Meng 'King Tiger' 1/35 (Done!!!)

phlarris

So, a King Tiger appeared down the chimney for Christmas 🙂 It has been suggested that I should keep it for the Tiger Tank STGB in May. However, as this is currently my only kit, I couldn't wait that long, so here it comes (maybe I'll just get another Tiger for May 😉)

IMG_1087

I've read and watched loads about potential suspension problems, so it was with some trepidation that I cracked open the box yesterday. First impressions: the dark red plastic is slightly strange to start with. However, detail is very good. There's a nice little bit of PE for engine grills, and they've helped out with the tracks by including some 'ready-build' straight sections. No metal barrel for me 😞  However, really looking forward to it.

Also, coming straight from a Panzer IV build, this feels huge 🙂 Here goes...

Straight into the chassis and wheels. The wheels come with poly-bushes which enable them to be taken on and off the chassis, which is really useful. Just sprue-attachment cleanup really.

IMG_1089

Despite the horror stories, the suspension sat really well, and the wheels are nice and flat on the surface. Maybe I just got a 'good kit'???

IMG_1088

So I'm always learning. If you want to learn about the different Tiger II variants, then I can recommend this excellent video from the Tanks Museum:

That's all for now... I'm not a quick worker, but will keep you all posted 🙂

Edited by phlarris
  • Like 5

Looking good so far.

I built one of these a while back and had some problems with the upper hull fitting the rear plate at the top. Took some

fiddling and some Tamiya putty but turned out ok.  Otherwise a decent kit and I liked the link and length tracks vs

individual links. Mine didn't come with the metal barrel either but it looks fine.

I think the red plastic is to represent red primer so you can scuff the top coat up and the red shows through. I didn't bother as

it's easy to add some red wherever. I'd much rather work with normal gray or tan colored plastic, seems easier to see and easier on 

the eyes, but that's just me.

King Tigers are my fav so keep it coming.

Lloyd

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigfoot said:

Good start. I too have one of these staring at me from the shelves. I’d only read good things about this kit, hadn’t heard about any issues with the suspension. Will follow this build with interest. 

There is a build video on Youtube that shows him running into the suspension issue.

When looking at the tank head on, the right side road wheels were all angled slightly downward. 

4 hours ago, KonigsStreegan said:

There is a build video on Youtube that shows him running into the suspension issue.

When looking at the tank head on, the right side road wheels were all angled slightly downward. 

King Tiger Build Part 1 - 25:00 on for the problem, 27:07 for the 'money shot'.

King Tiger Build Part 2 - 13:50 for the 'fix'.

Whist there is a very slight angle on the wheels of mine, it is nothing compared to what he is showing...

I snapped up the Porsche turret version at Telford for a ‘daft’ price followed by the interior kit so am keen to see how this goes. Strange why they included the metal barrel in some and not others. Mine also came with a replica map for Caen for some reason. Might be useful for when I invent time travel perhaps.

1 hour ago, phlarris said:

King Tiger Build Part 1 - 25:00 on for the problem, 27:07 for the 'money shot'.

King Tiger Build Part 2 - 13:50 for the 'fix'.

Whist there is a very slight angle on the wheels of mine, it is nothing compared to what he is showing...

Great to know. thanks!

the angle on his road wheels is horrid

Small update. Not loads of progress, but the upper hull is coming together, and the engine grills are on. There are some really small hooks on the engine deck (just visible in the photo). The PE is lovely, but quite a bit thicker than I am used to, so took a bit of cutting.

IMG_1094

Coming along slowly, and I'm skipping a bunch of steps so that I can paint the tools etc. off-model.

So far, really liking the kit. Good fit for everything so far, and the Carpet Monster hasn't bitten yet 🙂

• Like 2

Great start phlarris,

The issue with the suspension was down to the two insert pieces, C3 and C4, sitting slightly too high when fitted in the hull. It resulted in the axle mounting pins on those parts being out of centre with the holes in the hull sides. That, in turn, made the swing arms sit at an angle when fitted.

It's an easy problem to fix, by simply trimming about 1mm from the bottom edge of the insets. On my own build, I only realised what the issue was after I'd firmly glued the inserts in place, so the swing arms remained at an angle. To be honest though, once the tracks were fitted you couldn't really tell the wheels weren't straight.

I believe Meng have made a running change to the parts now, so that's probably the reason you didn't encounter the issue.

Andy:cat:

• Like 2

It's coming along. Upper hull now 'done'. Grab handles replaced and all PE in place. I've decided to paint the pioneer tools and cables 'off-tank', so they're not on there yet.

Upper hull assemblies...

IMG_1100

If anyone from MENG is reading. Is there any chance you could make some of the parts just a little bit smaller? They're not a challenge at the moment 😉

IMG_1099

The full engine deck, just missing the final grilles (next photo), which I'll attach after the base coat is on...

IMG_1105

Additional engine grilles. Nicely formed with the included tool.

IMG_1108

And the full upper hull.

IMG_1103

Enjoy 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KonigsStreegan said:

Handles looks spot on! nice. Any recommendations on the thickness of the rod used for those? 

I use 'garden cable' that I burn the green outer off. Not high tech, but it seems to work. I'm not 100% sure of the thickness, but I drill the holes out to 0.85mm and they fit nicely. It's not pretty on the underside, but does the job. And, yes, for the Rivet Counters amongst you 😉 0.85mm equates to just under 30mm diameter 'in real life', so it may be too big. However, when on the model it looks right (to me at least 🙂), and as I don't count rivets I don't care 😁

Edited by phlarris
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 2:39 AM, bigfoot said:

Good start. I too have one of these staring at me from the shelves. I’d only read good things about this kit, hadn’t heard about any issues with the suspension. Will follow this build with interest. 

Oy! Is the suspension an issue on their Panther kit too? I have the lower hull complete on their Panther Late 'A'. I haven't heard of this issue....maybe because it's NOT an issue on the Panther.

Edited by J.P.

On 1/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, phlarris said:

If anyone from MENG is reading. Is there any chance you could make some of the parts just a little bit smaller? They're not a challenge at the moment 😉

IMG_1099

Enjoy 🙂

Don't listen to the bad man, Meng. :)

You keep those details coming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, J.P. said:

Oy! Is the suspension an issue on their Panther kit too? I have the lower hull complete on their Panther Late 'A'. I haven't heard of this issue....maybe because it's NOT an issue on the Panther.

I haven’t heard anything about any problems with their Panther kit.

And to be honest, I haven’t had any with this one. The fit has been excellent. I’ve just fitted the upper hull, and it is very snug. Certainly no filler required with the front and back fit. It’s finally starting to look like a tank 😀

Some days you have sessions where you get to the end, and can't really see where all the time and effort went. Today was not one of those days 🙂

I've done all I want to on the hull for the time being, so time to move on to the turret...

IMG_1123

Still some work to finish it off, but it's coming along... and it's finally starting to look like a tank!!!

IMG_1121

The turret has gone together really well. There's a very small amount of filling to do around the side at the back (probably down to me rather than the kit), but other than that, the fit is excellent.

Still amazed by the size difference between the Panzer IV and the Tiger II. It'll be nice to photograph them together when the Tiger is done.

And a question to finish is all off. Why the hell do we still prep and sand parts that no-one is ever going to see???!!!

Edited by phlarris
  • Like 3

Decision made. I've had a go at the plastic barrel supplied with the kit. I've filed it and sanded it, but am still not happy. Metal barrel on its way 🙂

IMG_1125

I'm sure I could have got it looking good. However, the muzzle brake on the metal barrel is sooo much nicer. Who doesn't like a metal barrel 🙂 

• Like 1

Barrel fitted...

IMG_1158

and tracks on their way....

IMG_1157

Meng helpfully provide a jig to aid you with getting the top sag, and some 'ready-built' track sections (top and bottom) where the runs are straight. All in all pretty good.

Getting there...

Edited by phlarris
  • Like 3

• phlarris changed the title to Meng 'King Tiger' 1/35 (Tracks update)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • phlarris changed the title to Meng 'King Tiger' 1/35 (Undercoat...)

Tracks... Love them, and hate them 🙂 Now 'primed' with a track mix loosely based on  the 'Andy's Hobby Headquarters' track mix. Ready for a bit of gentle dusty weathering.

FACB0BC4-FC99-44AB-BD0F-61F2814FB81D

Now on to the road wheels... and everything else 🙂 

• Like 3