Airfix new tools for 2019, some like 'em, some don't

rob

I know most will be excited because of the Buccaneer, but what about the 1/72 MiG-17F ! This is really something interesting,  considering the importance of the type and that there doesn't seem to be any really good kit of the type around

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, NPL said:

I do not hope that people will be disappointed. At the moment, Airfix's home page cannot be accessed.

I expect they will!   Airfix tend to issue kits that no one has requested and few will buy!😴  Probably something BIG for the US market! 

Having siad that, I recall lots of requests for a 1/72nd Nimrod, yet when it came out, few bought it as it was too big, too expensive and the few colour schemes were boring - spray in overall in hemp and then decide where to put it!   Small and cheap is the way to go and prefereably something that hasn't been kitted before!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I know most will be excited because of the Buccaneer, but hat about the 1/72 MiG-17F ! This is really something interesting,  considering the importance of the type and that there doesn't seem to be any really good kit of the type around

Do we know if it's not just a re-issue? New tools don't seem to be indicated.

3 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

12 X 1/35 armour, none British, multiple Tiger I's - what gives? 

Still trying to figure out if they are AFV Club or Academy... they have reboxed Academy before, as we know. Seems an odd selection: as the quintessentially British model company, Airfix really should have some home-grown armour in the range...

best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 2

The whole blurb:

"Welcome to the 2019 Airfix Range!

The team at Airfix would like to offer a very warm welcome to the 2019 Airfix range. 2019 is another exciting year for Airfix, with dozens of new releases over the coming year! This year sees another great year for new models added to the range.

You will find gems like the Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV and de Havilland Tiger Moth in fantastic 1:48 scale. 

For our 1:72 scale fans there's just as exciting news with the wonderful new Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 and MiG-17F' 

And not to be missed at 1:24, our largest scale, the superb Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat. 

We also have new additions to the QUICKBUILD range - the perfect solution for modelling without the mess!

2019 is set to be another fantastic year for plastic modelling!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quote:

Welcome to the 2019 Airfix Range!

The team at Airfix would like to offer a very warm welcome to the 2019 Airfix range. 2019 is another exciting year for Airfix, with dozens of new releases over the coming year! This year sees another great year for new models added to the range.

You will find gems like the Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV and de Havilland Tiger Moth in fantastic 1:48 scale. 

For our 1:72 scale fans there's just as exciting news with the wonderful new Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 and MiG-17F' 

And not to be missed at 1:24, our largest scale, the superb Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat. 

We also have new additions to the QUICKBUILD range - the perfect solution for modelling without the mess!

2019 is set to be another fantastic year for plastic modelling

7 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

For our 1:72 scale fans there's just as exciting news with the wonderful new Blackburn Buccaneer S.2

How many Buccaneer kits do we need?  Surely there are enough decent  kits around for any serious modeller to make a good job of??  Is this joining the never-ending release of Spitfire and F-16 kits...and at £24.99!!! 

Edited by AMB
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AMB said:

How many Buccaneer kits do we need?  Surely there are enough decent  kits around for any serious modeller to make a good job of??  Is this joining the never-ending release of Spitfire and F-16 kits...and at £24.99!!! 

Well I know Tan model have their own in the pipeline but I’m not aware of any other new(ish) tooled Buccaners. So it is a welcome addition in my opinion.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AMB said:

How many Buccaneer kits do we need?  Surely there are enough decent  kits around for any serious modeller to make a good job of??  Is this joining the never-ending release of Spitfire and F-16 kits? 

Take your tongue out your cheek immediately Mr Balch!

I'm glad as I feared it would be 1/48th!

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AMB said:

That would be none, ancient Frog, Airfix and Matchbox long out of production.

• Like 1