver scheme is something for which I've seen no photographic evidence. I hope that Airfix have and the scheme is real, as the only reference I've seen is an Aeromaster sheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...