Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX Whiffer

The latest finish from my Airfix Therapy Build Thread and the first of 2019: A lightly modified 1/72 Airfix PRXIX. As it’s a Whiffer, it needs a backstory, So in the spirit of young @Procopius’s delightful & engaging build prologues:

(From Whiffypedia)

“Pilot Officer, The Lord Giles Cholmondeley Featherstonehaugh Rodd was one of the RAFs most exemplary WW2 pilots: Fearless, daring and a crack marksman he was truly feared when aloft. Perhaps his greatest achievement came in June 16 1944 when, single handed, he shot down 8 heavy bombers. As his commanding officer observed in the official report, “Rodd’s actions would have been considered more heroic if the bombers had actually belonged to the enemy…

Undeterred by this minor faux-paux, GCFR fearlessly patrolled the skies of south east England, keeping Lancaster pilots and their gunners alert and on their toes. Indeed at least 75 Lancaster’s were found to be inadequately armour plated against the Hispano cannon used by the RAF Spitfires, solely due to Rodders scientific and rigorous actions…In fact many credit his efforts with hastening the end of Nazi Germany: It was said any allied bomber crews with any fuel and ammunition left would often turn back to the Rhine and “Give Jerry another go” rather than tangle with “Rampant Rodders”.

Wisely, in a rare act of wartime competence, RAF top brass moved him to the reconnaissance role, surmising that without any guns, Rodders would inflict less damage to RAF. That said GCFR become the only RAF pilot to receive the Iron Cross from the Luftwaffe for services rendered. They also sent a telegram asking him

Lass etwas für uns, bitte.”

Embracing his new photo reconnaissance role, Rodders threw himself into his work with gusto: Within 3 months he’d mapped out every decent bistro and wine bar in the South of France. This meant, of course, RAF top brass enjoyed fine wine and dining ahead of the Americans and the hated British Army when France was liberated. He was highly commended for this and received a mention in despatches, 2 shillings and 6 pence in cash and a pound of pork scratchings.

Post war, Rodders continued flying with renewed zeal, in his beloved new mount a Spitfire PRXIX named “Brunhilde”  after his mother (the noted English countess Brunhilde Saxe-Tuborg Einspritz  Doppelkupplungsgetriebe Cholmondeley Featherstonehaugh Rodd ). Sadly in early 1954 while executing his famous “reverse J turn” method of parking by locking up his starboard wheel ,  he hastened the destruction of his beloved “Brunhilde” and a visiting USAF Wing Commanders F-86. Rodders promptly limped, slightly singed, to the officers mess and demanded to know,

Which effing Yank parked in my space?!

He promptly resigned his commission and after the RAF top brass had finished their celebratory champagne, was given a full pension, 2 shillings and 6 pence in cash and two pounds of pork scratchings.

He moved to the USA where he turned his hand to business and made his first fortune in the 50’s Texas Hair Oil Boom, when every American male decided what he really wanted was a decent hair style. Flush with cash, he retrieved the remains of “Brunhilde” and had her rebuilt. He also bought the remains of the F-86 which he installed as an outside lavatory.

Brunhilde” was invigorated from her rebuild and Rodders flung her around the skies of Reno, often leading  from the start, mighty Rolls Griffon howling in true Wagnerian style, but always allowing the trailing pilot to overtake  at the last moment on the grounds, as he put it,

Winning is dreadfully vulgar dear boy, it is the kind of thing only an American could possibly enjoy...

Thus he established the Great British Tradition of Sporting Failure.

Flying into his seventies, GCFR made his second fortune by importing hairdryers during the 80’s  Dallas Bobby Ewing Permed Hair Craze when every American male decided the last thing they wanted was a decent hair style. He died peacefully in his sleep, at 475 miles per hour when he & “Brunhilde” re-modelled Mount Rushmore in July 16 1999.

Upon hearing of his death, Squadron leader Melvyn Crustbucket-Bangson (retired), the last surviving RAF WW2 Lancaster pilot said,

Good bloody riddance!

He left $18 million, some Spitfire spare parts  (slightly used) and three pounds of pork scratchings in his will.  Flags were flown at half-mast all over Germany.”

So, on to the Ace of Blue on Blue. WIP for the strong of heart here;

portfront%20.JPG

top1.JPG

exhaustsprop.JPG

lightdetail.JPG

pit.JPG

reartop.JPG

stbd1.JPG

stbd2.JPG

overfly.JPG

renopair.jpg&key=7d929b9c5466b910a4c0a12

porttop.JPG

Thanks for enduring with me, my medication should soon start kicking in soon...

Cheers

Anil

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

had the mind to do a whif with the same kit, but safe to say you've gone in a very different direction to the subject, very lovely subject and superbly executed 

Its amazing what can happen when one finds a large stash of Tamiya rattlecans one had forgotten about...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, murfv said:

Love the Spitfire and really enjoyed the back story, thank you.

Thanks Vincent, ten years living in Dublin helped me to master the fine art of telling a story!

Cheers

Anil (Aka "O'Neill)

Definitely  a 'looker' (expression borrowed from Mickey Spillane vocabulary)!

In fact, she seems to be a whiffer within a whiffer: what if Rotol had decided to switch its production from laminated wood to steel? 😉

Slick work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Might be a Whiiffer Anil, however that scheme is a ‘Should have been’ in my books - that’s so cool.  Quite a humorous back story to go with it, has me thinking that perhaps a drop or two of red may have been consumed whilst thinking up that one? 

Cheers and well played.. Dave 

• Like 1

That plane is a beauty.  :wow: I've often thought a Spit would look great as an air racer and you've demonstrated it to the Nth degree. 

As for the backstory... I was rolling on the floor!  😂 🤣 🤗 I can see Squadron Leader A.C. Plonk will really have to get his finger out on my next build!

• Like 1

Hey everyone, many thanks for the kind words, this really inspires me to mangle build more. 

On 1/7/2019 at 8:43 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Quite a humorous back story to go with it, has me thinking that perhaps a drop or two of red may have been consumed whilst thinking up that one? 

Cheers and well played.. Dave 

Nonsense, may have had a nip or three of this though....

45963731484_bf9d23362b_c.jpg

Now I was doing some primer tests with Alclad and got this, now what would look good in black and gold?

45963741554_31b7c875fa_b.jpg

Cheers

Anil

• Like 1