Meng 'King Tiger' 1/35 (Done!!!)

phlarris

9 hours ago, Jack Klugman said:

Nice kit, I have one (with the extra interior obviously !)that I have yet to start but you have done a solid job with the model.

I did look at the interior kit for this, and the fully workable tracks. However, I decided to stick with the basic kit and do what I could with that. It's taken enough time with this. I can only imagine how many months it would take me to do the full interior too 😨

The road-wheel hedgehog returns...

IMG_1211

Primed and now a nice shade of dark yellow... I love my airbrush. It is a little bit intimidating at times, but it's such a delicate, fine instrument. On to the 3-tone ambush camo. Wish me luck...

• Like 3

So... The camo starts. With a great deal of trepidation, I broke out the Panzer Putty that a friend has lent me. The results - only the turret so far. Base dark yellow, followed by nato green, then nato brown...

On with the Panzer Putty. It felt very strange splodging goo all over my lovely model:

IMG_1213

A few green splodges. Lesson learned from this. Mask better so that I can spray from 'normal distance', avoid overspray and ensure I don't get the paint too thick.

IMG_1214

A second masking of PP and we're ready for the brown.

IMG_1216

OK, that's a lot of brown! Let's hope it looks OK in the final reveal...

IMG_1218

And after carefully pealing back the putty...

IMG_1220

IMG_1221

A long way off perfect, and I've for the chassis to go now, but a good start, and something I can build on...

• Like 6

• phlarris changed the title to Meng 'King Tiger' 1/35 (Camo vs Panzer Putty!!!)
2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Would it not have been easier to do the camo in reverse? Brown then green then dunkelgelb? 

Possibly... My thinking is that it is easier to cover lighter colours with a darker ones, rather than the other way round... On to the chassis...

Well I finally got round to the spraying the camo on the chassis...

IMG_1247

It's not perfect, but should be a good base to work from. Next on to the 'Ambush spots'. If anyone has any advice on the best way to apply these, I'm all ears... I've seen them painted, dabbed, sprayed... Any ideas?

As always, I'm a bit horrified by how bright it looks. Luckily, oils ,washes and mud will sort that out.
Whatever you're doing, enjoy it, and enjoy the challenge 🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, phlarris said:

It's not perfect, but should be a good base to work from. Next on to the 'Ambush spots'. If anyone has any advice on the best way to apply these, I'm all ears... I've seen them painted, dabbed, sprayed... Any ideas?

As always, I'm a bit horrified by how bright it looks. Luckily, oils ,washes and mud will sort that out.
Whatever you're doing, enjoy it, and enjoy the challenge 🙂

I have been trying out different methods of camouflage application on panzers, I regretted using masking fluid when I did the base colours on my Jagdpanzer IV as the masking fluid did not release cleanly and was a nightmare to remove from nooks and crannies. I ended up free handing the olive and brown, but my Iwata CS airbrush worked fine even using Hataka paint, but for the spots I used a plastic card mask with holes made to whatever size you are happy with.  The next problem is positioning the spots to make them appear random, the answer I found was to use a clear piece of plastic card, you have to keep cleaning it between sprays but it does work well.

IMG_0894

The nearest Jagdpanzer has been done how I described, the far one by dry decal disc camo (Archers).  The photo was taken before any weathering,  I have just about finished them ready to enter into the Panzer IV GB.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Dots done... After loads of experimenting with small brushes, dowel etc, I finally settled on a filed down toothpick. It looks very weird, but will look much better when I break out the oils...

IMG_1285

IMG_1288

Now on to the cables and tools...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bryan71 said:

Nice work.I’ve got this model to do next.I had a go with panzer putty but struggled a bit

I have to admit... it wasn’t easy. I found it best to find a camo scheme and follow an actual example. That way you had something to try to ‘copy’ - kudos to anyone who can find my ‘muse’ 😉

Try to work out what shapes you need to put down first, then what will come next. Also, don’t expect it to be perfect first time. Don’t be afraid to go back and touch up, redo a bit here and there.

Finally, remember that you’re going to muddy and weather and chip the hell out of it anyway, so you can hide any imperfections at a later date 😀

And finally, finally, just enjoy it 🍺

Edited by phlarris
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, phlarris said:

I have to admit... it wasn’t easy. I found it best to find a camo scheme and follow an actual example. That way you had something to try to ‘copy’ - kudos to anyone who can find my ‘muse’ 😉

Try to work out what shapes you need to put down first, then what will come next. Also, don’t expect it to be perfect first time. Don’t be afraid to go back and touch up, redo a bit here and there.

Finally, remember that you’re going to muddy and weather and chip the hell out of it anyway, so you can hide any imperfections at a later date 😀

And finally, finally, just enjoy it 🍺

Hmmm, just purchased Panzer Putty for my Chi-Ri, hope its not to problematic 🤔

Panzer putty is fantastic when it come to really sharp camo.  I really like it. Will use it on my hetzer build as well. The only early experience I can share. Start smaller with the coverage as you would think it should be. As it flows it will increase coverage. And you can always reshape it. Even when already on the tank. Money well spent

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rogue705 said:

Hmmm, just purchased Panzer Putty for my Chi-Ri, hope its not to problematic 🤔

Nope, you’ll be fine. I really liked the stuff. Just needs a bit of thinking through if you have s 3-colour scheme 👍

Just now, phlarris said:

Nope, you’ll be fine. I really liked the stuff. Just needs a bit of thinking through if you have s 3-colour scheme 👍

Okee dokee....lets see how it goes 🙂

• Like 1

• phlarris changed the title to Meng 'King Tiger' 1/35 (Weathering time...)
  • 2 weeks later...

So, weathering and a bit of chipping. Starting to come along now.

IMG_1344

IMG_1345

IMG_1346

I'd really like to dirty up the engine deck a bit. Any suggestions (to simulate dirt, oil etc.) gratefully received 🙂

Happy modelling!!!

• Like 4

• phlarris changed the title to Meng 'King Tiger' 1/35 (Done!!!)
  • 1 year later...
On 07/01/2019 at 18:30, Nocoolname said:

I snapped up the Porsche turret version at Telford for a ‘daft’ price followed by the interior kit so am keen to see how this goes. Strange why they included the metal barrel in some and not others. Mine also came with a replica map for Caen for some reason. Might be useful for when I invent time travel perhaps.

The first allied encounter with King Tigers, was with the Porsche Turreted version at Caen in 1944.