Royal Australian Navy Wirraway

abat

10 minutes ago, spaddad said:

They're not 'stickers', they're decals or transfers.

'Cept. for some reason, some folk on here seem to decry the term decal & use the terms transfers or stickers as a sop to the youthful origins of their hobby, imho of course. :)  I don't seek to include the OP in this.  I'm happy to call them decals, even the traditionalists know what I refer to & its easier to type.

Steve.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stevehnz said:

'Cept. for some reason, some folk on here seem to decry the term decal & use the terms transfers or stickers as a sop to the youthful origins of their hobby, imho of course. :)  I don't seek to include the OP in this.  I'm happy to call them decals, even the traditionalists know what I refer to & its easier to type.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I'm not really a pedant but there are a few things "doing my head in" at the moment. I was away from the hobby for quite a while having only got back into it over the last 2 or 3 years & since I've been back I've noticed a few things that really open my box. One is the use of "stickers". Stickers are things you peel off a paper backing & stick to whatever it is they were made for by means of an integral adhesive backing. They are usually supplied in toys aimed at children, packets of bubble gum with photo's of footballers or whatever on them or in kits which offer a choice of decals or "stickers". I started modelling in 1965 & don't remember ever seeing in any of the modelling magazines available at the time any reference to stickers or at any time up to 2000/2001 which is when I stopped modelling.

Another thing currently rattling my cage is the use of "aircrafts" instead of aircraft. I know english can baffle people for whom it is not their first language but I have started to notice english speakers using it. I can only put this down to a decline in the educational systems of the various english speaking nations. Like it or not one aircraft is an aircraft, many aircraft are still aircraft. I was watching an american produced documentary the other day on amphibious assault ships & had to turn it off as the moron presenting it kept referring to the ships "hovercrafts".,

cheers,

spad

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No disagreement from me to what you say @spaddad  there is a sort of inverse pedantry at work here I think, but for what ever reason, I'm happy to live & let live on this, I've plenty other things outside this hobby I seek refuge & relaxation in to worry about. That's not intended as criticism, just my own point of view fwiw.

6 minutes ago, spaddad said:

I was watching an american produced documentary the other day on amphibious assault ships & had to turn it off as the moron presenting it kept referring to the ships "hovercrafts".,

Answered your own dilemma there. 'Muracans, put them among the non English speakers, ;) especially Sky commentators. 

Steve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

This rings true Steve as in my youth (60/70’s) we did call them stickers, probably because we weren’t sure of the correct pronunciation of decal.

Sounds like we're of similar vintage & back then I always knew them as transfers, possibly that is what the kits instructions referred to them as. I don't know where decals came from, possibly 'Muraca ;) i use it 'cause its easy to say & spell. :)

Lets get back to saying nice things about that lovely Wirraway of yours, I'm looking forward to seeing it complete, the trainer scheme so suits these old girls. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I don't know where decals came from, possibly 'Muraca 

Close.

(from Wikipedia)

A decal (/ˈdiːkæl/, /dɪˈkæl/, /ˈdɛkəl/, /ˈdeɪkæl/) or transfer is a plastic, cloth, paper or ceramic substrate that has printed on it a pattern or image that can be moved to another surface upon contact, usually with the aid of heat or water.

The word is short for decalcomania, which is the English version of the French word décalcomanie.

The technique was invented by Simon François Ravenet, an engraver from France who later moved to England and perfected the process he called "décalquer" (which means to copy by tracing); it became widespread during the decal craze of the late 19th century.

Contents

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sounds like we're of similar vintage & back then I always knew them as transfers, possibly that is what the kits instructions referred to them as. I don't know where decals came from, possibly 'Muraca ;) i use it 'cause its easy to say & spell. :)

Lets get back to saying nice things about that lovely Wirraway of yours, I'm looking forward to seeing it complete, the trainer scheme so suits these old girls. :) 

Steve.

Thanks Steve, it won’t be long now. I haven’t completed a kit for well over a year so I’ll be thrilled to get this one over the line. 

38 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Close.

(from Wikipedia)

A decal (/ˈdiːkæl/, /dɪˈkæl/, /ˈdɛkəl/, /ˈdeɪkæl/) or transfer is a plastic, cloth, paper or ceramic substrate that has printed on it a pattern or image that can be moved to another surface upon contact, usually with the aid of heat or water.

The word is short for decalcomania, which is the English version of the French word décalcomanie.

The technique was invented by Simon François Ravenet, an engraver from France who later moved to England and perfected the process he called "décalquer" (which means to copy by tracing); it became widespread during the decal craze of the late 19th century.

Contents

That’s really interesting background Rob. Thanks for sharing. 

I’m wondering how to best paint the exhausts. They’re only small but a distinctive feature. Any tips how to beat approach this?

Wirraway_A20_644_Photo_by_Luke_Bryant_a.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 11:14 PM, stevehnz said:

Thank goodness for that or I might have to revert to calling them stickers. ;) :D

Steve.

The instructions for my Nichimo 1/20 Hughes 500 described them as decalcomania, my first encounter with that term. I found it very quaint!

And now back to the Wirra.

• Haha 2

On 2/9/2019 at 11:51 PM, abat said:

Any tips how to beat approach this?

Exhausts are a bit of a black art, but my quick & dirty way is some humbrol gunmetal with a touch of brown paint mixed it to give a vaguely metallic heat affected look. At least in the Wirraway the exhausts are small, something like a Spitfire lends itself to some dry brushing a whiteish pale grey over the rear ones to simulate the effects of the lead in the petrol, heavier dry brushing the further back you go, stubby exhausts like the Wirraway don't need too much attention to my mind but don't fall into the traps of painting them black, as I used to 50 years ago or brown for rust, they're a subtle mix of shades, looking at some colour photos on line is a good start, try harvards/texans for variety.

Steve.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 9:51 PM, abat said:

Any tips how to beat approach this?

I usually paint exhausts with a 50:50 mix of brown and aluminium paints.  It looks bright at first, but I then go over it with a black dry-brushing or weathering pastels, and they turn out quite nice, to my eye.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Exhausts are a bit of a black art, but my quick & dirty way is some humbrol gunmetal with a touch of brown paint mixed it to give a vaguely metallic heat affected look. At least in the Wirraway the exhausts are small, something like a Spitfire lends itself to some dry brushing a whiteish pale grey over the rear ones to simulate the effects of the lead in the petrol, heavier dry brushing the further back you go, stubby exhausts like the Wirraway don't need too much attention to my mind but don't fall into the traps of painting them black, as I used to 50 years ago or brown for rust, they're a subtle mix of shades, looking at some colour photos on line is a good start, try harvards/texans for variety.

Steve.

12 minutes ago, Beggsy said:

I usually paint exhausts with a 50:50 mix of brown and aluminium paints.  It looks bright at first, but I then go over it with a black dry-brushing or weathering pastels, and they turn out quite nice, to my eye.

Thanks Steve and Beggsy, I’ll proceed along those lines. Andrew

• Like 1

All is now revealed! I’ve put on a semi-gloss final coat after some (very) light weathering. Once that cures I’ll do the final assembly and touch ups. I like how the exhausts came out (thanks @Beggsy @stevehnz) and might dry brush a bit of black over them as well. It’s been a great build with a few challenges but I’m close to the line now. Next post will be RFI. 

i-rvs58d8-L.jpg

i-zsbVxjf-L.jpg

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Looking very nice. Canopy is looking particularly crisp.

Stuart 

Thanks Stuart, I’m very pleased with how it came out. 

Andrew 

That's looking good, I particularly like the choice of a navy bird. On the subject of finishing exhausts how about having a look at the exhaust system on your car, after all they perform the same function. Unless your exhaust is stainless steel it should weather & colour exactly the same as an aircraft system. I also think it's possible that the look of exhausts could vary depending on local climatic conditions. By that I mean if you live in the cold damp & downright wet conditions of the Northern climes your exhaust could age differently than if you have lived predominantly in the hot dry conditions of large areas of the southern hemisphere.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rob85 said:

She’s looking a treat! Really nice work of an uncommon subject. Looking forward to you getting this squared away

Rob

Thanks Rob, getting close. Undercarriage fitted this afternoon. 

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This is looking very classy!

Martian 👽

Out of this world, perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, spaddad said:

That's looking good, I particularly like the choice of a navy bird. On the subject of finishing exhausts how about having a look at the exhaust system on your car, after all they perform the same function. Unless your exhaust is stainless steel it should weather & colour exactly the same as an aircraft system. I also think it's possible that the look of exhausts could vary depending on local climatic conditions. By that I mean if you live in the cold damp & downright wet conditions of the Northern climes your exhaust could age differently than if you have lived predominantly in the hot dry conditions of large areas of the southern hemisphere.

Thanks! Good advice to look at real life. 

13 hours ago, abat said:

Thanks! Good advice to look at real life. 

Exhausts! Yes I had a little tip on that. Mr hobby do metal paints that you paint on then can rub to bring out the metal effect, rather effective I’ve found