Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

rob

Airfix new tools for 2019, some like 'em, some don't

Recommended Posts

Well, there's, I think three 1/72d Buccaneers - Airfix (old), Matchbox and Frog. All are a good 40 years old, very short on any kind of detail and have shape issues - hardly "enough decent kits around"!

An excellent choice by Airfix, and I'm pleased the Demon, Bulldog, and Dominie are making a reappearance - but that's about it for me. Still, 1/72nd MiG-17 is an impressive curve-ball!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems that those who were once big players are loosing momentum and became much less significant than they used to be. Looking at Revell's, Trumpeter's and Airfix' announcements compared to what we see as annual output of many other companies it seems so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Is that 414 ‘new’ Hornby products?? Imagine if Airfix came out with even 20% of that?

20% of 414 is 83

Apart from the fact that the Airfix site keeps crashing there appear to be 101 new items listed

 

I have not yet got further than the first page and already my projected spend is over £50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NealParkes said:

Well I know Tan model have their own in the pipeline but I’m not aware of any other new(ish) tooled Buccaners. So it is a welcome addition in my opinion.

I think Tam Model have been putting hit on the back burner probaly due to some potential wind that another main stream manufactuer was going to do one.  Ive been waiting for the 1/72 buc from them for ages andit also appeaers that they moved it up a scale to 1/48. The 1/72 seems to have dissapeared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New tool buccanear kits are like buses, none for ages then two come at once .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Well, there's, I think three 1/72d Buccaneers - Airfix (old), Matchbox and Frog. All are a good 40 years old, very short on any kind of detail and have shape issues - hardly "enough decent kits around"!

An excellent choice by Airfix, and I'm pleased the Demon, Bulldog, and Dominie are making a reappearance - but that's about it for me. Still, 1/72nd MiG-17 is an impressive curve-ball!

To be pedantic (or pain in the a) there are 4, two from Airfix (S1 and S2) Frog and Matchbox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

 

Take your tongue out your cheek immediately Mr Balch!

 

I'm glad as I feared it would be 1/48th!

Well I guess as long as someone keeps issuing a Buccaneer every few years, that will keep some people happy. I'm sure there will be no complaints from those that are happy  with any of the older kits in their stash and can be called 'modellers' and make a good job of them, knowing they will have paid a lot less that £24.99 . Currently the definitive 1/72 Buccaneers are the Czechmaster resin kits, which are second-to-none. 

Just now, AMB said:

 

 

Edited by AMB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

To be pedantic (or pain in the a) there are 4, two from Airfix (S1 and S2) Frog and Matchbox

Actually 6 if we count two excellent resin kits from CMR. Matchbox has also reappeared in Revell guise.

Edited by MarkoZG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AMB said:

Small and cheap is the way to go and prefereably something that hasn't been kitted before!

Like a DH Chipmunk, or Bolton Paul Sea Balliol in 1/48th? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

That would be none, ancient Frog, Airfix and Matchbox long out of production.

Yes,  we have no bananas... :whistle: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AMB said:

Well I guess as long as someone keeps issuing a Buccaneer every few years, that will keep some people happy. I'm sure there will be no complaints from those that are happy  with any of the older kits in their stash and can be called 'modellers' and make a good job of them, knowing they will haved paid a lot less that £24.99 . Currently the definitive 1/72 Buccaneers are the Czechmaster resin kits, which are second-to-none. 

 

 

Wouldn't disagree re Czechmasters, but they are a bit on the expensive side if you want to do two or three. Other than that, we have Airfix's 30 year old S2, Matchbox and Frog's 45 year old S2s and Airfix's 56 year old NA39. So hardly spilling over in modern, accurate kits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see some 1/72 Cold War warriors.

 

Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon

 Nothing for me among these new kits it looks like that I am going to spend my money in other brands models ...

 

Patrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airfix , and special hobby , first need to fix their atrociously wide and deep panel lines in 72nd scale before they release more models. In an age where Eduard can deliver near scale accurate rivets in the same scale for the same price as these two brands , their quality leaves a lot to be desired . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

The 1/48 Sea Vixen returns.

This will be very welcome, break the silly EBay prices and blow the fanciful Trumpeter example back to where it belongs.

 

I always wondered if the Buccaneers on the Victor K.2 boxart was suggestive of a release of that type, just coincidental I guess. Fantastic to see a new mold of it.

 

Airfix do seem to have an outstanding catalogue of British service types now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good stuff for nostalgia market though. I think back fondly on the lunar module, astronauts and Saturn V. And how many conversions of the Demon were tried?

 

Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Basuroy said:

Airfix , and special hobby , first need to fix their atrociously wide and deep panel lines in 72nd scale before they release more models. In an age where Eduard can deliver near scale accurate rivets in the same scale for the same price as these two brands , their quality leaves a lot to be desired . 

How about the Esci reccessed panel lines technology from 80s or Japanese recessed panel lines from late 70s? Even Eduard can't match it, not to mention the Airfix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Charlie Hugo said:

To be pedantic (or pain in the a) there are 4, two from Airfix (S1 and S2) Frog and Matchbox

yeah but all of them very suspect accuracy wise and seee through intakes!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MiG 17? Ok didnt see that coming! :)

1/48 Tiger is a banker - nice one

Good to see the return of the Jetstream and Dominie and wowsers a 1/72 Bucc too - 

Great selection of stuff and a fiver for a Hawker Demon is good value with modern decals too IMHO.

 

Will have to wait for the traffic jam to calm down before I get to have a decent look though.... the site keeps crashing which must be indicative of the interest in their new products...

 

Didnt see the Armour coming either...an unusual choice forAirfix to wander into - but with the US tractor - didnt Thunder Model do that????

 

TT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whose are all those 1/35 armour kits? They're not listed as new tools, so are they 'borrowing' someone else's toolings?

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MarkoZG said:

How about the Esci reccessed panel lines technology from 80s or Japanese recessed panel lines from late 70s? Even Eduard can't match it, not to mention the Airfix.

Not familiar with early Japanese kits but all the 72nd scale Tamiya kits I have feature incredible scale appropriate details(and significantly better than Hasegawa) - the Zero is par comparison . Only Esci original tool I have is the Harrier which was reboxed by Italeri , good surface detail but fit , not so much.

I would rather have no panel line and depict a Museum fresh piece than the lines I find on the Airfix Me262 or the special hobby Gnat. 

Edited by Basuroy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As somebody who ALWAYS picks an older kit from his stash rather than a stunning new tool (it gives me more excuses when I mess up!!)  Im very happy with some of the classic releases especially the price point.  However, repeating myself from last year they have either fixed their stock system OR are in full reverse on the "range culling" policy they announced sometime ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

MiG 17? Ok didnt see that coming! :)

1/48 Tiger is a banker - nice one

Good to see the return of the Jetstream and Dominie and wowsers a 1/72 Bucc too - 

Great selection of stuff and a fiver for a Hawker Demon is good value with modern decals too IMHO.

 

Will have to wait for the traffic jam to calm down before I get to have a decent look though.... the site keeps crashing which must be indicative of the interest in their new products...

 

Didnt see the Armour coming either...an unusual choice forAirfix to wander into - but with the US tractor - didnt Thunder Model do that????

 

TT

Is the Mig a New Tool - or New i.e. somebody elses mould..???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...